Madman's Diary - Blues for Twenty Two Lick 1 (Chapter 13 Jan 2022)

I think Toby while you are getting into Blues licks playing over BT etc it’s invaluable to pick some blues songs and learn them throughout as well, doesn’t have to be Pride and Joy straight away but some easier stuff where you have plenty of tasty licks and you can pick up some ideas as well to incorporate into your own stuff. Just a thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adi yes that’s the plan.

I’ve been listening a lot to BB, Freddie and Albert amongst others and looking for suitable songs, Bad Sign, Crosscut Saw type thing but also seeing/hearing the influences in Led Zep (eg Killin Floor/Lemon Song cross overs etc), Pete Green, Rory Gallagher, Eric the Shredder Clapton etc to a greater degree and tying things together with the old masters. And now recognising licks in my go to Southern Rock collection. Next figure out what to bend in the Major Pent !! :rofl:

Pride and Joy is on the long term list but a good start from a rhythm perspective. Found a great compilation on Spotify, Blues Classics with 70 tracks that fall into my radar !.

So in these early days of building the lick library up, I am collating material for full songs inc vocals. As I said somewhere here (I think) plan is to add rhythm, lead and vox and not multitrack. So yes covers are planned but I want to get the mechanics right to start with. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for asking! Things are coming around slowly. My antennae are up and starting to pick up some vibrations.

Hint: Looking at some interesting new entry points into approaching improvisation. One is kind of a no brainer (wonder why I hadn’t thought of it before) and another is something fairly technical. Something just might click soon. Just need a cool loop or backing track to fire up the engines.

2 Likes

Sounding good, Toby. Now give me some sweet vibrato at the end of those phrases! :slight_smile:

@J.W.C

Jason

Thank you kinds sir. As to the vibrato, as often said in the British Parliament “I refer the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave earlier.”

Had a huge dose of RBS with this one for some reason and started fluffing my lines. But yes marked for round 2 when I decide on which licks or key to use for the next Blues 22 outing. :sunglasses:

Hello @TheMadman_tobyjenner
How do you place those videos so that you can see the video and people don’t have to click on such an orange hyperlink?
Or is that a smartphone thing? then …bummer … then David meant that to me before.
Greetings,Rogier

Rogier

The good thing about the new “forum” is the ability to drop a link address directly into this text box. As you can see all my videos are hosted on my YouTube channel - no I am not a Utuber its just convenient ! - and I just copy and paste the link here. Simple as that.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Thanks , but I don`t understand it…
with you I see a photo that I can click on and I am not actually forwarded … Yes, but that’s how it seems …and whatever I copy or cut and paste…drop or …I only get that orange link.
I’m going to bazinga on my LL…See you later,am I afraid of :sweat_smile:

Edit: i have half an idea of ​​what i did…so a few more times and it’s in my head…thanks

Rogier

I copied this link address from your YT channel and just pasted it here. I copied from the browser address panel as per screenshot

1 Like

So, the trick is in placing the screenshot here…I figured first thing out…
now I’m going to … Consciously … take a screenshot … so it will just be the first time :grin:

Edit: hi, I just posted something right the first time…hopefully I don’t wait too long for the next video…it always takes me a while for something like this to stick…Thanks

Hey Toby,
You got a boss cranky tone there on the axe. Gotta love that mano! Timing was good to my ears… Bends sound fairly good and I think they are coming along. I even like the backing track…

What you going to do for your next mad Mn show?

Keep rock’n,
LB

Thank you LB !

Working on some more licks at the moment and seeing how I can combine them with Justin’s Blue’s Lead licks. So expect another recording along these lines now and then throughout the year. Song/sing wise focusing on the Open Mic but another in the pipe which could be next but also honing my finger style, so a more accomplished recording of that also brewing and a follow on the the recordings I posted in my Learning Log. Plenty of irons in the fire including some solo acoustic blues.

:sunglasses: