Kim Lodro Dawa's Learning Log

Music Theory - Reference Point 2

Drawing out the entire or most of the fret board, was a big help. Should have done much earlier.

Some very interesting patterns there. Fret 0, 5, 10 and 12 only with pure notes.
The L shape is clearly visible. But it already show as putting in the note name on each fret.

So with this, it makes sense to know the 2 lowest strings ( E, A) to find a note on the 3 other strings ( D, G, B).

So the D chord we have on 2nd and 3rd fret plus the open D string, with F#, A, D - can now also be found at 10th and 11th fret, though shape slightly different. Another D chord using 5th and 7th fret. - Still using same notes: F#, A, D. Then another D on fret 7, though only string 2, 3, 4 is in use and rest muted.

After drawing this, seeing some patterns, having the overview, is a huge help getting a better understanding on things.

Also now possible to visually see how a string lowered a semitone or other, will impact.

Ok, Lee Ritenour and the album Color Rit, was actually not that bad during the theory lesson.

Ready to move on to some more tricky parts, which becomes much less tricky after this :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :partying_face:

2 Likes

Actually, I think that’s a pretty good philosophy! I may also try your foot tapping/turning the sound on and off metronome thing, It may help a lot!

1 Like

Ear training and theory - Reference point 1

The tune presented here can also be used as a riff, metronome training etc.

Was just about to start practice and was just fooling around a little.

I accidently just happened to hit the first 4 notes and recognized this tune from my childhood.
From memory I was able to figure out how it goes. Not sure if it is just part of a longer piece or what, but the section presented I am pretty sure on.
I can’t remember the name of the tune, so unable to check if memory and ear got it 100% correct.

Thanks to the theory lessons I can now provide some more information about this piece. My first try doing this kind of stuff. ( Am I nervous??..nah
not the slightest, Justin is my teacher! :wink: )

It goes in 8. A Major scaled is used. 7 notes in each line and I use a “P” for the pause note, or the 8th beat should not be played, 7 notes and 8 beats 7th note carry sound into the 8th beat. ( Need to figure out how to write all this stuff in a pro way, but hopefully the meaning still gets out )

0 = open string
Numbers is the fret number
P is the beat where no note should be played

On 6th String:

0 - 0 - 7 - 7 - 9 - 9 - 7 - P
5 - 5 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0 - P
7 - 7 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 4 - 2 - P
7 - 7 - 5 - 5 - 4 - 4 - 2 - P
0 - 0 - 7 - 7 - 9 - 9 - 7 - P
5 - 5 - 4 - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0 - P

Now I will write it with the letters for each note. () = the pause

E - E - B - B - C# - C# - B - ()
A - A - Ab - Ab - Gb - Gb - E - ()
B - B - A - A - Ab - Ab - Gb - ()
B - B - A - A - Ab - Ab - Gb - ()
E - E - B - B - C# - C# - B - ()
A - A - Ab - Ab - Gb - Gb - E - ()

Very melodic and very easy to learn.

If some one know this one, I gladly get a hint, so I can check if I got it right.

PS. Now knowing the notes on the fret board, I figured out how to make the tune, using 5th and 6th string. That keep the fingers in same place and hand doesn’t go up and down the neck.

The practice session on guitar, which stopped before getting started, now turned into ear training, theory and writing. Took some time. It’s 1 am here, tired, maybe sleeping before trying to make the sheet, that I downloaded, and plot those notes in on 5th and 6th string. Almost like a pro
 or just like the nerd I am 
 :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Hey Kim,

Welcome. An interesting back story, and a good read. Looks like you’re on your way with the guitar journey. And posting a video already - good to see. It will only help you.
Good to see rhythm at the top of your practice list. I reckon 95% of music is rhythm. Critical skill to develop. The notes are just there to provide colour, contrast and variety. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Looking forward to your progress.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thnx a lot Shane. Yes, I try to figure out, what are crucial key points to learn and then practice those extensively, get the foundation worked out and solid enough to be able to carry staircase and more floors.

