LamphunLamyai's Learning Log

Hi Daniel, I’m sorry to hear about Gwaat. He’s very cute! One of our cats is an orange tabby like Gwaat. I understand the priority that cats deserve :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Such a cute little furry fellow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He looks so relaxed and comfortable. Surely he likes his home and feels that somebody cares and looks after him well :grinning:

Maybe he’ll even enjoy some guitar playing. :guitar: :smiley_cat:

Take very good care of him.
Oh, I’m sure you will :hugs:

1 Like

Busy afternoon. Been at it for 4 hours. May spend another 4 hours at it.
I’ve got a choice: Tune into internet and watch the horrors of man’s inhumanity toward man - or - practice guitar.

Yeah. Exactly. Guitar it is. :guitar:

In Grade 2 Mod 8 we were introduced to new chords and new songs.
When I began the Module and started playing the chords, I immediately came up with a tune. “Snappy tune,” I think to myself. I should make it into a song.

Today I found the song was already made. Wonderwall. So it’s been a Wonderwall afternoon. Pleasant.

These are notes for myself as I learn the song and baseline what I learn. i really like this song. :brick:

Strumming Pattern Part 1

Chord Progression Part 1

2 Likes

Practice is sounding good, Daniel.

1 Like

PMT 4.1 - Making Major Chord Grips Into Minors

Chord Manipulation

A Chord Pattern Recognition Exercise - If you can find patterns then you can create chords all over the fretboard!

Well this is really useful. I usually use Guitar Scientist for creating my fretboard diagrams, but just ran across ChordPic free version. Guitar Scientist is a little limited as you can’t flip the diagrams vertically and label the string names and/or intervals.

I like this. I’m probably going to pop for the $30/year paid version. Nice.

Oasis = Everywhere :wink:

Terrific ongoing work Daniel, you’re coming along really well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you checked out Neck Diagrams 2? Justin uses and recommends this software. https://www.neckdiagrams.com/

1 Like

Yep. Thanks! :+1:

Two useful tools for chord identification:

PMT 4.1 - Major Chord Grip on Strings 1, 2, 3

A visual representation of G chord grips. Note the pattern of the root notes.

Wonderwall Strumming Patterns

Fretboard Pattern Recognition

Assuming sharps. I haven’t worked out flats yet.

Repeating patterns base on F C G D A E B and F# C# G# D# A#

Can you see the pattern now? What good it this? With only knowing the 1st and 6th strings, if I know this pattern I can draw any single fret on the fretboard accurately without having it memorized. Memorization is next. I’m going to play with that over the next few days as part of my fretboard memorization as it gives a different perspective.

Cool huh? I guess ya gotta be a nerd. Guilty. :guitar: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Hey Daniel,

I like checking out your journeys in the theory world. I did alot of this stuff when I started learning theory, as it fascinated me, and still does. Of course, ultimately, it’s becomes " how does this help me ?".

This pattern you’ve come across is, among many other things, the basis for learning the order of #/b’s and the number of #/b’s in keys, with each note separated by a 4th, ascending, and a 5th descending. Pretty important stuff.

Where it crosses that pesky B string of course, makes it a major 3rd, and a minor 6, respectively, going up and down. Can you see the circle of 5ths/4ths here? Pretty important too. Its all related. When you ‘do the flats’ you’ll get the same intervals of course, but the alphabetic pattern will be mirrored. Fascinating stuff.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Death in the family. Fourth this year. Emotionally I’m bled out.
Gotta be awhile before I care about much of anything. Guitar included.

Sorry to hear that, Daniel, wish you strength and resilience.

:mending_heart:
And I wish you strength,
Greetings Rogier

Sorry to read about your loss, wish you strenght, all the best,
Andrea

Haven’t done any real training for close to a month now. Now trying to return back to the land of the living.
“Give to Cesear what is Cesear’s”; Give to the Death what is dead.
So we move on…

I’m working on PMT Grade 4.1, Module “Major Triad Grips (Strings 1/2/3)”.
Granted Justin has provided tabs for the “Major Triad Grips Memory Exercises,” but I need to put this into a form that - I - can memorize. At 71+ I suck at rote (fretboard) memorization, but I still have a pretty good grip on “pattern recognition.” And I milk that for everything that it is worth. TABS are too busy to memorize although they are a form of “pattern.”

So - we come to this attachment.
Three forms of playing a Major Chord on Strings 1-2-3, in this case the “E-Chord.”

For any particular triad we’ll need the chord form (grip, fingering, or whatever ya want to call it).
So the E-Major triad as the base chord form of E G# B.
From here - IF I had the fretboard memorize, I could figure out the E-Major triad chord shape. But? I don’t.

So instead I memorize the patterns based on the root note of the pattern and which string it falls on.
Then? I need to memorize the three patterns as they pertain to the entire fretboard. The patterns repeat within a 10 fret increment. So I’ll be able to create two sets of these patterns within a 22 to 24 fret range.

So the trick is to see the 10 fret range where these patterns repeat. Here’s the key: Look for the base chord form that runs up the first string (from frets 0 to 22/24), and in this case the base chord form from the E Major triad is “E G# B.”

Then memorize the visual form for the root note in each form. Then where the 3rd and 5ths notes are in the pattern.

Now - shift the pattern to the F-Chord which has a base chord form of “F A C.” Then understand that for each chord (triad) form, the three patterns are now comprised of the “F A C” notes.

So you don’t need the fretboard memorized. You need the patterns memorized as well as the Root, 3rd, and 5th for each pattern. Then you’ll know the note, which in turn will - with practice - allow you to memorize the fretboard in a way that used pattern recognition as opposed to rote memorization.

In order to leverage this pattern recognition, you’ll need to have the Major triads memorized. Later you’ll need to apply the Minor, Augmented, and Diminished rules to manipulate those patterns ‘on the fly.’

Major_Triads