Lefty from Western Colorado - Finally really learning guitar @ 45

My name is Mike, and I am very happy to be here. I figured as part of my journey to finally learning guitar (for real:) , that taking time to be a part of this community will help solidify my commitment.

I am 45 and a teacher out in Colorado. I’ve been ‘messing around’ with music and guitar since I was a teenager. I’ve dabbled in everything from playing guitar to djing to production. As for guitar, I am an ‘ok player’. But I have been stuck in my progress for years and never spent too much time consistently working on it.
I know what the biggest problem to my progress is: I don’t know any theory and I don’t know my fretboard.

So I am starting with the music theory course here, as well as learning my fretboard. I have made attempts in the past, but not in a structured way and always gave up. Being a lefty doesn’t help but that’s another story (and no excuse). So I am committing myself to learning, and I have started with the theory course and my fretboard.

I am also committing myself to at least 5 minutes a day of either fretboard or theory practice, or both. 5 minutes may not seem like a lot, but with a busy life, the consistency is everything for me. Of course I will always try to do more in a day, but I want to start with a goal that is definitely achievable - and then move on from there.

There is a lot more I could say about myself, but this is just an introduction. I thank you for reading. I look forward to participating, and especially reading, more in this community. Again, very glad to be here.

Rock on.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community, Mike.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Given what you’ve shared, many similar people joining have reported benefits in the following suggestion.

Start with the first lesson of grade 1 module 1. Power through them at as fast a pace as possible that serves to calibrate your playing technique, knowledge and skills. Most report filling in the odd gap here and there and adding some useful extras. And at some point one reaches unchartered territory and can then continue the journey from that point in an appropriate way.

Hope to hear you sharing progress in our #community-hub:learning-logs area as you progress and perhaps playing over in #record-yourself-progress-performance:audio-video-of-you-playing

Rock on indeed!

2 Likes

Good to meet you @DavidP, and thanks you for all the suggestions!

1 Like

Welcome to the community. Consistency certainly works for me. Look forward to more contributions from you. The guitar journey is certainly worth it, you won’t regret it.

1 Like

Hello Michael and welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

This is what I’ve been using to learn the fretboard, maybe give it a whirl and see what you think.

1 Like

Welcome Mike, good to have you with us and wishing you all the luck and fun achieving your goals :+1:

1 Like

Amazing, That is the method I have been using! What a coincidence, I just happen to choose it after watching a bunch of other videos on YouTube. Glad to get confirmation on it!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Mike!!
Wish you all the best.

1 Like

Welcome along Mike. Nice to have you with us. We lefties can do it - it just gives an added challenge but nothing more than we encounter in everyday life. :grin:

1 Like

Hello Mike, a warm welcome to the community. :slight_smile:

1 Like