Maelaevi - November 2023 - DADGAD idea + Marc Ribot - Congo cover

Learning guitar has changed my life and wanted to tell it to this community.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5g5n_Zt2E0

I just came up with this idea on the guitar and wanted to share it. My second day playing in DADGAD tuning and it is amazing how changing from standard tuning to another tuning can unlock your playing! A rut buster as you say.

Anyway if Justin ever reads these I just wanted to say thanks! I bought all your beginner course books and DVD’s years ago and learned how to play from them. Good stuff! Keep teaching!

10 Likes

Very nice, welcome to the community.

1 Like

That was really nice - I love DADGAD - I used to play in it a lot, but I’ve gone back to standard these days as I’m really trying to get the fingerboard and intervals nailed.

1 Like

Thank you. Im learning songs from Dominic Millers Songbook and some of the songs are in DADGAD. I love the sound of it now for sure after trying it out.

Welcome to the Community, Anton.

That was a delightful recording. The playing was top drawer, the composition lovely, and the recording sounded fabulous.

I hope you’ll share more of the songs as you learn them.

You may want to introduce yourself to the community over in Introduce yourself ..., just a short post sharing some personal background, guitar history, and aspirations.

Thanks David. I’ll try and record some covers of songs I have learned.

Sure I’ll go and write an introduction. I actaully did write something on the old forums but thats probably been deleted. It was a long time ago.

1 Like

Been trying to learn this tune but it is very difficult. There are some (a lot) mistakes here but I couldn’t perfom it as cleanly as I wanted. There are some parts that need preicison practice.

5 Likes

Hello Anton :grinning:

A very warm welcome to the forum!

I really enjoyed your video. Keep up the great work :+1:

Wishing you lots of fun and success on your musical journey :grinning: :guitar:

Cheers from Germany
Gunhild :lady_beetle:

1 Like

That was beautiful Anton. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Great composition and great playing! I’ve used double drop D tuning but never heard of DADGAD - I’ll check it out.

1 Like

Very nice work ya did there Anton! Sounded great. In a alternative tuning too boot. Very cool. I enjoyed that.

I mostly play in standard tuning though the new song I’m trying to learn now uses double drop D.
I feel like I’m getting adventurous now… :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Sounding good Anton. Not the hack job you made it out to be. Very enjoyable.

Thank you! I think its just part of my country’s culture: that you should not to praise yourself too much. But yeah I am actually pleased by how well I can play it even though there are mistakes.

1 Like

Thank you! You should check out an old video of Justins where he interviews Pierre Bensusan who composes music in DADGAD. His music is very good. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4AxVsXUKc

I used to be afraid of alternate tunings. I would think: “no way im changing the tuning. I barely know how to play in standard”. Actually, with a tuning where just the open strings together sound nice, it makes playing somehow easier. Though you do not know the actual name of the chords etc. you just try and make a nice sound with the guitar by experimenting and the open tuning allows you to do it. I have not tried double drop D but I will in the future. The “coldplay” tuning is nice also if you ever learned the song “Yellow”. I think in that you tune the thinnest string down a semitone.

1 Like

I liked that Anton @maelaevi
A snappy little tune. :slight_smile:
You finger pick real well man! I don’t know that song so wouldn’t know a mistake from 'played like you want it". But it sounds like you’ve learned that song to me. It also sounds difficult to me.

Only thing I can offer, and you know what it is.
Practice makes perfect… I image you’ll have it just like ya want it in no time.

Thanks for sharing. Fun song!

1 Like

Anton, that was a great composition in DADGAD and excellent playing and recording. I have just started learning DADGAD and just purchased a microphone for recording. Your video inspires me to explore the new tuning and to learn to improve my recordings. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you! And good luck! Recording and getting the right sound can be a little difficult.

Exactly how I feel. I don’t understand the point of learning different tunings.

Never heard this Ribot tune. I really like it. I have 2 cd’s both electric. He has such a distinct and vibrant style.

Keep at it you did a fine job. Reminded me of Mood for a Day by Steve Howe just because I learned that by rote decades ago and it took me forever to get it sounding ok. Tried The Clap too but that was too difficult.

Nice !

1 Like