#JustinGuitarChallenge2023

Hi All!

About a week ago Justin sent out a Guitar Challenge via instagram and Facebook for submissions of a recording of recent lesson. I decided to take up the challenge and am happy to post the result here after what seems like a very long day. . .between work and family and trying to learn how to use audio/video editing software to make the production value of minimal quality to be posted on social media. . .quite a steep learning curve for me as I am NOT a social media guy nor very technology saavy. Anyway, I am LEARNING A LOAD about this stuff which is great. . .just a bit tired now. . .

Hope you all enjoy the listen!!

Here is the link:

JustinGuitarChallenge2023

The recording shows just how much I need to work on my “solo” skills. I am happy to say that this was the first solo I’ve transcribed by ear (other than Justin exercises) and I think that I came pretty close (if not in the execution, at least on the page) to getting it.

Anyway, hope you all have a great evening/day wherever you may be!!!

Cheers!

Jeremy

8 Likes

@JustinGuitar #JustinGuitarChallenge2023

Listen to John Mayer’s Shouldn’t Matter But It Does.mp3 by Gagan on #SoundCloud

2 Likes

Nicely played Gagan!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@jgottwals Jeremy, I really enjoyed your production. The guitar rhythm was well played, good chord work, and it all sounded good. Well done on the over-dubbing of the solo and adding the video picture-in-picture. Look forward to your OM debut.

1 Like

Sounding good Jeremy. :+1:

Can you share a little more of what the “challenge” was and any lesson(s) it relates to?
I don’t do Justin’s socials (not my thing) and its not one that’s been put to the Community.

And if you are up for Challenges, you may find this section interesting.

CHALLENGES > HERE

:sunglasses:

Thanks Toby

The challenge was to practise a recent lesson of Justin’s and present a recording of it on Social Media.

We had seven days to learn the song and post the recording.

I took that to mean a video. . .now that the deadline has passed I am not so sure why I thought video because the challenge wasn’t explicit on that point. I am sure there were probably lots of audio recordings as well. . .though I don’t know.

Anyway, it WAS a challenge to learn both the music AND the video editing thing in that short period and it ended up being a long day yesterday as I alluded to in my OP.

The great thing is I LEARNED a whole bunch that I didn’t know before and my confidence got a shot in the arm because I was able to transcribe the solo from ear and get it onto the fretboard.

Granted, Justin gives a big hint where to start in the lesson, but hey, I’ll take any progress I can get. . .I’m not fussy. . . :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh! Yeah, I was looking through some of those after I posted last night. . .ther are definitely some I will be taking up . . . as soon as time allows. . .looking forward to them!!

Have a great day!

1 Like

Thanks @DavidP I am hoping to be able to get a aset up that will take care of a little bit of that reverb issue I have,

Anyway, looking forward toworking out what I am going to play. . .

Thanks for all your work here in the community. I really appreciate your guidance around the webpage!!

Cheers!!

J

1 Like

Thanks for that Jeremy and yes the audio editing, mixing and mastering is a whole different skill set but great fun once you get the basics down. Let along the added complications of video ! Enjoy :+1:

Nicely played. Solo sound good to me as well.

1 Like

Cheers Trevor!!

Where are these posted as I didn’t see any!

The challenge was posted to Justin’s Instagram page- at least that’s where I saw it.

JustinGuitar Challenge

I saw the challenge but couldn’t find any entries for it!

1 Like

If you click on the JustinGuitarchallenge hashtag listed in number 4 in the post, it will show you the entires. There are only a handful that I can see at the moment.

1 Like

As @Jenndye429 mentions below there are only a few entries for this. I was quite surprised that there weren’t more. Not sure why that was. EIther way, it’s all done and dusted now.

I had a good time in the process and learned a whole lot about what works and doesn’t work for video recordings at a VERY BASIC level. If the goal of the challenge was to provide an opportunity to learn new things then it succeeded in my case!!

2 Likes

I saw the challenge on FB, but tbh, for me it’s the wrong time of the year. I’m focusing on Xmas songs at the moment. That’s challenging enough for me :sweat_smile:.

No worries about your solo’ing skills, you have a working song going on and the general flow of chord strumming and singing is going quite well aready.

Keep it up, Love your voice for this song!

1 Like

Thanks Lieven. It’s much appreciated. I feel I DO need to start working more on my single note playing and progressing on that side of things; but I am happy with the result, for the limited time I was able to dedicate to it. . .thanks again for taking the time to comment.

1 Like