Major Scale Pattern 2

Learn Pattern 2 and a very effective approach to switching between individual notes on the fretboard.

View the full lesson at Major Scale Pattern 2 | JustinGuitar

I think there’s a typo:

“Luckily, you can just look back to the fret and go down two strings (an octave)”

I think that should be “look back two frets”.

[mod note]
Typo fixed, thanks for heads up.
Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Pattern 2 is called the D Shape in CAGED system but I don’t see the D Shape. Where is it? In Pattern 1 the E Shape was obvious but doesn’t seem so in Pattern 2.

1 Like

Hi @jashnotes . The D shape is at the 7th fret of string 3, 8th fret of string 2, and 7th fret of string 1. You will find this towards the end of the pattern. The D chord played on the first 3 strings is a very nice movable shape. Play that chord, 3 strings only. Keep your fingers in that position, and then move up 2 frets and you have an E chord, 1 more fret and you have an F chord (since there’s only a semi tone between E and F), 2 more frets and you have a G chord. That puts your chord on the frets indicated above, which fall in this 2nd pattern (you will also find D#, F#, etc, by moving the applicable number of notes).

1 Like

@jashnotes the D shape comes from the 2 root notes.
If you play a D chord the root notes are on the open D string
and the note D on the B string 3 frets up. Look at the notes in
the chord.
If you look at the chart of the scale you will see the 2 root notes
are on the D string and on the B string 3 frets up.

1 Like

@mari @stitch Thanks guys! Took me some time to get my head around it but I found it. The movable D shape was a happy discovery.

1 Like

Hello @jashnotes welcome to the Community.

For you, and others experiencing the same difficulty of seeing what is there, here are Patterns 1 and 2 with the scale adjacent to the chord shape.

A similar approach will allow you to find and see the C, A and G chords in Patterns 3, 4 and 5 when you get there.

Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

5 Likes

Thanks @Richard_close2u yes I see it now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used scales for ear training instead of music making does that work?

I am a rookie so please don’t shoot me down and I may have missed an explanation in an earlier lesson. What is the purpose of pattern 1, 2, 3 etc… It would have helped me if there had been an explanation what looking at these patterns would achieve. Where are we trying to get to. It may seem really obvious but it’s not to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Robert

I’m not trying to shoot you down. You mention your a roockie
and want to know if your missing something.
Well this lesson is Intermediate Grade 4. Have you done grade
1 through 3 of Justin’s Beginner Course?
If the answer is No then that’s what you’re missing.
If you have completed grades 1 through 3 you wouldn’t need to
ask the question.

Thanks for your reply. I have done all the previous lessons but I have asked the question because I don’t know the answer. Perhaps you or someone could direct me towards an answer possibly in a previous lesson. Thanks.

The fret board is layed out in 5 different patterns called the
CAGED system. The 5 patterns of the Major scale are patterned
after each Chord in CAGED. This old lesson should help you
understand the patterns better

1 Like