Maelaevi - November 2023 - DADGAD idea + Marc Ribot - Congo cover

It’s not his tune originally but from a composer called Frantz Casseus, who was also Marc Ribots guitar teacher. I heard Marc play it live and it sounded similar to this: https://youtu.be/DkJM0kHf2J4?t=1370

I used that video and a recording from the album to figure out the song: Marc Ribot Plays Solo Guitar Works of Frantz Casseus - Album by Frantz Casseus | Spotify

1 Like

Never heard the tune before, or the artist…
but you did a very fine job with it. Sounded delicious.
Very well done!!

1 Like

nice vid. I like the staccato approach. Just found Fat Man Blues live at NY accoustic tune - really great. Thanks for opening the door of Ribot wider for me.

1 Like

Anton, I really enjoyed your performance of Congo. The song is a beautiful piece with two complicated parts played at the same time in the upper and lower strings. I thought that your playing was amazing and I wasn’t able to hear the mistakes. Thanks for the links to the songs and video of Frantz Cassius who I had never heard of. I had also not heard Marc Ribot play (who sounds like one of those virtuosos who can play anything on guitar) so this opens a new world to me . Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Anton from an electro-acoustic nylon string player. There are not many of us in the forum so it will be interesting to hear if you make the leap. I’m still very much in the trenches of the beginners grades on here, but find your playing super inspiring. Even perhaps to try some alternate tunings too. Looking forward to hearing more of your playing.

1 Like

Thanks Steve! Its fun to find new music to listen to.

1 Like

Extremely impressive playing Anton! Very enjoyable to listen to.

1 Like