Learning from mistakes (of others - based on seeing a live covers performer)

In this case, trying to learn from other peopleā€™s mistakes!

We were in a pub at the weekend and there was a guitarist/singer on the mike. Naturally I took an interest in what he was doing. He seemed a pretty competent guitarist - plenty of nice fills and embellishments - but his repertoire was almost identical to mine, i.e. grade 1 & 2 level songs.

He was LOUD. I like loud music so I have to ask myself why I didnā€™t like this, and I think itā€™s because loud music is appropriate if you want people to dance, or you want them to sing along. Neither of those was happening because:

• all the songs were played at the exact same tempo. It took a while to notice, but once you noticed it it was painfully obvious.
  • he was singing all the right words, but mostly to a different melody than the original.
    I get that singing a ā€œcover versionā€ gives you some leeway with the melody, and when youā€™re playing a cover song in amongst a set of your own originals, it blends better when you do that. In a set of nothing-but-covers, the occasional diversion from the melody can be fun, but this guy did it in every song. Nobody could sing along to any of these well-known songs (and I wanted to because I know how to play most of them!) because they didnā€™t recognise the melody heā€™d sing - in a few cases we only knew which song it was meant to be because we recognised the words!

I may never perform in front of anyone else, but it was definitely giving me food for thought in how to devise a set list when I do. Anyone else had experiences like this?

10 Likes

Hello Ross,

It seems to me you have witness 2 topics in a summary (sort of) :grin: , I will even look for them for you :sunglasses:

Have fun reading

Greetings

4 Likes

Thanks. Delete thread button doesnā€™t work for me, maybe some friendly admin will come and put me out of my misery.

No No at all,I enjoyed your contributionā€¦ Itā€™s amazing how you just experienced those two things together in a live bar:sunglasses: ( oke maybe you would have preferred a good performanceā€¦ :grin:)

I wonder if he was just there as some background for the people in the pub?

If that is the case, then maybe the pub owners find it okay for him to play like that but if he is there to entertain, then Iā€™d have been very disappointed if I was unable to have a good sing along.

For me, I want people to recognise what Iā€™m singing and to be able to join in as well.

He is going to stick in your mind for all the wrong reasons.

Iā€™m thinking, you should should have said, excuse me and taken over. :smiley:

1 Like

No need to delete at all. Rogier is simply noticing overlapping themes.

2 Likes

This is the risk you run when making a song your own. People donā€™t want to hear your version unless it is better than the original and the original was popular for a reason.
There is a fine line between making a song your own and butchering a classic.

9 Likes

If heā€™s singing a ā€˜different melodyā€™ to the same chord progression, itā€™s very likely that heā€™s singing harmonies. You could probably belt out the lyrics to the original tune and itā€™d sound great with it :wink: :laughing:

need to book this guy instead:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s something to be said for knowing your audience. Youā€™ve got to be really good (or deluded) to take songs that people know and potentially love and play them differently - especially if itā€™s all of them! If itā€™s your audience and theyā€™ve specifically come to see you then maybe thatā€™s fine, but if youā€™re dropping into somewhere then it doesnā€™t seem such a good idea.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a definite challenge and one I have to continually work on. I notice that I often play everything at what I call ā€œTony Tempoā€. Itā€™s very easy to fit into a trap of doing whatā€™s easy.

Iā€™ve long used a variety of strum and fingerstyle patterns so thereā€™s a lot of variety in what I play. I have a friend who is a delight to watch because heā€™s enthusiastic and it really bubbles through in his live persona. Problem is every song has the exact same strum pattern and sound.

Which means when he plays and sings Leaving on a Jet Plane or Sweet Caroline, they are sort of like the same sounding songs only the words are different. Iā€™m sure the melody is also different but because he has no variety itā€™s hard to tell.

Justin has several lessons where he talks about the dynamics. So I now have a number of songs where I change the way I play being different in the chorus to the verse. And several where I change the tempo having one verse thatā€™s a lot slower, that sort of thing.

Another area to mix it up when doing a live set is donā€™t do too many songs in a row in the same key.

He was really good but what was more impressive was the guy dancing with his pint in hand and not looking like he spilt a drop.

1 Like

Ouch! :confounded::rofl:

1 Like

Great stuff. Although he added his own spin to the song and upped the tempo a bit, he stuck to the melody of the original which is vital when performing a well known song. Gerry is a terrific singer so that makes a huge difference too.
The pint balancing dancer was certainly impressive and Gerry knew his audience and played to them which is the other important factor.

1 Like

Maybe the guy just wasnā€™t a great singer? Struggled with vocal melody.

From the description it doesnā€™t sound like it would have been intentional.