Major Pentatonic In The Blues

View the full lesson at Major Pentatonic In The Blues | JustinGuitar

Dear Justin, I really like these videos. In the comment can it be that a small mistake is mentioned? Am I correct by stating that on a D chord you can use the Bmin pentatonic scales. But in the comment it is mentioned a Am pent.
The comment mentions:
““So over the D7 you should play D Major Pentatonic - D E F# A B (or you can switch to the A Minor Pentatonic, but we’ll explore that later!)””

Theory question here: what is it in particular that makes the C# note of the A major pentatonic scale clash with the C note of the D7 chord? The fact that they are 1 semi-tone apart?

Thanks in advance!

(Disclaimer: I don’t play at this level (I’m going through Blues Lead 1), but I watch the videos and try to follow the ideas.)

Anyway, I don’t think it’s a mistake. Justin is saying if you want to break out of the usual A min pent scale, you can play A major pent over the A7 chord, but when the D7 comes along you either have to switch to D major pent or you can revert to the usual A min pent.

@YokoDi

Kudos for analysing and diving deep.
However, there is no error.
The text and statements are correct.

Note that D major pentatonic and B minor pentatonic share the same notes.
Hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Moderator, Official Guide & Approved Teacher

2 Likes

Way above my playing Grade but can perhaps simpify the theory.

Having watched and listened, when Justin mentions a minor pentatonic he is only referring to the shape of position 1 of the minor scale not the scale itself. B minor is the relative minor scale to D Major. Hence for D Major you can use position 1 of the Major Pentatonic scale and another useful position would be using shape 1 of the B minor pentatonic but starting on the 10th fret of the 6th string rather than the 7th fret. In CAGED terms it is based on a G Major chord shape but looks the same as the “classic” minor shape. The notes are the same but the note function dramtically changes. He does his best to explain the clashes of using the same licks using that shape but maybe his script needs to be rewritten.

As we progress I think we need to learn to be able to read between the lines of certain terminology

@dave.pritchard101

Actually Justin is talking About the A minor pentatonic not the
Shape. The chord progression in A7 D7 E7 and the A minor
pentatonic will fit over all 3 chords. But this lesson is on the
Major Pentatonic.
But the A Major pentatonic will clash with the D7 so one option
is to switch to the A minor pentatonic.

3 Likes

Dear Richard,
Thank you very much for you help.
Kind regards
Dirk