The guitar journey is very similar to the Buddhist journey I am on. It may sound weird, but is really true.

In 1998 I entered the Buddhist path within a very old tradition. A lot of it is wrapped in culture and tradition, so much so, that it can be hard to know what it’s really all about. So my first 10 years or so, I didn’t know how to practice, what to practice. I had just become a parrot, but my mind was still rigid and obscured, because I lacked training in the crucial points, the key points that is the whole foundation. Without the foundation, all the ceremonies and such just becomes children’s play.

I will not say I wasted 10 years, but I really felt that way once. So from my painful experience in life, I finally figured it out. I am a stubborn thick headed farmer, so took some time to penetrate :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

I don’t want to waste 10 years again on my guitar journey. No way ever again!! :smiling_face:
Right after buying the guitar, I watched a ton of videos. At first it looked like it was hard, complicated, out of my league, so to speak. Then I listened to Justin’s: The 6 Guitar Areas You Should Be Practicing. - That was the breakthrough. I started seeing patterns. I could unwrap culture, tradition etc and saw that it is actually very very simple, logic (theory kind of), easy approach etc. No big deal. If I can extract the key points, I will be golden and my journey will be fun and easy.

I have so many benefit from my past and especially the Buddhist journey, that can be directly transferred to the guitar journey. Also for some years, I was the main drummer during ceremonies and daily practices and also got some training in playing the cymbals.

So far I haven’t come across any issues in the mind, which makes things so much more smooth, I have no problem making a video or do performance in front of an audience. I don’t see myself as better or worse, we are all equal. I am not scared to make a mistake, in fact, I couldn’t care less, because when I notice I will work on getting it corrected and then no need to worry and if I can’t change something, worrying is just pointless.

An idea have been brewing over the last few days. I have roughly figured it out and will soon get it going. I am going to use myself as a guinea pig. I think it’s gonna be interesting and will use the next couple of days getting everything prepared.

I am nerdily :nerd_face: excited about the idea and really looking forward to what kind of result it will give. I will get back to it asap and start lay it out. Partytime for the Nerds :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

Hi Kim,
Maybe it’s also a good idea to take it easy a little, get a little zen :wink:. :grin:
 If the most fun and most important thing is the journey, then why run so fast and look for the final goal? There are no wasted years if you learn and enjoy doing it
right?
I absolutely don’t want to cool your enthaustiasm, but I’m so afraid that because of this huge ‘runs’ it won’t be fun soon for you because there will be a long time of boring exercises with very small progress
 this is definitely a marathon the guitar journey ( and all life mostly :grimacing:) , and you are sprinting very hard from the start
 nothing wrong with that if this makes you happy , just a little ‘beware’ from my side that many techniques on the guitar take a long time and it really need to take it easy/time

I know you’re receiving this in good intentions :sunflower: :sun_with_face:

Greetings

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your kind write and advice. I know what you mean :smiling_face:

I do have some kind of goal, but it’s a little secret thingy, and if happen its cool and if not, its totally ok.
Else I am just enjoying life. That’s all. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy life. Its a wonderful world. Its magic.

I have always had a huge drive. For many years I got up at 4 - 5 in the morning and worked until midnight. I have started up some different projects over the last 30 years or so and some of them are still going today and a couple of them have expanded to being worldwide spread. Atm I am in a situation where I don’t have to take care of family things and such. I have no pets to take care of and not even a flower in window :slight_smile: I am retired, so I can fully enjoy what ever I choose to do. ------ I do have few things coming up in the near future, that I have no choice than to participate in, but other than that, I am free to roam.

