Kim Lodro Dawa's Learning Log

Born in Denmark 1966, music was big part of my childhood, youth and young adulthood. Radio was on every where. Every one listened to music. Many great musicians in Denmark. Also the radio at that time was broadcasting excellent music. I stopped listening to radio around 30 years ago, something changed and now its just noise and rubbish coming from there.

I never owned a TV, as I found it extremely boring just to sit there passively. I rather sit and look to the wall than watching TV!. Instead of TV, parties, disco and what people preferred, I went out in the world and tried many things.

Also at times I had spend many many hours exploring music.

Due to some excellent musicians here from Denmark during my childhood and youth, the radio was of course playing a lot of their music.

Especially one stand out from the rest:

Niels-Henning Ƙrsted Pedersen was a Danish jazz double bassist.(b1946 - d2005)

By the age of fifteen, he had the ability to accompany leading musicians at nightclubs, working regularly at Copenhagenā€™s Jazzhus Montmartre, after his debut there on New Yearā€™s Eve 1961, when he was only 15.

The Montmartre was a regular stop-off for touring American Jazz stars, and as a member of the house band, the young Ƙrsted Pedersen performed with saxophonists such as Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon, Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Stan Getz, and pianist Bill Evans, with whom he toured in Europe in 1965. During the 1960s, Pedersen played with a series of other important American jazzmen who were touring or resident in Denmark, including Ben Webster, Brew Moore, Bud Powell, Count Basie, Roy Eldridge, Dizzy Gillespie, Jackie McLean, and vocalist Ella Fitzgerald.

He is perhaps best known for his extensive collaboration with Oscar Peterson from 1972 to 1987. His predecessor, Ray Brown, thought highly of the Dane and regarded him as the only upright bassist equal to the task of keeping up with the pianist. He was awarded Best Bass Player of the Year by DownBeat Criticsā€™ Poll in 1981.

(Oscar Peterson, writing in Jazztimes.) Here is what Oscar Peterson wrote about NHOP:

After hearing this phenomenal talent on bass, I realized that somehow, someday we should meet, thereby giving me the opportunity to also play with him. This vision and thought took place in the early 1970s, when I was fortunate enough to be able to invite him to join my then trio.

Allow me to express my reaction to his playing this way: First and foremost, he never got in my wayā€“but he also had such a great musical perception of what I was trying to do that he served to greatly inspire me from a spontaneous aspect. I came off walking on Cloud 3000 that evening because of Nielsā€™ musical contribution. He had the most phenomenal technique, coupled with incredible harmonic perception, along with impeccable time. I shall never forget that evening.

Almost from that evening on, we became very close friends, not just musically but most certainly personally, for I developed a great admiration for the depth of Nielsā€™ political, geographical and personal understandings. He was a man who had an almost unbelievable wealth of historic cognizance pertaining to European history. He also had a very kindred spirit as a human being, always able to easily make good friends, should he care to do so.

###################

When I was 16 or 17, I visited a friend who had just got a new album we all had to hearā€¦again and again and againā€¦ and that album was:
Al di Meola.
1982 Electric Rendezvous

That is actually where my guitar journey started. It just took 40 years to get the guitar, almost to the date.

Via Al di Meola, I came around names like Segovia and Paco de Lucia etc

Then during my exploration in music, names like Lee Ritenour, Al Jarreau and the band Spyro Gyra and similar, became something I listened to a lot.

To my surprise, hardly any one have ever heard of those before.
I also found joy in more popular music, so to speak, or at least most bands were known among many.
It was names and bands like:

10CC, Lou Reed, Sting, Pink Floyd, Queen, Frank Zappa, Jehtro Tull, Grateful Dead (Terrapin Station album), Weather Report, and so many more.

Fusion, funky jazz, funky bluesā€¦hard to label really. I often prefer music without vocals.
ā€œThose who know how to play music, have no use of a vocal, they speak via the instruments.ā€ Of course itā€™s not a true statement and for sure over the top, itā€™s just to emphasize what I mean.

Also I would not be that surprised, if my next instrument happens to be a bass guitar and not a classical/spanish guitar. :wink:

As I became older, mid 30ā€™s and into the 40ā€™s, I started to listen a lot to classical music. There I came across Erik Satie and his Gymnopedies, Gnossienes and Avant-derniĆØres pensĆ©es. I have listened to other pieces from Erik Satie, but my ears and mind see it as confused noise.
So itā€™s not that I like everything an artist does. I cherry pick so to speak.

