Leaving On A Jet Plane by John Denver Lesson

Learn to play Leaving On A Jet Plane by John Denver on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Leaving On A Jet Plane by John Denver | JustinGuitar

I noticed that in the lesson on how to play Leaving on a Jet Plane, Justin uses C, D and G chords, including how to play finger style, However, the Song App uses A, D and E chords. I was hoping to pop over and use the app to practice the song. Why are the two not consistent?

@Flying_V This situation has occurred in several song lesson vs app songs.
Justin will have taught a song lesson accessible to beginners at a certain point in the courses, using chords learned by that point. Sometimes that is not in the original key.

Chords G, C and D are the I, IV and V chords in the key of G.
Chords A, D and E are the I, IV and V chords in the key of A - two semitones higher.

You can put a capo on fret 2 and play the G, C and D shapes to match exactly chords A, D and E.
Or, you can place a capo at fret 10 and play the A, D and E shapes to match the chords G, C and D. Note - a capo at fret 10 makes this all a tight squeeze on the fingers.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense - so much for this newbie to learn!

1 Like

@MusopiaApps
Isn’t there a way to transpose to the key of G in the App.
If there isn’t there should be

@stitch Thank you for the feedback and request. Adding transpose in the app is on our roadmap.

I think the tab notes may be incorrect. It indicates that the thumb plucks the open D string when playing the C chord. However, the D string in the C chord is pressed at the second fret. Did I miss something here?

@woodteacher you are correct, the 3rd plucked note in the C chord is an E (2nd fret of 4th string), but it is shown as a D (4th string open). I listened through, and played the tab, to make sure it’s not simply a chord variation, but it’s not.

@Richard_close2u @LievenDV @DavidP Could one of the mods let Justin know, so that the tab can be updated? Thanks.

Thanks @Mari63 and @woodteacher. I will ensure this is picked up.

Hello @woodteacher and welcome to the Community.
Many thanks for alerting us to this, it has now been reported.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide

Thank you, everyone! :slight_smile: