Latin songs by dobleA

Very interesting Andres, thank you for providing context as well as lyrics in English. I know this song since I was a kid but never really knew what it was about. You look very comfortable, nice playing and singing!

1 Like

Hi Boris. Thank you for watching and commenting. The first challenge was getting the cadence right, the next one was being able to stop and restart at the no chord bars, the last one was changing from strumming to picking back and forth.

1 Like

Hola Andres,

Thank you for the rendition of Pueblito viejo. I hadn’t heard it before but my wife says rhat song is about the town of Soccoro (Santander) and my wife who is from there used to have to sing it at school.

Are you from Santander?

I have been travelling to Colombia for work twice a year since 2008 and just spent a 6 month sabbatical there travelling around by motorcycle. Such a fantastic experience.

Had to borrow guitars from people I met so that I could keep practicing during my sabbatical.

There’s so much fantastic music in Colombia.

1 Like

Hi Ian, thank you for watching and commenting. Nice you have a Colombian connection to add some images and feelings to the song.

The advent of the record industry in Colombia allowed the flourishing of then new composers and performers of music based on traditional rhythms that may be otherwise faded away. Now at 70+ years old Pueblito Viejo is kind of an anthem for Colombians. It’s not surprising for me that your wife sang it at school. For santandereanos Pueblito Viejo should be like El Bunde for tolimenses like my wife. I’m valluno meaning I’m from the Valle del Cauca. The picture at the beginning of the video is supposed to be Barichara in Santander. I haven’t been to Santander yet.

There’s a lot of Colombian music to explore. I regret having thrown away a book with about twenty scores of Colombian music I had bought when I was younger, just because at that time I was not fully capable of reading staves. It would have been a good companion for my guitar learning now.

Making great progress, Andrės.

I was recently given these as a gift from Colombia.

1 Like

Hi James, thank you for watching and commenting. Yes, it’s satisfying to see the time spent practicing yields fruits (in addition to the enjoyment of the practice itself).

Nice you got some scores of Colombian contemporary classical music for guitar.

I found this performance of the quartet:

Cuarteto para Guitarras no 2

Two very contrasting Colombian music styles the composer draws from. I would need tons of practice to do one of the parts and three buddies for the rest but it’s very inspiring to see the techniques used to produce the sounds.

I may get the other one in Kindle format.

I’m currently practicing this Colombian piece but it’s more like a dreamer one for now:

Esperanza (Hope) - Ibarra and Medina Duet

1 Like

I have a friend who is a producer of Colombian music in Bogota and has won many prestigious awards. Next time I’m there I can ask him about scores for some not too difficult Colombian music. Do you live in Colombia or abroad?

1 Like

Hi Ian, I live in Ontario, Canada. If you can check with him it would be good. Thanks.

I will ask him. I love Colombian music ( my favourite is vallenato) but I think it’s very difficult to learn the rhythms, especially as someone living in Europe and not having been brought up listening to that music. There’s so much great music in Colombia.

1 Like