It may look like I am rushing, but that’s really not the case. I am relaxing and even postponing things, that I before would have done. I enjoy every second of my life, even when going to toilet taking a dump. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

I take time out to fool around and explore things. Also I luv to get things done. I luv to ride on the highway :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Al Di Meola with Steve Vai-Race with the Devil on Spanish Highway

There are a few secrets I haven’t revealed. No need. Not really important :wink:
Let’s just enjoy the ride. :heart: :pray:

PS. @roger_holland - Try listen this one:
Morcheeba - Enjoy The Ride

Morcheeba Lyrics

“Enjoy The Ride”

They shut the gates at sunset
After that you can’t get out
You can see the bigger picture
Find out what it’s all about
You’re open to the skyline
You won’t want to go back home
In a garden full of angels
You will never be alone

But oh the road is long
The stones that you are walking on
Have gone

With the moonlight to guide you
Feel the joy of being alive
The day that you stop running
Is the day that you arrive

And the night that you got locked in
Was the time to decide
Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

If you close the door to your house
Don’t let anybody in
It’s a room that’s full of nothing
All that underneath your skin
Face against the window
You can watch it fade to grey
But you’ll never catch the fickle wind
If you choose to stay

But oh the road is long
The stones that you are walking on
Have gone

Was the time to decide
Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Was the time to decide
Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Was the time to decide
Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

Stop chasing shadows
Just enjoy the ride

2 Likes

Hi ,
Nice catchy melody en nice animation :sunglasses:
 the text (I have already lived and I live) is also nice and I heard/read it in many way`s and understood it just a little too late, then a lot of damage had already been done
but if it stays like this It was perfect on time I’m very happy 
 :hatching_chick:
Greetings

1 Like

Hey there, nice to see some love for Monsieur Satie :wink: This album was my introduction to his music:

I think I’ve actually saw that very street corner from the painting when I was in Paris a few years ago.

Regarding Danish musicians, back in the 1980s John Tchicai recorded with a then-young group of Hungarian jazz players. Maybe you’ve heard it:

1 Like

He was something, wasn’t he :slight_smile: When reading his story and understand the suffering he went through and that special era. - It was a very special time here in Europe in so many ways.
Not sure if I have come across Körmendi playing it, but will for sure have a listen. - The thing with Erik Satie, is that only those who have experienced mental suffering, will be able to understand and play his music. - No one can understand, unless have been there, in the darkest and deepest areas of the mind. - A lot of the very best music in all genres, comes from people like that. Very interesting. ( Just when thinking about it, then so many names, legends, start appear in the mind)

Cool :sunglasses: Only time I have been in Paris, was a stop in the airport, while coming back to Denmark from Nepal. :slight_smile:

It’s many years ago I explored everything that had to do with Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen. - But something clicked with those names, especially John Tchicai.

That time Denmark was the centre of the world, especially within Jazz for a couple of decades. We had so many of the biggest names coming to Denmark. I lived in a smaller city that time, called Horsens. Around 20.000 people living there at that time. Even there it was a musician heaven with many big names coming. It was in my late teens and was kind of the end of that amazing era.

There were so many names, even with elephant memory I had at that time, it was impossible to keep up. Now I hardly can remember what I had for dinner yesterday :smiling_face:

John Tchicai Trio was one of those many great names. He played with Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and another great Dane called Pierre DÞrge.

Pierre DĂžrge (born 28 February 1946) is a Danish avant-garde jazz guitarist. As leader of the New Jungle Orchestra, he combined traditional and modern jazz with West African Highlife guitar music. Among his collaborators have been his wife, pianist Irene Becker, saxophonist John Tchicai, bassist Johnny Dyani, and percussionist Marilyn Mazur.

A native of Copenhagen, Dorge belonged to a free-jazz big band from 1969 to 1971 that was led by John Tchicai. As leader of Thermaenius in 1978, he borrowed from Balkan folk music. Two years later, he led the New Jungle Orchestra, borrowing from African styles. He has worked with Johnny Dyani, Khan Jamal, David Murray, and Don Cherry.

Nothing Doing in Krakow - by John Tchicai Trio

(I use Brave Browser when looking on youtube, to avoid all the horrible interruptions with adds )

I have talked a lot about some of the great musicians from Denmark.

The greatest of all though, is without a doubt, Kim Larsen. He passed away few years ago. The whole country was in shock for several days after. People from all Scandinavia and North part of Germany were contributing to the mourning.

