Learning note sounds for the tone challenged

Perfect pitch - being able to hear and name a single note - is a gift that very few people have.

Relative pitch - hearing 2 notes and naming the interval between them is something that can be learned and developed with ear training.

I wouldn’t worry about perfect pitch.
We can all improve relative pitch. Re-active listening is a part of ear training.

Grade 2, Module 11…Joshua this is the lesson for you! Thanks David for suggesting it, I think that while arranging my little Chord Melodies I’m kind of applying these concepts without knowing and always look for notes within the chord and the Major Scale, but also how they sound with or against the chord. This idea of the root, 3rd, 5th…my next exercise will be to play some chord melodies and see what I find…great discoveries to come :star_struck:

2 Likes

At first it was difficult for me too, but over time it got easier. Nowadays I can find the general region of a note (within 2-3 frets) relatively quickly. Intervals ear training certainly can help with that.

Spot on Silvia!
I learned about targeting chord tones from an improvisation perspective and then realised that song melody targeted chord tones in the same way. You’ve found it by comparing chords and chord melody.
Although these great discoveries have been made millions of times before us, they are still big discoveries for us and move us forward in our playing and understanding of music.

Have you seen Richard’s @Richard_close2u topic in the “Tips” category about targeting chord tones using a Chet Atkins lesson? Chet Atkins lesson
It’s very good! Richard, as ever, gives a very thorough explanation of how it works and some exercises for you to play around with.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’m any good at that yet, but I have definitely improved. I came from a place where rhythm was easy but I didn’t even really listen to the melody in a song. Those ear training exercises on finding the tune to happy birthday… er, what was the tune again? I had no sense of melody or melody memory.

What has worked for me so far is a bit of transcribing. I can’t say I’ve done a lot yet. It was super frustrating in the beginning. The other thing that has helped is practicing bends hooked up to a DAW with a tuner, so I can see as well as hear if I’m in tune.

Along the way something starts to click.

1 Like

Thanks David @BurnsRhythm for suggesting another lesson in this topic, I will check it soon! :blush:

Joshua @Jamolay it was pretty much the same for me as Jk and from feeling it a heavy struggle, now far from being easy it feels challenging still, but not “mission impossible” as it used to.

Jk it was exactly the other way round for me! My ear was totally caught by the melody only! Weird…I kind of feel that finding the melodies notes on the fretboard started improving together with my progress with Rhythm :thinking:

1 Like

Shows how unique everyone’s path is, we all have different challenges!

1 Like