Justin's Singing Lesson

I just watched Justin’s singing lesson and it’s helpful but I have a question that I can never really seem to get a answer too that I can understand.

I have read that sheet music is written and octave higher for guitar. Is this true? So let’s say I have sheet music to a pop song and a note is written as the open high E string. That is a E note. So am I singing that open E string or am I singing an octave lower which is the D string 2nd fret?
Thanks.

1 Like

"Guitar notation is typically written an octave higher than it sounds at concert pitch compared to the piano (and other standard instruments). This means that the guitar is a transposing instrument, because its notes sound one octave lower than they are actually notated on a score.

The reason for this practice is because if the guitar was written on sheet music as actually pitched, then the pitch of middle C would be written in the bass clef ! (Second space from the bottom to be precise.) And the bottom string E would be one ledger line below the entire bass clef."

shamelessly stolen from:
https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?t=29368#:~:text=Guitar%20notation%20is%20typically%20written,actually%20notated%20on%20a%20score.
Following this logic:
That’s probably why staffs are labelled with the instrument name and indeed, it is actually an octave lower than what you read on the sheet music.

2 Likes

Appreciate the reply. One thiing I’m still not sure of though. Maybe im just dense! If the sheet music is showing a note that is the open high e string on guitar is that the note you sing or an octave lower? I don’t think it can be because some of the songs I see would be so low to sing they would not sound good.

Hi Tom,

Could you please post/link an example?

Cheers :slight_smile: