JokuMuu's Learning Log

I was quite tempted to tag you there from the get go @BurnsRhythm :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like Jari has a similar teaching method as Justin. Learn it correctly the first time which takes time.

Yes he does it’s in module 9 lesson 2.

Good to hear you’ve found a really good teacher.

1 Like

Wanna fight @stitch ? :slightly_smiling_face: :nerd_face:

This one as shown in the old beginner course https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/the-dreaded-f-chord-bc-161 ?

It’s not mentioned in module 9.2 anymore. There will surely be good reasons for this.

Yes. It seems I have been really lucky. It could have all too well been possible that the first lesson work have been nothing but a shiny soap bubble.

Technically that is a F/C :wink:

1 Like

So whether the B- string in the first fret is fretted or not does not have a lot of meaning since the C note is fretted in the third fret fifth string anyway?

Note doubled hence not strictly necessary. Got it. I think :nerd_face:

And you can play an F on the 6th string with your thumb too…

1 Like

I thought so. Guess, did I try already? :innocent: Works maybe in 20 % of the cases, which isn’t half bad.

Really beautiful to see that learning the notes on the fretboard a bit better does bear some fruit already :tangerine: :apple: :strawberry:

And a lot easier than the Barre Chord F in that position…two frets up it’s G, 2 more it’s A. 3 more it’s C, 2 more and it’s D.

1 Like

Aah …yes, of course the shortcut is movable as well. I can get it until C. Can’t master enough precision for D yet :nerd_face:

This is quite a skill to develop. Try playing along and watching YouTube videos and work out fingering and voicings. Sometimes you can work out the key just by looking.

1 Like

Boy this thread has been busy while I’ve been Blimming around elsewhere. Great write up, review and assessment of both you and your teacher. Jari sounds like he knows his onions, good to see you signed up for the16 week stint. Looking forward to the outcome. As for playing in front of others, its a nightmare and I remember it will back in the late 90s, when I used to go round to my boss (and friend) house when I first started. It got better with time and we often used to jam at work on a Sunday night shift, 8pm start but the graft didn’t kick in until midnight, so we’d play for a couple of hours. Took me a while to get used to it but sounds like you’re in safe hands. Enjoy Nicole and keep us posted !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for emerging from the BLIM-depths for a moment :ocean:

It has been very busy here, yes. I’m grateful for the helpful comments I have received from community members.

Let’s see when I understand that there is no use in being nervous when playing guitar in those one on one lessons. It might still take some time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I should be devasted. I should be wallowing in tears. Unconsolably.

I’m not though. Instead I am very happy.

My third in person guitar lesson is behind me. Several issues with my strumming and especially strumming with a pick were identified. Practicing more frequently with a metronome recommended. Foot tapping suggested.

Practice song for now is “Knocking on heaven’s door”. First with simple strumming (not 16th note strumming yet) just to work on my strumming technique. The idea is to have some kind of jam session in the next lesson - I’ll play the rhythm and Jari the solo(s).

So, it’s again back to basics. It’s still about being patient. But I realized today that combining in person lessons with JG does in fact work well for me :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

its not " again " its " still "

it will take weeks , and months … the journey is slow

1 Like

Great song to practice rhythm. You can start from simple strumming to learn the pattern, but there is a lot more posibilities later for pick / strum combinations. You can add finally some chord embellishments with pinkie finger as well as some hammer ons. I had loads of fun and learned a lot from this song.

1 Like

Guess, did I yesterday evening still… a) end up watching Justin’s “Knocking on heaven’s door” lesson and b) end up checking your related AVOYPs? :smile: :smile: :smile:

I agree, it’s a great song to work on, building it up from the very basics to more complicated strumming embellishments etc. Who knows, maybe I’ll graduate go the Guns’n’Roses version one day … :rose:

1 Like

@JokuMuu A nice alternative is Rise by Gabrielle (from the film Bridget Jones Diary). It uses a sample of the Knocking On Heavens Door riff, so it’s the same. And Justin has a lesson on it if you want to check it out out.

1 Like

:smiley:

GnR is not that difficult, you will be surprised. It just require some patience and very slow picking tempo initially. :slight_smile:

That song can become rather tedious after a while with its repeated 3 chords

But, but, but… Mr. Zimmermans song has four basic chords G, D, Am and C? :open_mouth: Or do you mean the Gabrielle one @rorystrat?

That sounds intriguing @Boris1565 , very intriguing. Very slow picking tempo is all I can muster at the moment :laughing:

Thanks for the idea @ziggysden . Hmm… If all else fails I might go for this radio pop three chord version… (Let’s hope it won’t come to this :sunglasses:)

1 Like