Just got my guitar PLEK'd

Just picked up my beloved Artist Les Paul back today from Rob at PortMac Guitars, after having it PLEKed, complete maintenance overhaul, full setup. I finally took the plunge on getting it PLEKed after a lot of consideration over a period of time, as most of the frets were starting to get too flat, and choke a bit here and there.
I was a bit concerned some of the frets were too worn, but Rob said I had plenty of height left, but theyā€™d obviously seen plenty of use over the last few years. ( Mis-use more like it :nerd_face:).

Well, Iā€™m absolutely blown away at the result, even with my high expectations. I canā€™t explain adequately in words the unbelievable difference. Literally much better than brand new. I never knew a guitar could feel so comfortable in my hands. Considerably better than any guitar Iā€™ve ever picked up. The feel, the clarity, the susssstaaaaainnnnn etc, all superb :sunglasses:.

Now this is not a ā€˜high endā€™ guitar in the normal sense that it cost thousands of $s, but it is a quality instrument that Iā€™m quite fond of; so certainly worth getting PLEKed, even though the whole process is not relatively cheap.

The central part of the process was leveling/crowning/polishing all the frets. I had a new bone nut put in as well. 30 or so other checks, refinements done as well; eg. Neck, fretboard, electronics, machine heads, jack, knobs/ switches etc.

My LP has had a lot of use over the last 3 Ā½ years; it was with me at the beginning, with all my struggles and frustrations; before I could even bend a string; so it seems fitting that she is renewed, with the PLEK process restoring her to beyond brand new.

For those unfamiliar with PLEK machines, hereā€™s a link to my local shop.

Thereā€™s relatively few of these PLEK machines in the world, outside of the big name factories. And at about $AUS 250K each, its a serious investment. These guys do a roaring trade Australia-wide, and have PLEKed over 10,000 guitars. I believe there are only 4-5 machines here in Australia; and these guys own 2 of them.
Canā€™t recommend the process high enough. Nothing can match the precision of these machines (1/1000th mm), and what they can achieve in experienced hands. And thats the key I think; having a highly skilled luthier at the helm.

The only downside to all this? My Artist Telecaster sounds ā€˜shiteā€™ to me now, and Iā€™ve got no more ā€˜guitarā€™ money, probably for a while :sunglasses:.

Hereā€™s a couple of before/ after shots.

BEFORE

About to go in for surgery

Closeups of fretboard condition (look at all that old ā€˜deathgripā€™, and all that bending practice :rofl:).

AFTER

Cheers, Shane

23 Likes

Interesting to read about the outcome of the Plek process, thanks for sharing, Shane! Happy you got a real improvement on your guitar. Thomannā€™s in Germany is offering a Plek Service too but I havenā€™t heard about any experiences with that so far.
Enjoy your ā€œnewā€ guitar!

1 Like

Interesting to read that Shane and a great result. Iā€™m curious, what kind of fret wire does your guitar have (because Iā€™m curious what kind of wear to expect on mine), and had you had a luthier setup on it before youā€™d had it PLEKed? Also, have you considered stainless steel frets? Iā€™ve heard from a luthier stainless steel are really good.

1 Like

Thanks for the share Shane, itā€™s very interesting to read about your experience and how positive it has been for you.
Does that mean youā€™ll be leaving your Tele alone now until you can get it PLEKed?

Of course we now need to see a video of your old/new guitar and you in action. :wink:

I have SS on my warmoth tele and they donā€™t feel or play much different but they should last a lot longer

Hey JK,

Yep mate, more than thrilled with the result.

My frets are just the standard nickel compound.
The guitar has had a couple of luthier setups in the 3 years, and Iā€™ve done some basic maintenance. Cetainly no fretwork though, other than a few good polishes in that time. So you could say 3 solid years playing it everyday is not bad, given they are foundational years with all the sloppy technique etc.

Have I thought about stainless steel frets? Yes, I think about SS frets all the time. If Iā€™m ever financial again, my next guitarā€™s very first spec will be stainless steel frets for sure.
Unfortunately, my financial life changed catastrophically 2 years ago, so anything beyond the basics of anything is rare in recent years. I got this guitar PLEKā€™d with a oneoff cash windfall. Deemed it the best way to have the greatest impact on my guitars. Seems I got it right this time.
Getting a guitar refretted with stainless steel frets is going to set you back between AUS $800-$1000.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Nice Share, Shane :smiley:
Always good to have someoneā€™s personal experience, as opposed to a link with review.
So glad youā€™re happy with it.
Glad I donā€™t have to go down that path yet- Iā€™m still at that death-grip phase of cowboy & barre chords and have avoided the soft-touch/light-fingered lead work you do so well. (Also, my workhorse electric came with SS frets preinstalled :smiley:)
Happy Plek-Day :sunglasses:

Thanks for sharing, Shane. Glad it turned out beyond expectations. Being the cheeky so and so I am ā€¦ now I am looking forward to hearing the results :rofl:

Thanks for sharing, itā€™s more affordable than I thought it would be. And PortMac is close enough to be doable for me.

:star_struck: like a new one ā€¦ Happy sort of new gitaar day :sunglasses: :partying_face:
Greetings

@roger_holland I guess you meant to write nieuwe-gitaardag. Or your autocorrect was set to Dutchā€¦ anyway nice to read about new ways to extend the life of our guitars. Sustainable sustain!?

1 Like

:joy: I donā€™t use Google translate when you read things like that from meā€¦ I think 'what could go wrong with such short and simple sentences 'but I mixed I things up :see_no_evil:ā€¦ I think it has certainly happened more than 100 keren :rofl:

Guitar - gitaar is a little like potato patato :grin:

Not to mention aardappel-guitar