Just an observation of mine

I also take 1on1 in person lessons and I’m going to be off for a month so I ask my instructor to give me an assignment. The assignment is learning the 5 positions of the minor pentatonic scale. Front to back, up and down the neck. I guess I have been lazy with my left hand and had it wrapped around the back too far and the notes were note ringing out clearly. So I rotated my hand slightly towards the front and what a difference. Not only with the scales, but with songs. Much nicer and clearer. This has been on one of my acoustics which has a wider neck and and bigger strings. This afternoon I’ll how it effects the electric guitars. Thanks for listening.

1 Like

Hi Scott,
Since you didn’t ask a question I just give a comment.
Justin and many teachers with him say that it makes no sense to learn all the patterns at the same time … first be able to apply the first one completely, then the next one etc … and believe me that you will benefit the most from it that way and it will learned you things the most effectively.
Greetings,Rogier

4 Likes

Thank you Sir. Yes, I remember that lesson. This time around I did learn the 1st front to back with speed and alternate picking. Then the 2nd and now the 3rd. One day all 5. Also doing different things with them. I am not advocating that everyone do this, however since I’m retired and recovering from surgery I have the time.

Hey Scott,

Good luck on your assignment. A worthy one. Just to reiterate @roger_holland , go in with the mindset of learning the actual scale, not just the patterns/ shapes. The sound, the intervals, how the intervals funtion/ sound together. Do it this way and the patterns, (the 5 plus others besides), will essentialky reveal themselves.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Absolutely. That’s what it’s all about. The whole package. The why. I’ve been too lazy and it’s the perfect time to start getting it together. Thanks.