Losing motivation

i seee, ill def see what i can do when it comes to figuring stuff out without knowing all the scales and whatnot!

I think it can be about finding what you enjoy about guitar and pursuing that. In terms of the lessons youā€™ve gone way further than I did.

I did grade 1 and then started focusing on songs that I wanted to play rather than lessons, lessons and more lessons. Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™m not saying donā€™t do lessons, but given that youā€™ve got the fundamentals by now, look for what interests you and follow that path. Thereā€™s nothing that says that youā€™re set on that path for life if you change your mind or get bored. I personally prefer a narrower focus because it feels like Iā€™m making progress rather than being mediocre at lots of things.

2 Likes

but isnt it already the case ? :sweat_smile:

What i mean is , you gotta ask yourself some questions ?
Why do you wanna learn the guitar ?
What path can you follow to reach your goal ?
Why did you lose interest ?
What can you do to progress and regain interest ?

3 Likes

Bruno,
This is soooo common for guitar players. The Burnout Syndrome which causes lack of interest or desire to keep playing definitely happens to almost every guitar player Iā€™ve ever known. If you think about what made you want to pick up guitar in the first place & keep that in the back of your mind all the time, itā€™ll help you to keep going. Desire without persistence doesnā€™t equal knowledgeā€¦ you have to keep picking up the guitar, strapping it on & play it, or like you say, youā€™ll lose ground. You have the desire - just pick it up & WAIL, man!!!
Some of my friends are marathon runnersā€¦ it took them a long time to create for themselves the stamina to run the whole marathon. They started with 3K, then 5Kā€¦ eventually Half Marathons & finally they could compete in a full-distance Marathon. Pace yourself & donā€™t get discouraged that it doesnā€™t happen overnight (or even THIS year)!!!
I had a co-worker once who was very discouraged about his guitar playing. He was frustrated at his slow progress & wasnā€™t inspired by the music that his level of ability allowed him to play. He offered me his guitar & said he was giving upā€¦ I refused & told him to pack it away for a while since heā€™d probably want to play again at some point in the future. He transferred away & I didnā€™t see him for 5 or 6 years. He came to my workplace one day & I asked him if heā€™d ever started playing guitar again. He got so excited! He told me that heā€™d never completely stopped & that one day he went to his daughterā€™s dance recital. They had professional Flamenco dancers doing an exhibition with this fantastic guitarist playing for them - he was so inspired that he went out & got himself a Flamenco style guitar, an in-person instructor & started to learn Spanish. He admitted that he still had quite a ways to go but that he could play about 20-30 Classical pieces in Flamenco style!
I guess the moral of the story here is that you never know when or where inspiration will strike & that if you persist with your playing, the skyā€™s the limit - especially at your age!!!
Have lots of fun with tu chapa :guitar: :grin:

Tod

3 Likes

Like many here have asked, you need to ask yourself why you want to play? For me, I just decided one day that I was tired of just listening to the music I love, I wanted to learn how to play it, and to make my own music (and I was also looking for a cheap hobby for retirement). I fiddled around with electric blues for a while, then one day while listening to Floydā€™s Wish You Were Here, I decided I wanted to learn on an acoustic and do fingerpicking. I learned some songs from YouTube videos, songs that I just wanted to be able to play (Nothing Else Matters, Dust in the Wind, Time in an Bottle, Tears in Heaven, etc.). Once you can make it through some well-known songs, the hook is set. I ā€˜re-learnedā€™ how to read music when I went through a book for classical guitar (took a year of lessons when I did that). Now Iā€™m kind of hooked on the sound of the classical guitar, but occasionally go back to steel-string acoustic (like now, trying to learn Solsbury Hill).

If you reach the point where you can play some songs decently in their entirety, I think itā€™s easier to stay motivated. You start wanting to play more complicated tunes. If you hate doing things like practicing scales (which I rarely do lately), focus on playing songs. Donā€™t be afraid to seek out other types of music. I never listened to classical guitar until now, but when I heard some of Andrew Yorkā€™s student pieces on YouTube, I fell in love with the music and the instrument and desperately wanted to learn it. This from starting with electric blues, which I havenā€™t touched since the year I got started. So you never know where the journey will take you.

Lastly, I think a lot of motivation comes from having a serious love of music. If music is just background noise to you, there will probably never be enough motivation to keep at learning an instrument (thatā€™s just my own feeling on the matter).

Now, my biggest regret is that I didnā€™t learn the guitar at an earlier age, since I started in my mid-50s. If you love music, donā€™t let that be your regret too.

1 Like

one thing that changed the game for me was getting a behringer audio interface for my computer. and getting the otto audio 11 11 plugin. It has a selection of amps and cabs you can use to make some nice metal tones. grabbed some tabs for like bring me the horizon or while she sleeps rhythm sections and jam out. They mostly use triads for the songs super easy to play along with the chorus then slowly build up to the other sections. Whereas before i was just trying to play along with some songs i wasnt interested in on the app, n killed it for me a bit.

1 Like

How long have you been playing guitar that youā€™re trying to play stuff from bernth and syncatto?

1 Like

i hate how i got sick the exact day i posted this, and also as a result ended up being too anxious to reply to anyone here lel-

lmfao i would only start even trying to play their songs when im well over like, a few years in, im still a beginner but yeah-

also thanks for everyone for all the tips! i def feel some of that demotivation falling and im slowly being able to go back to practicing and stuff, and yeah learning easy songs and just getting to play something new actually helped more than i thought it would lolol

1 Like

Yay! Welcome back! I think that no matter how badly we want to drill, we need to remember that we are doing this for fun.
Keep having fun and donā€™t rush to an end game.

2 Likes

yee! having fun is one of the best parts of it but at the same time you do gotta get serious at times lel :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Did you spend time learning Enter Sandman when it came along in the lessons in Gr 2? I was/am feeling the exact same way that you described in you original post, and I decided to back up a bit and look over the past modules for things Iā€™d glossed over and am giving them more attention. Iā€™ve had some new fun with Enter Sandman because that was too big a challenge a year ago. And if you havenā€™t learned the rolling chord Greensleeves yet, thatā€™s also a challenge. Now that my skill is a little better, Iā€™m better equipped for those two challenges. You might find some new fun in bigger challenges like that.

2 Likes

If it is to help one have more fun, then yes!

1 Like

actually yeah! today i was playing in a bit, i havent gotten the whole thing yet but ill definetly be able to do that alternate version of the first riff lel

1 Like