Kim Larsen have been part of my entire life. It was some of the first I heard. That time the band was called Gasolin. Later he seriously got tired of the music industry and all those wanna-be rulers and went his own way.

Kim Larsen was an excellent guitar player and really never got the credit he deserved. He had the ability, to take the most simple beginner chords and make the whole country swing. Everyone from newborn baby to 120 years was swinging. No one had ever before reached that popularity and I seriously doubt anyone ever will.

He made more than 500 songs. Maybe I can sing along and remember the tune and text on 50 to 100 of them (haven’t tested :wink: ) and I have heard more or less all at least few times.

I am trying to get the sheets for some of them. There are many homemade sheets that have way too many mistakes. I have heard very learned guitar teachers, saying that he did amazing things on guitar they simply can’t reproduce, he was like a magician on guitar and with music. Without a doubt a true Legend!

This is one of the pieces I am slowly working on.

He made this piece as a tribute to another great musician that had passed away.

:heart: :pray:

This was what I wrote in the comments at that time:
Dine sange og din visdom bar mig gennem min barndom. Er fra 66, sĂ„ voksede op med det hele, skrĂ„lede med til enhver lejlighed. BĂžrnehjemsbarn det meste af barndommen. Min far som jeg ikke boede meget ved ligner dig, sĂ„ du var min faderfigur i hele min barndom. Et stort tab at du skal videre nu. SĂ„ meget visdom i dine sange, sĂ„ meget hjerteliv. - Ære VĂŠre Dit Minde. R.I.P. Stille og Roligt
Laterz Bro

Sorry, can’t translate it. As soon as I try, my eyes get filled with water and make me unable to see the screen. :blush: Many many people here in Denmark have the same feeling. Still today few years after
 amazing
 No doubt the greatest Danish musician of all time, no one even get near. :heart: :pray:

2 Likes

Monthly status:
Guitar Journey, Learning Log, 1st April 2023. 1 Month since Guitar purchase.

As the shop keeper was about to tell me the total price of my purchase, he said: 320 USD for a totally new scene, new life/world (hard to translate exactly). He was more than right!

1. Within first month I have learned to change strings and setup the guitar on my own. I have tried different string gauges. I certainty prefer the sound of the 13 - 56 strings. At his very moment I am using D’addario 12 - 53 Phosphor Bronze Coated XSAPB1253. (When using pick the sound is too bright for my taste). There is way more difference than expected between 12 and 13. Both in sound and ability to pull/push the strings. 12 will be the compromise for a little while.

2. I exactly got to know a little about picks, the different materials used, size, shape, bevel etc. A world on its own. More investigating needed, but I am pretty sure it will end up with natural material.

3. This month just went by way too fast. Progress have been way more than I thought possible in both actual practice and also theory.

4. Just got a webcam with build in microphone today. Was about getting a RĂžde Videomic GO II also, but decided to only get the cam for now. OBS Studio is being used as the recording software. Connected to the desktop, so no more fan noise from the laptop. Need to rearrange the living space a bit to get it all going.

5. I got a cheap foot stand/foot stool to raise right leg a bit(Very good investment) and a cheap guitar stand (another very good investment). Not satisfied with the place to sit (not really a chair, but rather a stand to put flowers or some decoration on), but will have to do for now. Best I have.

Picture of the arrangement should be at this place, but have to wait a little. :slight_smile:

The actual Practice, Theory, different issues etc.

1. Fingers on fret hand:
    The callus on the fingers have started to develop. Index finger pretty good and getting better and better by the day. Middle finger little problematic, as some callus have developed, but only a tiny hard spot, so when pressing a string, the string slide of the callus to the soft spot and nearly impossible to get a clean chord. Also as I train, a furrow / trench come fairly fast and due to the not fully developed callus, the string hide in there and make it very difficult to press properly. Ring and pinky have just started to get this bulky feel. As long I can see or feel the fingers are the right place, I can do with a not 100% clean chord for now.

