Major Scale Improvisation

Learn how to improvise using the major scale and explore how to make your own guitar solos!

View the full lesson at Major Scale Improvisation | JustinGuitar

1 Like

this lesson is very fun!!

1 Like

This is so much fun, I hope there will be more backing tracks in future lessons! feel like rockstar popstar SUPERSTAR :triumph:

8 Likes

Hi I found this backing track to play along with a wonderful way of learning to improvise, even my wife thinks I am actually getting somewhere now, are there any more to play along with?.
thanks
pete

3 Likes

Hi @Petesurf
you could consider purchasing some jam tracks?

1 Like

I searched c major backing tracks in YouTube - there are a bunch!

4 Likes

one of the best lesson so far! really enjoy it

2 Likes

This was a humbling lesson and DEFINITELY a good one. I love how Justin told us to take it LITTLE bit of strings at a time. It’s true. I have a tendency to overplay and this really allowed me to explore the scale fully

1 Like

This is so fun! Is there an easy way to determine the chord progression of this track?

1 Like

OMG am I the only one that wants to get up and run away :scream:This terrifies me! Can’t wait to give it a go.

Well, now that I have given it a go…who knew how much fun that was going to be. Well pleased :smiley:

6 Likes

Hi Emma! You are NOT the only one! I haven’t done this module yet, and it scares me. I think it scares me more than the F chord. “F” is a physical skill; it’s hard, but I know I will eventually be able to do it. Improvisation is a creative skill, and for my entire life I have felt anxiety about being asked to do any “creative” task. BUT, I will pretend not to be afraid when I get to this one and I’ll try to go with the old “fake it till you make it” strategy.

We have a tradition around here for newcomers to drop by the #community-hub:introduce-yourself topic and tell us a little about yourself and what has influenced you to start this guitar learning journey. I encourage you to check it out. You’ll see that the other part of the tradition is for folks to give you a very warm welcome and make you feel right at home. We’re all here to support each other and share experience and advice in a judgement free zone.

4 Likes

This is too cool! Thanks so much, Justin!! I recorded myself on Garageband and it sounds great after a few takes. Only problem was, If I cut the backing track out and just listen to my tune, it sounds like Garbageband instead. Oh well. That being said, should the tune be able to stand on its own without the backing track?

2 Likes

@60sguitar Rick, that sounds great.

Why not post up a recording of your improvisation here: #all-about-your-music:audio-video-of-you-playing. You are sure to get lots of encouragement, feedback, and maybe even some suggestions to continue to develop your playing.

As for the tune standing on its own. My simplest answer would be: eventually. I can listen to somebody play just a solo without backing and enjoy it, but it may take time to develop your melodic ideas and be able to play with feel. Initially, I expect the context of the backing does make for a more pleasing overall sound.

So keep on keeping on and sure it will sound better and better.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I will go and introduce myself as you suggested.

I have now had a dabble and really enjoying it. Now have the stupid idea that I may write a song one day :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Hi Dave,

I have introduced myself…you will be sorry you mentioned it :rofl:

Happy playing.

2 Likes

this backing track is so valuable. I found it not only useful for this lesson, but also for practicing 1564 chord progression with Am → F. Fun to play some rhythm and then solo for some bars etc.

2 Likes

MAAAN this is the most fun lesson so far . I wish you had a bit more demos where you show off all the amazing stuff we can make with the little we know so far. There is always this feeling of wanting to learn more as so far it’s not enough but Im curious of what crazy stuff Im capable of doing with the foundation learned thus far :slight_smile: Anyway amazing stuff, thanks so much ! I`m following the lessons here and on the app and having great fun. Vick.

1 Like

I found this lesson so much fun and useful. I am working on song writing, but always go to the keyboard to write. This is the first time I found myself using the guitar and it worked. The backing track was super useful to allow me to have those breathing spaces you talked about in the lesson. Thanks for sharing this and including it in the module.

1 Like

i’m confused; i seem to be finding different c major scales where they use other notes. how do i know wich one is the right one?

1 Like

@Civillian1 oh-oh … are you exploring the vast interweb and finding random results that don’t follow the expected path?

If you have found anything called ‘C major scale’ it will not be using different notes. But different arrangements (patterns) of the same seven notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B.

There are two main approaches: CAGED and 3-notes-per-string (3nps). And I strongly urge you not to go exploring them yet. I’m only mentioning them to answer your question.

Starting with the open position C major scale used in this lesson, on a 22-fret guitar, there are 9 versions of the CAGED patterns. Plus there are seven 3nps patterns. Just disregard all of this for now. Learn and use only one where you are. That’s it. Just one. Enjoy and make music with it.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

4 Likes