July Thread: June is a Comin'; Dana Lyons (cover); This Is (Aslan cover)

Only if I hit that link :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi Brian,

that was a truely enjoyable listen and definitely cheered me up after an awfully long day at work! :smiley: So thanks a lot for that. :slight_smile:

Playing, singing and storytelling just walked hand in hand nicely throughout your performance, it just fits! Haven’t heard the tune before, but you made me like it a lot with the first few bars! :clap: :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was nice Brian. Your singing is getting even better recently, that song worked really well for your range.

Playing was good, but where is the pick or fingerstyle? I’m used to seeing Brian doing new stuff these days! :crazy_face:

It does make some difference in tone. Something to do with the order of harmonics, if you strum close to the 12th fret you’re emphasing the 2nd order harmonic, closer to the bridge is different. But you do you!

2 Likes

Not at all!

Yes! I did!
Well done on the song choice. Didn’t know it before. I like the melacholy, beautiful.
As always, I like your relaxed playing and strumming, kind of a own trademark. And you cover the most important aspect, bringing joy to others.
I agree with JK, your singing got even better. So I had a really enjoyable listen, thank you for sharing. I’m already curious about the “edgy” song for the livestream.

1 Like

You guys clogging up my thread with off-piste content? I think that belongs in the guitly pleasures column… :roll_eyes:

@Lisa_S ah, back on track… Vielen Dank :smiley:

@jkahn Cheers mate :smiley: Yes, since I had the op and my mojo is returning, I’ve just been doing the enjoyable bit of learning songs rather than looking at technique (let alone tone :roll_eyes:). I’ll probably indulge myself till after the summer hols and be a bit more focused in Sept :laughing: :crossed_fingers:

Not quite sure how where you pluck the string will cause different harmonic emphasis, but will take your word for it. I just had a quick experiment and find that the tone up at the nut sounds the same as down at the bridge. The closer you get to the the center of the string, the fuller the sound… and we know I’m full of it :rofl:

Vielen Dank, Andrea :smiley:
Glad you liked it.

Rookie mistake! Never hype/raise expectations before a performance :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

That was a nice enjoyable song. Pleasing to listen to. Great imagery to visualize and enjoyed the love story.

@JokuMuu Nice pickup on the seagulls. I had to go back and listen for them.

2 Likes

It fitted the song so well that I at thought at first that I had only imagined it, so I did have to go back as well before posting to make sure that I’m not only imagining things :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Pam, much appreciated and glad you liked it. :smiley:
I guess A Flock of Seagulls was a local Liverpool band :rofl:

BL doing covers his way. Good to listen to as always. No need to check out the originals, I have never heard of most songs that you cover before, and you make them your own anyway. Keep doing your thing. We are well past commenting on this, that and the other – just sit back and enjoy things at this point. That’s what I do any way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff Brian. Aslan were the first band I really got into when I was in school back in Wexford. Really good job singing this one as it’s not an easy one to sing. RIP Christy Dignam!

1 Like

Much appreciated @CT. I agree, I don’t go for comparisons to originals and only ever share a link if I’m particularly fond of a version :smiley:
It’s been a while since you treated us to an acoustic strum ‘n’ sing song from sunny CA. Consider it a request :wink:

@Eddie_09 Ah yes, that doesn’t surprise me. We’ve been missing your contributions, but good to see you dipping back in when time allows. Hope you’re still getting enough playing time.
Cheers

Yes it’s been a while since I posted anything and it’s been almost as long since I learned anything. Barely had the time to play these past few months and my poor guitars are feeling very neglected :slightly_frowning_face:. Been a busy summer here so hopefully once the kids return to school I can find the time to get back into the swing of things. I Hope life is treating you well!!!

1 Like

How kind of you! New projects are brewing. May not be strummers, but I’m not dead in the water yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Brian, and thanks for this treat :hugs:. Both songs were an absolute pleasure to listen to :blush:.

You know, I really like the way you play and sing - a fantastic entertainer :star_struck:.
And I love the sound of the seagull, too - this comes from a person living too far away from any coast :wink:.

1 Like

It’s pretty much all been said above. I don’t know how you do it, Brian, but every time I open your posts they give me what I need at the moment, and for that I thank you. Well done on both, and thanks for smoothing out my day yet again.

2 Likes

@NicoleKKB Vielen Dank :smiley:
Much appreciated. Your recent Springsteen enthusiasm had me go back and rewatch the Boss on Broadway solo show. Excellent!

@oldhead49 Following folks’ progress over the years is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Community. It’s impossible not to share our personalities (warts included! :laughing:). Thank goodness most people are kind and generous :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Never heard either song before.
June is a Comin’:
Good storytelling lyrics - delivered very well. Nice dynamics.

This Is was my fave of the two.
Thought you carried it off very well. The bridge works nice.
The up-tempo beat suited you.

Hope the open mic went well.

Digger

1 Like

Hi Brian,
I took in the first song. I found it a likeable tune that was well played, sung and done! Good job all around mate!

Keep rollin!
LB

1 Like

@Digger72 Cheers, mate :smiley:
Ta for the listen and positive comments.
Glad you enjoyed and I’m now off to have a listen to something ‘wicked:wink: :rofl:

@LBro Good morning, Sir!
Always good to hear from you and thank you kindly for dropping by. Much appreciated :smiley:

OK these multi-track once a month threads are still proving difficult to follow, must be me age :older_man:

Not come across Aslan before but that was an enjoyable romp and as usual well played and sung. Happy to listen to your crooning without a visit to the OT. Keep em coming and I’ll try my best to find them !!

:sunglasses: