Major Scale Improvisation

To help improve aural skills, maybe it would also be a good idea to sing along with the guitar while improvising the notes?

1 Like

@melr317 Definitely, if you can, sing along to the major scale as you practice it. Some notes may go outside of your range. To sing what you improvise or, vice versa, to play what your improvise in your singing, is a high level skill. It definitely takes a good ear plus superb knowledge of the intervals and where to place your fingers for the notes you know will hear / expect to hear.

1 Like

By far the most fun lesson for me, enjoyed it so much!
I remembered that about 15 years ago when I had my first attempts with a guitar (I went trough a huge hiatus from guitar and only now I am trying to learn again), some of my friends at school were ahead of me on their guitar lessons and would do those improvisation sessions with each other, they invited me of course, but I don’t know why, I had no confidence and a ton of anxiety on top of being behind, so I felt blocked and judged even before trying. Being able to do it now feels so great and it is so fun!

2 Likes

Very fun! I did just the thinnest E string and tonight will incorporate more. It’s difficult not to shoot ahead and do more, but I’m staying the course.

2 Likes

Awesome. Great fun and actually makes me feel like I am getting somewhere. great lesson Justin.

1 Like