La Grange by ZZ Top Lesson

Learn to play La Grange by ZZ Top on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at La Grange by ZZ Top | JustinGuitar

Hi,

Need some help with La Grange. Love this song, and spent some time with it now.

But I have problems already in the second measure. I seem to have a trade off by either pressing down the G string second fret/first finger, but then getting my pinky on the D string 5:th fret to dampen out the G string. Or curling my pinky on the D string/5:th fret to free the G string but then loosing pressure on it with my first finger and dampening the G string that way.

Any hints on how to work around this? Or is it just practice, practice and more practice to increase stretch and strength?

For this song I use my Gibson SG Standard which is SUPER light and easy to play, so no room for improvements there IMO. Nor are my hands particularly small. I got size 10 (EU) in gloves.

Thanks in advance / Peter

Hi Peter,
I would often say make a video that says more than 100 words, but I remember well that this was very difficult for me for a long time, so it does indeed take more and more practice… and feel free to leave it alone for a while, try other techniques practice and play songs and come back to this later, at least that’s what I did…
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Make sure you’re using the outside edge of your index on the 2nd fret. Other than that, it took me a long time to build the flexibility to do this song properly. Try introducing daily finger stretching exercises. Lesson link below.

1 Like

Thanks for your swift response Roger. That’s impressive!!! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your swift response jkahn. And good stretch excercise video. Will def use that! I don’t normally have any big problems with full bar chords (F etc), but this litte sucker really puts my fingers to the test. :frowning:

1 Like

Same problem here Peter. At first, I thought that it was the big stretch from the index & pinky that caused the mute. But, I realize that I mute the bottom string with only the pinky when I pratice my scales. Not an easy problem.