Lack Of Practice Blues Original By dobleA

Lack Of Practice Blues

Don’t let the lack of practice blues take you aback.
It will come a new day and the practice will start again.
Don’t let the lack of practice blues make you abdicate.
It will come a new day and you will be blues’ king again.

Don’t let the lack of practice blues make you sad.
Don’t let the lack of practice blues nose you down.
It will come a new day and you will be scales’ king again.

Don’t stop, just pause, catch a breath, smile, play a song for change, sing a tune for joy (repeat once).

Don’t let, don’t let, don’t let, don’t let,
don’t let the lack of practice blues set the path.
Don’t let the lack of practice blues impede your delight.
It will come a new day and you will be progressing chords again.

Don’t stop, just pause, catch a breath, smile, play a song for change, sing a tune for joy (repeat once).

Don’t let, don’t let, don’t let, don’t let,
don’t let the lack of practice blues set the mood.
(Spoken) It will come a new day and the practice will start again.

This song composition exercise was a COVID-19 hangover. I was at the dining table at home last year, having lunch by myself while recovering from the virus, and suddenly came to my mind the question if the lack of practice blues was a thing; then suddenly the whole song started to flow and rushed to write it down on the tablet before the inspiration faded. This creative sprout may have been fuelled by watching “Get Back”, the documentary about The Beatles, that in between sleeping and resting because of the virus, I finally had time for finishing watching it and having a chance to take a look at their creative processes. For my songwriting exercise, first of all, I applied the song structure explained by Justin in the Introduction To Dice Songwriting lesson: verse, verse, chorus, verse chorus. Second, inspired by the way the lyrics of “Blowin’ In The Wind” go, I kept my lyrics simple and unpretentious, making small variations over the initial idea. Third, as it was supposed to be a blues song, I initially tried to fit the lyrics over a standard blues progression; as It didn’t suit the lyrics I had, I ended mixing a 12 bar blues progression with two 8 bar variations I had read about somewhere in the Internet and some chord arrangements of my own. For the key of the song, my first attempt of playing it in C (C7) sounded good to me, so I left it that way. I’m definitely proud of finally having been able to write a full song and put music to it. Any suggestions on how to make it more bluesy are welcome. I still need to catch the Blues.

P.S. I thought that learning to play and sing a song composed by me was way easier than a song composed by someone else. I was wrong. It can be as hard.

11 Likes

:clap: :clap: :champagne:

Bravo, Andrés, bravo !!

There are many paths to pursue as a guitarist and musician. As one learns and develops skills, I think making original music is one of the ultimate achievements. And of course many of us prove here that one can produce wonderful music without having to be at a super advanced, professional play-grade.

Bravo, loved the song, the lyrics, and the back-story.

By the way, did my eagle eyes detect that you are a reader of fantasy? If so what would be your #1 favourite?

1 Like

Hi David, thank you for watching and commenting. Yes, making original music is a great achievement.

Your eagle eyes correctly detected the Game of Thrones series (in Spanish) of my wife and the Harry Potter series (in Spanish and English) of my daughter. I’ve not watched the Game of Thrones TV series but I’ve watched with them the Harry Potter movies and my wife and daughter have watched with me the Star Wars movies.

I am not too much a fantasy reader myself but I like to read fiction. The two sections above and one in an opposite bookshelf out of camera are my books about architecture. In my nigth table I have the Le Città Invisibili (Invisible Cities [poeticized fiction]) and Lezioni Americane (Six Memos for the Next Millennium [essay about literature creation that also is about many things in life]) of Italo Calvino. I’m reading them in italian and taking small sips of each at a time (both I’m reading them again, first time that I read Lezioni Americane was in Spanish and first time I read Le Città Invisibili I think was in English).

Hi David, about my favorite fantasy book I may answer you about my favourite fiction book and that one may be Don Quijote (Don Quixote) but I like the unabridge version with all seventeenth century Spanish language expresions there. I have to find time for reading it again. My list of books I would like to read is as long as the list of songs I would like to learn to play in the guitar.

This is the way to do it, and keep at it.
Pretty soon, the soul and the groove will take shape.
Keep up the work!!!

1 Like

Very well done Andres. I love checking out the originals section and I really enjoyed your song. Keep it up!

1 Like

Hi Rene, thank you for watching and commenting. Yes, it was a nice exercise and I hope it will be fruitful for me to conquer those 12 bar blues variations and minor pentatonic patterns of the Level 9 of Beginner Course.

1 Like

Hi Eddie, thank you for watching and commenting. I am glad you like it.

Congrats on an original Andres. That was tasty. You have to grab those moments on inspiration and you did it with both hands. Bravo!

I think you need to look at the rhythm to give it a more bluesy feel.

1 Like

Hi Stefan, thank you for watching and commenting. I’ll watch the lesson.

Excellent stuff Andres and bravo for getting your own song out there. I agree a little with Stefan that you could do with a little more of a blues “chunka-chunka” (as Justin puts it!) rhythm but, to the theme of your song that’s only about practice!

Loved it, gracias :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mark, thank you for watching and commenting. Yes, my composition exercise can become my own lab for blues exploration.