Looking for longer Pick

I’m getting more comfortable in holding a pick now and find myself starting to feel like I want a slightly longer pick. How I hold the pick is I puch it to the finger crease but this leaves very little pick showing.
I’ve looked on amazon but honestly I dont think i’ll find it.

Does anyone know if longer picks are made. I’m using the dunlop .46 white which is 1.25" long to the pointy end lol.

R.

1 Like

I’ve seen many different shapes, but nothing I can recall that was significantly longer than a regular pick. If you can’t find suitable picks anywhere then you could always try making one yourself. That way you can shape it however you please. I used to make them out of old credit/store cards, though they don’t last long. I’ve also used part of a plastic cooking spatula… that one never seems to wear at all… as well as various sized coins filed into a pick shape.

Also perhaps look at the way you hold your pick. For example, I also rest the back of the pick in my finger crease, yet have plenty of pick showing at the tip. Do you have your finger pointing directly towards the pick tip? If so, perhaps try bending the finger slightly so that the pick comes from the top of the finger instead of the point… if that makes sense. (Hard to explain without pictures.)

1 Like

I do indeed, not much though. I had a feeling someone would say make one.

R.

Rachel, I just had a look at my big variety of picks but they seem all to be at the same lenght approx. 3 cm. The only one I have is a DonlopTortex Triangle which is slightly longer. Please see pictures below

Recently an ad from Alvaplek popped up on my fb account, they produce different shapes and it seems as some of them could be longer, they call it drop shape. Unfortunately it’s a German website.

There is a variety of shapes available.

1 Like

Do you have a 3D printer, or know of someone who has one? It is incredibly easy to print out a pick. The website www.thingiverse.com has several guitar pick programs already written.

You could potentially find one that you like the shape of, then scale it up to a size of your liking.

Here is an example of the pick that my friend prints out. This was found on Thingiverse.

1 Like

Hi Rachel,
we had a Dutch musician here who always played with his bank card, which is longer than you want possible, but can be trimmed if desired :grin:

Maybe not the best tip, but my nephew sometimes does it now when he saw it on you-tube :see_no_evil:
Greetings

1 Like

Thank you for the photos Andra and the link, I’ll get a couple of the tortex to try, every little helps as they say. As for the getman site I’ll have to wait for my other half to desipher it lol :slight_smile:

Rachel.

Mine expires in 2 month , ooh . :slight_smile:

R.

2 Likes

Sadly no I dont have one nor do I know who has one, good idea though.

R.

Check out the Lead series of picks from bogstreet.com I’ve been using the lead as my main pick for several years now.

1 Like

If you look on google for 3D printing service, you may find there is one close to you. Or one that can mail to you, not sure of prices.

1 Like

Interesting, I see they do international shipping. :slight_smile:
Could be worth a try, so I ordered a couple of packs.

Thank you @tony

R.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve bought from them 3 times now, always dealt with Paul Holcomb.

1 Like

I’m drawing a blank on playing guitar with a longer pick. I can’t for the life of me see any advantage. I’m willing to learn. Please share a video of you playing with one.

I want a longer pick because there is no distance left between the end of my index finger nail and the strings. A pick that’s just a few MM longer will help me until I’ve developed more accuracy, its a personal choice that I want to explore.

R.

It might be how you’re holding it, fingernails shouldn’t be in the way at all if you’re gripping it correctly. Look at this lesson (timestamped to 3:51).

1 Like

Yep yep, sorry for delay in replying, I’ve been waiting for something

I dont hold my pick like that, my index finger tends to be over to one side of the part you hold and rotated. Just easier for me and a good feel so my finger nail is to the right of the point as you look down at the pick.

Anyway, had a nice little delivery today thanks to @tony

The one on the left is a Rythem pick and right is a lead pick.

They only arrived today , so I’ve had little time with them, but already I’m liking the Rythem pick.
The black circle I think is the .46 same as a USA Nylon but not a flexible, it has just a touch more rigidity to it.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

R

1 Like

Hi Rachel, I’ve been in my guitar store the day before yesterday and I’ve seen this pick by accident in a glass full of loose picks => they exist. Unfortunately there is no manutfacturer information on it. I tried it out of interest but it feels awkward to me.

1 Like

I can see why, that is quite a long pick. Thank you posting again, appreciated.

R.

1 Like

Try the 355 shape, which is a large isosceles triangle in celluloid from either D’Andrea or Fender. It’s significantly longer than the standard 351 or the large triangle 346.

1 Like