2. Chords:
    Known Chords: Am, A, D, Dm, C, E, Esus, Em, “big G”, C(add9), Dsus/A7sus, F, 4 string F, the last 2 known is G7 and the funny one, but G7 I hardly ever change to, I just happen to know it, G7, and this one I just sometimes do when doing some ear training, while making an Am and move the index finger around and when moved from 2nd string to first it becomes a (Emb6/Cmaj7/Cmaj7E) according to the chord analyser.?! (wrong name here, got it little mixed up, that was the E I played around with and was a 022010 instead. I will get it sorted).

I learned the “Big G” one of the very first days, from a classical teacher which stated, that he found it more beautiful than where the second string is open. I do agree on that. Also he said that the “big G” can be used in most cases, but there are a few times where the second string have to be open.

I struggled quite a bit with both G and D, getting them to ring clean.
The breakthrough so to speak, (not sure who, where ) came some days ago, when some one said, “You need to make a tunnel for the open strings” ( it was actually another chord ), but the line “you need to make a tunnel” was what changed something in the mind.

Constantly I was told and also by myself, careful not to touch that string, and do do this, then the finger will touch this and that string. I struggled so much with those 2 chords. The “tunnel” line trickered something in my mind.

Now I just grab the neck and do a D or G, wihtout much hardship and nearly always clean. Still slow but
 YES!!!

F chord, both full and the 4 string one
 working on it. There must be a way, there is always a way :slight_smile:

I started counting chord shift, but I have had some bad experiences counting mantras, so I had to stop counting chords shift. Now I approach things different. More on that later.

1. Strumming:
    Strumming is going very well. Due to other things I have done in my life, strumming is not a problem. It comes fairly easy. Until now I haven’t been very structured and disciplined on that. But still going very well.

2. Picking styles:
    Maybe we could call it the 4xp, the four P’s or maybe even 5. Picking, Pattern, Precision, Perseverance, Patience. - That’s what it takes. Have come a little around and got a taste of different thing. Travis-picking, 2 o’clock picking (Al di Meola style), 2 strings same time in waltz style 1 long 2 short dum-da-da, and few other styles and methods. Also moving the hand around and trying different positions. Getting to know myself and the guitar.

3. Rhythm and Metronome:
    Not too shabby and slowly improving. Going well.
    5a. Ear training:
    Not too shabby either. Ripple effect from past training that have nothing to do with guitar, comes very much in handy here and with the rhythm, metronome and strumming. All good.

4. Left and Right hand coordination:
    They just started to agree on certain things. I need them to become really good friends, maybe even they need to make a contract ;). However I do see improvement on that also. Will work harder on it if needed, but it’s ok for now.

5. Theory.
    I am hanging in there. :slight_smile: Again also ripple effect from past. Good at math and played chess at decent level for some years. Both helps a lot.

A little video should have been here, but also that have to wait a little. :slight_smile:

Next up, roughly plan for the coming month and the experiment.

1 Like

I prefer not to have a plan, however, after fooling around the first month and getting a taste of many different things, I feel it’s time to getting the practice started, more structured and disciplined, in order to get it moving. That was my holidays and the time I could take off and spend 100% on myself. It have been a most fun and pleasant experience and I luved every second of it. Also a big thanks to this community, Its awesome!!!. :+1: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :heart: :pray: Now back to business. I have tons of stuff coming up over the next months and have to catch up with stuff I got behind with.

Few reference points have been made this early on and will continue like that and use to monitor progress, looking for and correcting mistakes or areas I have to work harder on.

As I become more skilled at the different techniques, some songs will also be part of the training videos / reference points.

For now I feel it’s still about getting the basics trained to a degree, where it become a solid foundation.

The experiment:

“House of the Rising Sun” will be part of the experiment. I will get it arranged to be 2 verses only and with both intro and outro. No need all 6 verses for the experiment.

I will not train “House of the Rising Sun” as such, but use to monitor the ripple effect of the training I do on the basics and other songs. I plan to make it a monthly test.
So as each month is getting to its end, I on any day around there, will listen to the song a few times, maybe watch the video where Justin go through the song and maybe practice a couple of times on that day, before making the video. Other than that, I will leave this song in the drawer, hidden away and only used for this purpose.

