Left Handed theory - reversing the notes?

I was just looking at the music theory course. It says if you are a left handed player to reverse the notes. This might be a mistake. When I look down at my strings its still EADGBE Am i missing something. I have seen this in a couple other lessons and Im a little confused.

The course text says this:

The order of the notes remains the same for left-handed players, but diagrams like the one below will have to be reversed or mirrored to make sense:

For left-handed players it will have to be (with unmirrored numbers, of course):

1 Like

When I lay my guitar on my lap the thickest string is toward my body. Same thing for someone who is right handed

@Harry825 If you understand the right handed chord charts and scale charts don’t worry about it. My wife plays left handed and has never had any problem understanding right handed charts.

1 Like

That left handed diagram would only work if you take a right handed guitar and flip it over to left without changing the strings (thickest string on the bottom)

The left handed diagram matches a left-handed guitar if it was facing you (neck upwards, strings facing you) - the thickest string would be on your right. If a right handed guitar was facing you (again, neck upwards, strings facing you), the thickest string would be on your left.

I’m also left handed, and for that reason, find left-handed diagrams more intuitive because they match my guitar and the way I would draw the diagrams from remembering what my fingers do. The right-handed diagrams make sense, but require me to mirror it in my head as an extra step.

Edit: Now that I’ve re-read your post, I’m wondering if you mean “reversing” the diagram as in flipping it upside down - that would not make sense. The direction you need to flip it is on the other axis (i.e. left-right).

1 Like

No you’re not missing anything.
Some left handed people have no problem working with the standard right handed diagrams.
If you have any issues you can always use a mirror. :wink:

1 Like

thank you now it makes sense. I was looking at my guitar on my lap. and then looked at the diagram. It does make a difference when you hold the guitar strait up and down. the whole thing confuses me sometimes. Seems as it would be easier to put the base string on top so so when you count down 2 strings your finger actually goes down 2 strings and not up

I prefer to learn right handed charts. I am sure I will see a lot more of those then left-handed