Madman's New Diary Chapter Four - Easy As a B C!

An enjoyable listen Toby. Playing seemed to suit the backing track, and some interesting licks.

I liked how you repeated some licks a few times before moving on, added some tension and build up to the track.

Sounded great to me, Toby, I really liked the repeating riff, and especially played in different places on the fretboard.

Interesting vibe going on here Toby, reminds me of some band I’ve seen in the distant past, can’t put my finger on who it was though :exploding_head:
Anyways suffice it to say that I enjoyed listening to it! :+1::metal:t2::+1::metal:t2::+1::metal:t2:

OK just done a little mini remix but will responded to recent posters before sharing ! :sunglasses:

@TheCluelessLuthier Thank you Mark a mix of mellow and some grit so sounds like I ticked that box. I have no clue if slides like that have a technical name. All I know with the plate reverb and tape delay and a bit of fiddling that came out very nicely but pay attention to the remix. :sunglasses:

@jkahn Thanks JK trying to emulate what the greats do. Keep using on lick in different ways in different places. They make it look and sound so easy but for me its all part of the learning path. Thanks for the feedback. :sunglasses:

@Mari63 Thanks for listen Mari, see above re the “duplicates” :rofl:

@DarrellW Yeah Southern Rock meets a laid back John Lee Hooker wearing gloves. I know what you mean about the sound. I like what I heard during the build but can’t place it either. Glad you enjoyed it. :+1:

1 Like

OOoo Kay, so finally got round to a possibly improved mix but you’ll be the judge of that.

Apart from of the observation made here, I was not happy with the drums on the BT. Very little I can do to change that but the previously doubled track was repanned dead centre. One track got an EQ favouring kick, the other favouring snare. Not quite the same as remixing a bespoke drum track but it produced a tad of difference. IMHO of course. :smile:

I dropped the duplicate gtr track and centred the whole shebang. First off was some ReaEQ to control the frequencies in a more amenable manner. Then a Compressor was added to equal out the track but minimise any haemorrhaging. ReaLimit was used to boost and cap the track before I had some fun with the Pan and Volume envelopes. Still with me ? :rofl:

The Volume Envelope was used to raise those sections @adi_mrok spoke of that were a little too soft. The double stops were also a little harsh, so these were dropped a little to even out the “lead” delivery. As the BT fades away at the end, I gradually reduced the volume in stages over the last 3 or 4 bars to match or compliment the fade.

On the Pan Envelope, I decide to have some fun with the C slides and bounced them alternately left right left, like some new squaddies in training but you may need cans to appreciate what’s happening.

The Master already has an Abbey Road Chamber pre-set to balance things out and give a pleasant mix but the volume was a little too low, so I messed around with ReaLimit unit I got a respectable -1.7 db level on YouTube.

For the non-technical : I faffed around with a few things and it might or might not be a little better. Simples.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

All the way, my friend.

Good job, an improvement in my ears.

I think the balance between lead and BT is spot on when you are playing on the Be strings, sits nicely. I think the first portion played in the lower register, still sits a little low. I’m wildly guessing but figure that could be the combo of reverb and frequencies and the tone of the BT at that point.

Irrespective, most enjoyable to have a second listen!

Well its safe to say you have mastered the art of faffing around. That was certainly improvement in my ears too. Good work, Toby.

1 Like

Sounded better to me Toby, similar to David mostly on strings B E with lower registers still a bit low. However I don’t want you to spend too much time on it and to my ears it was good enough to leave it as it is :sweat_smile: all the best

1 Like

That was some tasty playing once again Toby.

I loved the sound, loved the groove, love your playing. :sunglasses:

Monsieur has too much time on his hands! :laughing:
Enjoyed the diary, version one and MkII.
‘Faffing’ resulted in definite improvement.
Probably my favourite instrumental of yours to date :smiley:

Adi

Tend to agree. I think the JLH pre-set is muddier on the thicker strings and blends in to the BTs crunchiness. One to watch for future projects and may be plumb in my expression pedal ! And yes this one will now be archived for reference, no more tweaks.

Cheers

Toby

Too much there Stefan :rofl: but I am glad you liked it. :sunglasses:

Sounds like you are quoting the Strolling Bones !! May be not too much but it does seem to be on my side for a change. Thanks for ticking the Faffing box, at least folks are hearing the difference. I am also honoured that you picked my latest as your favourite. That either means I am improving, in gluing these lick selections together or this one sucks least :rofl:
As always appreciate the feedback and the listen.

1 Like

My mind went here Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands - YouTube dear me … the outfits, the hairstyles …

And best never to think that time is really on your side, now Jagger and those tights and knee pads Rolling Stones - Time Is on My Side LIVE Tempe, Arizona '81 - YouTube and I confess it is Keef on stage that made me think it would be a good idea to get a guitar

And while going way off topic free-styling on ‘time’ … Joe Jackson - One More Time (Live 1980).flv - YouTube loved that record as a high schooler, seemed to sum up all the teenage angst growing up and attending a boys only high school.

Enough, back to licks and BTs

Ha I have soooo much time I am emulsioning my lounge ceiling. Selected Blues/Rock Genre on iTunes and working through my whole Rory catalogue. 2.5 albums done 2.5 to go. But having a deserved coffee. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Toby!
What can I say here?
It turned out to be a great job. Your guitar is perfectly in the mix. And you drove a super sound. The overall picture reminded me of “From Dusk to Dawn” - I’m not sure that this wonderful film by Rodriguez is called that in the original. But you understand me :grinning:
Keep on rocking,
Leo

I’ll take that Leo !

One day I’ll do some Tito and The Tarantulas or Los Lobos :crazy_face: , epic soundtrack on that movie. Yeah wanted something a bit crunchy and dirty to go with the backing track but still keep a laid back vibe. Thanks for the listen.

Cheers

Toby

Hi Toby,
I gave your “improved mix” a listen and it came across as good stuff to me. Nice job of getting everything glued together for this one.

Be well and all the best as you progress down your music path,
LB