It will also serve as a training to be able to look at a song, read the notes, practice few times and hopefully be able to play somewhat ok in order to hear how it sounds like, for those more simple and easy songs. I will add more songs to the list as “House of the Rising Sun” will be trained and stored somewhat in the memory and at a point become useless for the experiment. Slowly slowly.

Beside that, a lot of my time and effort will be put into theory, chord progression, ear training, try out different things on the guitar etc, as a part of learning to compose songs. I have a written a good amount of poems and want to compose my own music for some of them. I had asked around for some time, but no serious response, so am taking up the task myself. That’s my main reason for all of this. Side effect of all this will hopefully be that I can play some lovely tunes for myself, like Blackbird and other melodious tunes. I have no intention giving performance or becoming a pro or play for others around the campfire or to gatherings etc.

With each reference point video I upload as I go along, I assume I will write a short text to it. Will try make it a more structured learning/practice log. I am a little wild and spontaneous, so never know what will happen :nerd_face: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :rofl: :joy:

That’s it for now. Wish you all a most lovely and enjoyable day, moment by moment. :heart: :heart: :heart: :pray: :pray: :pray:

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

A Whittler in da Hood

Something amazing and beautiful can appear
If you courageous and without any fear
Engage in what is really loving and true
As those things doesn’t come out of the blue

The tree used to be such a Hunk
Now nothing but an old dry Trunk
Time is soon coming to its End
For help there is no one to Send

With bleeding heart I search and Search
In forest, mountain, temple and Church
Emaho, there it is with its stiff and chunky Form
In contrast to the adorable and elegant Unicorn

It can not be molded and fiddled with like Clay
And no one wants it if I try to give it Away
If putting extra og anything possible to Add
It will only look ugly and be really Bad

Without proper mindfullness cutting away on the Piece
It will be totally ruined and all I do is Fleece
A moment lack of awareness is a sure way to Fail
Risking cutting fingers and be of no Avail

Cutting too much cutting to Little
Its such a difficult balance to Whittle
There are really not that much room for Mistake
When whittling away to find the original Shape

When mindful and careful whittling away the Wood
It should be clear and well Understood
That it reveals only the inner Beauty
So it becomes a most adorable Cutie

By Kim Lodrö Dawa, 31 - December - 2017

PS. Any poems or if tunes I make should happen, you are free to use as you like. I don’t consider them as mine. I don’t want any credit if you choose to use and if you really want to give credit, please write unknown or anonymous. :heart: :pray:

1 Like

Nice you got introduced to Erik Satie. It is indeed very interesting how he use the notes. Many documentaries and other programs on TV, used Gymnopedie as background track. When I have introduced it to others, many here in Denmark would say: Oh I heard this music before, they used it in such and such Documentary or program. :slight_smile:

It’s very interesting with music and how it is so personally related. Our individual perception. It is amazing how we are totally the same and totally equal and yet, so very individual and different. It’s like a myriad of endless expressions. But that is exactly what I find so magic about the world and its inhabitants :slight_smile: :heart: :pray: ------- Listened a few time to Klara Kormendi, both Gymnopedie and Gnossienne. For me she just doesn’t have it. My perception is, that there are no feel in Gymnopedie and Gnossienne is being played too fast and without substance. — I haven’t compared it to or listened to Anne Queffelec here at the same time, so it’s not like I compare, but my ears tells me that Klara Kormendi is too sterile when playing. I find it very interesting. It’s not that I am right, just my personal perception. :heart: :pray:

1 Like

The Guitar Corner

My collected stuff so far:

I give the bridge and fretboard a little oil (grape seed oil) Grape seed oil is what is used for oak cutting boards for those who know how to cook and butchers etc. Best oil for that. Here in Denmark it can be very dry in winter with frost and very humid also. We have water all around Denmark and I live at a place where there is max 30 km to the beach in 3 directions.

