MadModMcd - December 2022 - 1st uploads - Van Morrison & Tom Petty

Thanks Peter, very kind words. :+1:

Sounded like a winnner to me!!! I am not too familiar with the song, from what i remember, sounded groooooovy!!! Lol Great job!
Rock on Brother! Sociable! Peace out! :v: :fist_left: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sounded good. Nice public share! When we share publicly it sends a clearer message that we want people to take the time to listen. Private videos are really for a person’s own purposes. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks for posting, we really enjoyed your performance. You have a great voice!

1 Like

Thanks for your encouragement Thomas :+1:

Just getting to grips with uploading videos. Feedback is very welcome, good and bad. :+1:

8 Likes

Hi Ian,
Good one ,nice and steady :sunglasses: :clap:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Thanks Roger :+1:

Very nicely done! Solid job keeping it steady. Very impressive you didn’t miss a beat at all when your fingers slipped up a little at 1:18, but you just kept going smoothly that I bet most people don’t even notice it.

I love this song, and now I want to learn it!

1 Like

Thanks Felix. I was aware that I had made a boob at that point and did think about redoing it, but it wasn’t a big deal for me. Thanks for your kind words.

1 Like

Nicely done Ian. Great cover, both the playing and vocals! Enjoyed that a lot!

1 Like

Pretty good playing! Well done with your chord progression! :+1: Much better singer than i am!!!

However, first thing i noticed,this song should be played with your capo on the third fret. I have been practicing this song in particular. Maybe you did that to go along with your voice and are happy with that, then all good. Otherwise this song is played capoing third fret. It will give you the same sound that Petty gets. Strumming sounded descent and mostly in time, fast time, but timed well, however it did not sound like you were quite nailing the strummimg pattern down to me. If someone disaggrees please let me know…i may be learning it wrong. :frowning:

Strumming pattern simplified is from the lesson, DUDDDUDDDUDDDU(see justins guitar lesson on how to place in 1e+a2e+a…) This is a very tricky strummimg pattern in the end, I myself am not a phenome so been practicimg solely the strumming pattern, have a bit of a handle on it now after a weeks practice and no where close to trying to get that one down right on the guitar!!! I can make it sound good, but really i’m off. :frowning: But i will in good practice time. Hope this helps.

Rock on brother! Sociable!!! Peace out! :v: :fist_left: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Eddie, much appreciated!

Thanks for your kind words Darren, I hadn’t actually studied the strumming pattern, more just trying to get comfortable with this posting videos malarkey! I’ll certainly look at Justin’s lesson. All the best.

Sounding good, Ian. Your timing was pretty consistent and you kept right on going and got back on track any time something was off. I see from your previous comment that you’re doing your own strumming pattern and not trying to exactly match Petty. Nothing wrong with that as long as it’s in time and works, which it does. Well done!

As far as constructive criticism, the main thing I’d suggest is giving the verses and choruses a different energy. I think that would elevate your performance, giving some contrast and additional interest to the song. One noticeable way Petty does that is with the intensity of his vocal during the chorus, but there are other ways: dynamics, tempo, different strumming pattern in chorus vs. verse, et cetera. I’d experiment with some of those and see if any work for you and for the song.

2 Likes

Thanks Jason, much appreciated feedback. One of the things I find myself doing is almost like losing focus on the (poor) vocals. At times I start off with great gusto, then run out of ‘intensity’/ Thanks again. :+1:

Well played and sung Ian. It’s a great song but I was thinking something was missing. I went back and listened to the original TP version and was going to suggest a contrast of singing style and/or strum pattern dynamic for the chorus. Jason has beaten me too it!

1 Like

Top tune to pick there Ian and that was very nicely done. Steady strumming and nice changes. Vocals were good too. Also, the video seems bob on, so nailed that aspect as well.

1 Like

Cheers :+1:

Thanks for your reply! :+1: