Lesson about a specific up strum

Helloo,

I am not sure if this is the right subcategory, itā€™s quite a specific question.

I am looking for a lesson I once watched from Justin (Iā€™m pretty sure it was him). It was about a strum. I think it was a well-timed up strum. You have to count and stuff to do it. I canā€™t explain it very well. It can really stand out of a song when done well, but I have no exampes.
Edit: it is like a slower rolling strum upwards. I think it is mainly used for acoustic folk kinda music.

Edit 2: I am not sure if I can post links here, but I found an example. This was once recorded on a tv show in Holland but it was removed. I found this obscure audio version of that recording: https://youtu.be/7TocVH0qWCo?feature=shared
You can hear the strum I mean on 40 seconds and on 55 seconds. I think you can hear the ā€˜rolling stringsā€™ I mean.

Can someone help me find the video of Justinā€™s lesson? I took some time to look for it, but no luck yet.

Thanks in advance,

Greetings from The Netherlands

Hi Sjors @Sjorske, welcome to the community! Are you thinking about ā€œpushedā€ chords? Thatā€™s where you change the chord on the ā€œandā€" of beat 4 (often an upstrum) rather than on beat 1. The lesson is called ā€œThe ā€˜Pushā€™ Strumming Techniqueā€. If thatā€™s not it, hopefully someone has another idea!

Judi

1 Like

Hey Judi,

Thanks for your reaction! A good sugesstion after my description. It isnā€™t the strum I am looking for though.

When I think about it now: it is more like rolling strum over the chords upwards.

Iā€™ll keep waiting and looking :slight_smile:

Have a nice eve.

1 Like

Can you remember what grade the lesson was in? Justin has strumming lesson in almost every grade.

1 Like

Actually no. I wasnā€™t structured at all at some points through the years, so I clicked the videoā€™s I thought I would like or need.

I have gone through all the grades again a moment ago. Also through the strumming course, but I canā€™t find anything that seems to be the one I mean. It could be that the technique is in a video with other specific guitar techniques and it isnā€™t mentioned in the title.

The other option is that I made a mistake and that it wasnā€™t Justin who taught it.

Justin touches briefly on a slow upstrum on his acoustic lesson for Pink Floydā€™s Breathe. Is this maybe what youā€™re thinking about?

2 Likes

Hey Rider,

Yes, this looks totally it! He doesnā€™t refer to a lesson or does any explaination of the techniqueā€¦ Looks like Iā€™m totally wrong then? I donā€™t know.

Iā€™m going to try it this evening. Maybe itā€™s as easy as can be.

Thanks for your reply!

This one?

The was also one in the Technique sectionā€¦search for ā€œrolling chordsā€

This is as close as it gets for me. I came across this video yesterday also, but I think it is not the lesson I meant (although it is years ago I saw it).

Justin himself uses the technique in the following vid. It is the first strum and the one at like 8 seconds:

Thanks to @Rider2040