When getting a scratch/wound on the fingers or other places, we have this kind of band aid, and its pretty good on the picks, to hold it better. When I swallow a big mug of tea, my hand start sweating. ( The reason my first video was with sweating hands, not because I was nervous :wink: ).

Just a quick post, now back to theory and guitar practice. :nerd_face: :guitar: :musical_score: :notes: :musical_note: :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :partying_face:

2 Likes

At least 50% of time I choose to have fun on the guitar. It’s all about having fun. Of course there have to be some training and consolidating in the foundation also. But without the fun, it become boring and almost torture as a beginner.

I don’t use the mobile app, since I don’t use mobile phone unless I really have to, so finding alternatives and my own way to practice, in order to keep up with the foundation. Justin made some suggestions in different videos, so have tried to pick up those practices, in order to become better and faster at chord shifts.

I have wanted to do this video for some days now, but I am seriously busy. I live alone, so also have to cook, shopping, cleaning and all the other chores, beside translating texts, writing different stuff, reading and study, prepare for some seminars coming up and many other things.

It can quickly become way too serious with the guitar journey. Personally I will encourage you to also post a video on how you have fun. How do you have time off from the practice, WITH the guitar? How do you have fun, how do you explore if you do so, what is your thought process, how do you relax and have fun, even as a total beginner like me??? Maybe it could help others to let go of the seriousness, like wanting to be good before time so to speak. Because, sometimes our striving to become better in a hurry, actually slows us down. My philosophy is that we learn way faster when we have fun. Children learn much faster when it is fun, and beginners like me are kind of children on the guitar journey.

My plan was actually to make a better video, better content, not rushing this (Seriously way too busy atm), but also feel it is important to get this fun aspect into the mind stream. Still I hope and have the wish, it can inspire some, help to loosen up, not to get into the feeling of not being good enough, showing you, that we can be equal confident as a beginner as one who have played for decades.

The video became a little longer than I thought, but it also show a tiny glimpse on how I combine different kind of trainings. Example is to combine metronome with learning the notes on the 6th string and maybe a riff also. Like that, combine different trainings to make the best of the time used.

My free hour is up. Here is the video:

Now back to the life on the busy highway. :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: Have fun. Enjoy. Much luv :kissing_heart: :cowboy_hat_face: :+1: :sunglasses: :partying_face: :heart: :pray:

2 Likes

Hi Kim. Yes, having fun is the most important thing about playing the guitar. There are some things a person can find through free exploration that could take ages, if ever, to learn it through conventional lessons and practice. I think the best is a combination of both. I also agree that pushing to be ready prematurely may not help. It’s something that just happens the day a person less expect it. A natural product of regular practice.

1 Like

Kim, I have looked and listened to all of your videos. You are making great progress. Your chords sound clear. I think that your right hand is more advanced than left, but your chord changes will get faster with time and more playing. I have been playing Grade 1 chords on the guitar for many years, but I still benefit from Justin’s One Minute Chord change exercise. It is amazing how tired my fingers can get with just a minute of chord changes, so it really is a good exercise to continue using even after you have mastered the chords. You look more relaxed in your videos now and seem to be having more fun. Good luck with all of guitar journey adventures.

1 Like

I had a quick flick through your log, Kim :smiley:
Good to see you jumping right into the deep end, pushing yourself, experimenting with new chords, composing, not to mention exploring theory with the good Richard. Be careful you don’t burn yourself out or spread yourself too thinly
 and don’t forget the boring, really basic repetitive one-minute-chord changes, which will allow you to play complete songs from start to finish without pauses :smiley:
I see you’re a Kim Larsen fan. I remember listening to Rabalderstréde as a teenager and my (Danish) dad coming into the room saying he couldn’t understand a word that was being sung :roll_eyes:
Kvinde min and Langebro still grab my short and curlies and I used Sommerregn in one of my mum’s old 8mm cinefilms as a backing track.
Hilsen etc.

1 Like

Kim 
 given where this started (discussions of Dmaj7) I think you may just fall off your chair when you know that those two chords are Amaj7 and A7 respectively.
Familiar??

1 Like