I think Beethoven sux big time, whereas Ravelā€™s Bolero I find amazing and genius. There is a story about Ravel: According to a possibly apocryphal story from the premiere performance, a woman was heard shouting that Ravel was mad. When told about this, Ravel is said to have remarked that she had understood the piece. ---- and from another source: The premiere was acclaimed by a shouting, stamping, cheering audience in the midst of which a woman was heard screaming: ā€œAu fou, au fou!ā€ (ā€œThe madman! The madman!ā€). When Ravel was told of this, he reportedly replied: ā€œThat ladyā€¦ she understood.ā€

Think these two awesome guys can show it better. Beethoven vs Led Zeppelin:

I luv those 2 dudes. Dang they are good!

That was a little bit about my music background and what was, before I finally decided to buy an acoustic guitar 1st March 2023.
I quickly found Justinā€™s lessons via youtube and it just clicked. Justin is now my main teacher of my guitar journey and so far I have reached Grade 1 lesson 3.

Last days I have used time setting up my guitar as good as possible. Also been looking for some recording software, that I have to try out, so I can start post some videos. I have found one open source, that seem to be the preferred choice, so will look deeper into that over the next couple of days.

Though I am only at grade 1 lesson 3, still, I do look ahead and also explore other things. I have learned few basics now and are actually able to do something on the guitar.

Since these basics are part of the foundation, I donā€™t want to just rush ahead. I feel it is crucial important to get the foundation right. I will need that foundation, for the rest of my journey.

Here is my training schedule/order:
The focus now is on rhythm, the beat, be in time.
Second is my right hand. The picking / strumming hand.
Third is building up the fingertips and same time train chords.
Fourth is placement of left hand fingers, meaning fingertips close to the fret and hand placement to ease chord shift, relaxing in wrist and shoulder etc.
Fifth, more theory and refreshing already learned and also some ear training.

Already within the first week, I was exploring the sound on the guitar and just pressed some strings and picked and strummed. Sometimes there was really nice sound and I tried to figure out if it was a normal known chord. I looked through those many many chords that exist, but was impossible to find something among all those papers.
So I searched the net and came across a chord analyser. Now I can plot in the chord, what strings have to be muted etc and the program will tell me the chord name. The site is: Chord Analyser - ( https://www.oolimo.com/ )
There are other cool stuff there also and I find it an excellent support for the theory lessons with Justin.
IMHO I think that would be an awesome site / feature to have as part of the Justin Guitar!. Maybe it could happen :wink:

Letā€™s just call this the intro to my guitar journey and learning log.

I will fool around with the recording software and hopefully I should soon be able to make and post my first video.

11 Likes

My test recording. Next time I might retake 20 - 50 times before postingā€¦ :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:
First recording with sweaty hands

Unless you are already in a bad mood, then donā€™t watch. I donā€™t want to ruin your dayā€¦ :joy: :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

The first I played is a Danish children song.
You can play it as a riff.
All on the same string and it goes like this:

0 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 0 ---- 0 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 0
0 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 0 ---- 0 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 0
9 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 2 ---- 0 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 7 - 7
9 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 2 - 0 - 2 ---- 0 ā€“ 2 ā€“ 3 ā€“ 2 ā€“ 0 ā€“ 0
last 6 notes are played little slower with feelings

Here it is played a little more advanced. There are tabs also. Really good beginner one. :slight_smile:
Slightly more advanced version with tabs

The danish text is far out and give no meaning.
Itā€™s about catching a mosquito and melting of the fat from itā€¦

Anyway, itā€™s a lovely tune and very easy to learn.

Hi Kim,
Let me take a look at it from a different angle than Iā€™m supposed to :smile:ā€¦
Thereā€™s a lot of improvement to be made with sound and what you play :thinking:ā€¦

But itā€™s already so much better than my first video :roll_eyes: , really a lot :sunglasses:,
And now you post your first so quick :partying_face: :sunglasses:
You just started so I predict you a very nice guitar journey :clap: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

Edit: Thanks :wink:ā€¦but that is definitely not my first video, otherwise I would be doing a very bad false modesty (Iā€™m not ashamed of anything :blush:so feel free to check my LL for the first one, I really didnā€™t want to promote this actually, but I didnā€™t want to give you the wrong impression :smile:)

1 Like

Thnx mate :slight_smile: - Just checked your first video. House of the rising sun. Not sure how long you have trained at that point, but thatā€™s cool :slight_smile:

Yeah, noticed I need to crank the sound up on the video. I already have made some adjustments, so will play around with that, so it will be all set and ready for the next video. Guess that will be in a couple of weeks or a month. Still a lot of work to do.
I donā€™t really play anything there, I just fool around. Doing a chord now and then while some lovely music play in the backgroundā€¦ wellā€¦ I am not sureā€¦ maybe I will just use the metronome for that. :rofl: :joy:

It is going to take another month I think, before I am ready to play a known song. I am very much working on the basics now.
Consistent picking and strumming, not only on the beat but especially getting control on the amount of sound I want to produce with it.
Also I am working on cleaning my chords. It have become far better. I am really surprised. The F chord is still a struggle for me, but the G have become much better.
I struggle some with my left hand / wrist. Itā€™s getting bended too much in some cases. I really have to look more into that, so I donā€™t end up with injuries.
There are some points I really have to get adjusted before I move on.
But from absolutely nothing to what I can do now, is already a huge progress.

oh yeahā€¦ I need to work on my discipline also and put more quality into my practiceā€¦ :rofl: :joy:
But I am really having a lot of funā€¦I luv itā€¦ :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

This story!

