Leather strap on nitrocellulose

Could do with some advice from those more experienced please…
I’ve bought myself a beautiful Gibson ES335 figured in Sixties Cherry and I’m feeling a bit precious about it! Someone has suggested I shouldn’t leave a leather strap on the guitar as the oils will leach through on to the nitrocellulose lacquer leaving a permanent mark. I’m loathe to fit my strap complete with strap locks every day for my practice session 'cos it’s a bit of a faff. could anyone advise please? If I leave the strap on permanently will I damage my shiny new toy? TIA!

I know vinyl straps will permanently stain nitro finished guitars not sure about learher. If it has a heavy dye it could possibly stain it.

1 Like

I have leather straps on both my Gibson LPs and I leave them on at all times.
A dropped guitar and broken neck tends to make that happen.

Straps have been on for well over a year now and can’t see any issues but I would add they are both close in colour to the NC finish. :sunglasses:

I’ve had a look on the Gibson site and they sell these straps several of which are leather. Surely they wouldn’t sell straps that could damage your guitar finish.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/straps

I’m interested in this as I recently bought a leather strap for my Martin acoustic.

1 Like

OK, thanks for that Toby.

1 Like

Well, that’s a good point Sairfingers but I wouldn’t like to rely on it. The strap I have is a Gibson Nubuck. I’ll shoot the question over to Gibson support though (assuming they have a support email) and post any response back on here.

3 Likes

OK that’s done. We’ll see what we get from Gibson.

2 Likes

Some information on sealing the dyes and colours in leather here:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks Andy. I’m not sure I’d trust myself to have a go at it though!

OK guys…here’s what came back from Gibson…

Hello Paul,

Thanks for reaching out. The leather can damage the nitrocellulose finish if it is in contact with the finish for extended periods of time. If you choose to use a leather strap, we recommend removing the strap when the guitar is not in use.

Thanks for writing us at Gibson!

5 Likes

Hi paul,
Thanks for posting,…And I’m very surprised :flushed:

Greetings,Rogier

Who knew? But what is an extended period of time? How long would that be?
Anyway, i think it’s safer to remove the strap, after playing.

I would get something like Dunlop or Schaller strap locks. Not only more secure, but allow you to remove the strap easily.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

OK thanks Keith. I have the little d’addario locks at the moment. I’ll take a look at the Dunlop and Schiller.

Bummer bummer on the broken neck. :sob:

Dean fortunately I found a great luthier a couple of minutes from me in rural Normandy and he did a incredible job in saving it - story in my Learning Log. :sunglasses:

Wow. Great log. Interesting read. The LP looks pretty amazing post accident. Had a bandmate break the neck on his 335 when it fell off the wall. His repair didnt turn out so great. Play On! Nice to meet you snd read your journey.

1 Like