Love in Vain by The Rolling Stones Lesson

Learn to play Love in Vain by The Rolling Stones on JustinGuitar!

View the full lesson at Love in Vain by The Rolling Stones | JustinGuitar

1 Like

This is Robert Johnson’s best and easily most emotionally mature and complex song, in my opinion.
The lyric has a voice that isn’t found anywhere else in his writing.
So much so, that I do wonder if it was written by another hand.

1 Like

Justin does this really well, love the song!

The stones? meh. I just dont get on with Micks singing, rather have Justin.

2 Likes

I’ve got you @JustinGuitar! To play it close to the record, you have to play in standard tuning, but yes put the capo on the first fret, so it’s in Ab. You do a walk down starting on double stops from frets 10 and 12 on the high E and B strings (relative to the capo) and then switch to pinky on the third fret of the high E relative to the capo and walk down from the third fret on the D string until open before landing on a D7. The verses, he seems to always have a pinky on the third fret relative, but you play G for one bar, then G7 for three with some slides or fill stuff. C for two bars with your pinky on the high E, Then back to G for two bars, but here is where it gets interesting. He throws in a D7 (the secondary dominant) for a hot second in these two bars. Then for the turn-around he does a II-V-I-V (A7, D7, G, D7-relative to the capo) instead of the V-IV-I-V (D7, C7, G7, D7) you would expect.

Some people also play this song in open G tuning, which is fun if you want to bust your slide out, but I think Robert played it in standard either with a capo or out-of-tune guitar or they also could have raised the pitch slightly bc of the recording technology at the time often did that

Justin’s voice on point :heart_eyes: sooo good!!