Thereā€™s a lot of fun to be had in searching out interesting notes combinations on the guitar neck (even if we donā€™t yet understand the theory behind it.) Chord Analyser is a good find for diving under the hood a bit more - thank you for sharing.

The look of sheer joy on your face in the video says it all though. The journey has truly started - fasten the seat belt!

1 Like

You are spot on thereā€¦ :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

I looked for it, but couldnā€™t find itā€¦ okā€¦ I will check againā€¦ :blush: :blush:

Hi ,
Knowing myself, I must have practiced on that for quite a while :sweat_smile:ā€¦ I hope you saw my Edit: in the previous post and that "my version of The house of the rising sun is definitely not the first thing I posted "ā€¦

And with the right focus (although it shoots in all directions in a day here :roll_eyes: :laughing:) you will get there automatically, only then it will take a little longer before you play a song a bit wellā€¦ but if you think the road is more important than the final destination like me then it all gives nothing that it takes a little longer, the most beautiful and most things you find on the way and when you are not looking for itā€¦ :sunflower:
Greetingsā€¦

A ā€¦i see above you got it :joy:

So true. I can see many things improve while I work on the basics, the foundation. No need to rush and the time I spend here will be well worth it later on :+1: :heart: :pray:

1 Like

Just one round of the chords. Havenā€™t practiced enough to remember the chords, so are having them written on a paper like this: Am - C - D - F etc ---- Hardly practiced it, so no metronome or timing at this point.

The fan from the laptop is adding to the sound. So I will look for a mic and cam, so I can record from the desktop instead. For now doesnā€™t matter that much when playing so bad, but will be good for later. ------ But dang its funā€¦ :cowboy_hat_face: :blush: :partying_face: :sunglasses: :cowboy_hat_face: :joy: :rofl: :nerd_face:

4 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

oh wellā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was trying the full F Chord, before recording and I actually managed to get one clean. After that I tried like 30 - 50 times, without successā€¦woootā€¦ thatā€™s so funnyā€¦ :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Kim @kimlodrodawa
I think Justin suggests in his lesson on H of t R S the mini F rather than barre chord F. I am learning both strumming and finger picking at present, it is my first 6:8 time song.
Keep practicing it is the only way.
Michael :grinning:

1 Like

Wow. Cool :sunglasses: - - Thnx for the encouragement! :cowboy_hat_face: Yes, for that song I use the ā€œcheatyā€ F that Justin show in his F- chord lesson ā€¦ index taking care of string 1 and 2, middle on string 3 and pinky on 4. It works pretty well. ā€“ Normally I donā€™t cheat and would feel very bad if I didā€¦ here I am happy to use ā€œcheatsā€ā€¦ any dayā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Kim @kimlodrodawa
I think the word ā€˜cheatā€™ is unfortunate I would prefer the word ā€˜alternativeā€™
I am sure Justin says somewhere that some well known guitarist use the alternatives on occasion when it suits.
We have just done San Francisco Bay Blues by that little known guitarist Eric Clapton, at the guitar club which has the F chord and if you look at the video of the unplugged album I donā€™t see him using the barre chord but of course he could be doing something fancy
Michael

1 Like

So true!. Itā€™s an alternative, not a ā€œcheatā€ in any way. Whatever works, works. :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

1 Like

During my first week after I had bought the guitar, I watched a ton of videos.

I just happened to come across the video by Justin, that was more valuable for me the first week, than all the other videos I watched combined . Just watched it all again. Itā€™s around 17 minutes.

Justin: The 6 Guitar Areas You Should Be Practicing

Again another Video where Justin also point to the rhythm, beat, timeā€¦ He actually mention it in many videos. Itā€™s such a crucial point.

So for those who havenā€™t watched that one or just want to refresh, there it is. Enjoy :pray: :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Music Theory. Reference point 1.

An experience the other day, confirmed that theory can be pretty important.
While visiting a person who is 14 month into the guitar journey and not studied any theory, I was told that I would not be able to play along, jam together, when he went higher in the scale, because my acoustic couldnā€™t go that high.

My answer was hardly without thinking: ā€œSure I can, I can just use another octave, no problemā€.

When I came home I started to ask myself; How many octaves do I actually have on my guitar?.

