Key to the Highway by Eric Clapton Lesson

Learn to play Key to the Highway by Eric Clapton on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Key to the Highway by Eric Clapton | JustinGuitar

1 Like

Hi All,
I must be very mistaken if this is not a new lesson for the blim group next month :grin: I’ll start it now just to be sure… a wonderful blues standard in any case :sunglasses:

And a great lesson for me/us who haven’t mastered bending yet and want to learn melody/lead

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Does anyone know what gauge strings Justin is using on his acoustic for the Key to The Highway lesson? I was thinking about what is a good compromise to allow bending.

Don’t know what Justin is using, but I would suggest 10s, more or less the lightest possible. When I was learning the lead intro to Wish You Were Here, which has a tough bend on the G string, I put “Ernie Ball Earthwood Rock and Blues” strings on my guitar. That set has an unwound G string, making it lower gauge than a wound G string and hence much easier to bend.

It sounds a little different, to be honest, but I got used to the change and have used those strings ever since.

Thanks! Dropping down to custom Light 11s from 12s first then will try 10s if needed.

If your technique is correct, a tone bend on 12s is certainly possible. Hard but possible, keep the strings and work on technique, it will pay dividends in the log run and save you some cash buying thinner strings you don’t really need.

All my acoustics (4) wear 12s and all allow a tone bend if you work it. The easiest is my PRS Parlour due to scale length and my go to for the KTTH melody. But doable on Fender, Takamine and ancient Encore.

Work it, don’t change it.

My 2 cents, ymmv for sure.

:sunglasses:

1 Like