When looking at a site where it said, that there are 2 octaves between the low E and the high E, then 12 frets and some extra on the high E string, which give an extra octave plus some extra.

Then comes things up like, move two strings up and two frets to the side, like and L shape.
Itā€™s somewhat confusing that L shape thingy.

Is there a more easy way to calculate?
If I press 5th fret on 6th string, it is the same as the next string open. That we can do all the way down, except the 3rd string where I use 4th fret to get the B, the next string lower.
When I plus those frets used, it will be like this; 5+5+5+4+5 = 24 frets = 2 octaves.
It does fit, but can I really calculate the octaves that way??

I have 20 frets on my guitar. That gives me 3, 4/6 octaves. 3 octaves plus 8 frets.
That mean I have the same note, D, in 3 different octaves. Where as I have F in 4 different octaves, because of the 8 extra frets, from 12th fret on low E to the 20th fret which is my last.
C#, D, D# and E, I have in 3 octaves.
F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B and C, I have in 4 different octaves.

I have written down all the notes on the 5 first frets. Canā€™t remember them by heart. Have to look at the paper to see or calculate from the open string.

That G string mess up the logic of 5 and is instead a 4. Thatā€™s weird. Makes it way more tricky.

Now I have to figure out where those 4 octaves of A is, or the 3 octaves of D?
Also I have to figure out, how to find a specific chord in the different octaves?
Then wonder, does all chords have at least 3 octaves?

My nerdy mind really need to figure this out.
It might actually be the thing, that gives me the needed overview over the fret board?.
Just a tired midnight thought.

One of the great beings from old time India, Shantideva, stated:
ā€œDonā€™t worry. There is no reason to worry. Why?
Because if you can do something about it, then do it and then no need to worry.
If you canā€™t do anything about it, then why worry?ā€

Just because we are from Europe, North America, Asia or Russia, doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t have rhythm. Itā€™s not like that the only people who have rhythm are those people from South America, Latin America and Africa. - It could sound like that when listening to the interview with Al di Meola.

US and the west have just become so materialistic and political correct, which have made our mind so rigid and narrowminded, that it obscure all the excellent qualities we inherently have.

If we happen to sit at a fireplace a lovely summer evening with loads of other people, then someone with drum or other instrument with good rhythm start playing, then even the most rigid and stiff person, start tap with the foot or rock the body :slight_smile:
We all have it and it shine forth as soon as we loosen up. As soon as we start to relax.

Because we have trained our mind to have the habit of being rigid and political correct, we are also able to unlearn it, to train into letting go, loosen up. One exercise could be, that every time we feel anxiety, worries, not feeling we are good enough and so on and so onā€¦sing this song by Beatles : Let it be, whisper words of wisdom, let it be. :slight_smile:

A habit comes from repeating a thing over and over again. So instead of training our mind to become more and more rigid, we change the training into letting go, loosen up, relaxing. Short time many times a day and things start change. If we want to speed up the process and give it more power, we can mix it with an altruistic way of thinking.

Another statement from Shantideva:
All the good things in the world, comes from wishing happiness for others.
All the bad things in the world, comes from only wishing happiness for self.

That kind of mind training will have great positive effect on all we do. Not only learning to play the guitar.

and talking about guitar, I have decided to take out some days and dedicate to myself and my guitar journey, despite very busy with other stuff and way behind schedule already.

I am like Colombus, exploring new waters, while I continue my training. :slight_smile:

When training rhytm I am not only using the metronome. I also listen to certain type of music. Instrumental, not too noisy, I want to be able to hear all the instruments and especially the rhythm. A good example of the music I choose to listen to is this trio with Jaco Pastorius, Bireli Lagrene, Peter LĆ¼bke:
ā€œJaco Reggaeā€ Trio Original!! Music by. Jan Jankeje (Jaco Pastorius, Bireli Lagrene, Peter LĆ¼bke)

During my exploration this morning I came across an interview with Jaco Pastorius.
If listening from 10:25, Jaco talks a little about rhythm. What is interesting, is that first he say it is very important and then its like , without that there is nothing. Very interesting small section. Jaco is just spilling pearls here, so really worth listening to it all from this Legend.

Jaco Pastorius 4 Bassist Clinic Q&A-session at Musicians Institute

Sometimes when training with the metronome, I set it at a certain beat and tap along, then I turn off the sound from the metronome while keep tapping. In the start I just leave the sound of for some seconds and then turn the volume up and notice of I am out of sync. Those moments I turn off the sound I extend until it becomes over my ability. Then back again to few second. Just 2 - 3 minutes like this and preferable several times per day. Training some good habits. Brain washing myself to become better :rofl: :nerd_face: :partying_face:

Now time to look at some theory, while listening to some smooth instrumental music, that will make the foot tap by itself. :cowboy_hat_face: :sunglasses: :nerd_face:

1 Like