Major Scale Pattern 3

Pattern 3 of the Major Scale is based around the C Shape of the CAGED System. It's an easy pattern to play - and one of my favorites!

View the full lesson at Major Scale Pattern 3 | JustinGuitar

I am now happy with the three mj scale patterns, and also now learning the AM pentatonic scale in parallel but using the am pen for licks and with a backing track.

Are the 3 mj scales I’ve leaned also now ready to do licks with or is this later in the course. Also which backing tracks would I use for these three scales

Hi Craig , @Craigward
The idea is that with the first scale you learn, you first get the most out of it musically for a long time, and yes including licks, and then continue with the next one… usually we first learn minor pattern and major pattern 1 at about the same time, but you should be able to play with that very very well to continue ,
Hope this helps
Greetings,Rogier

Craig, you can’t go back from where you are now, with your learning of three major scale patterns and I don’t suggest you unlearn patterns 2 and 3. I do suspect that you have either missed or over looked some essential advice and learning pointers contained within the major scale maestro lessons. Hopefully I can steer you back to these.
The idea is to learn one pattern and spend a long time becoming really familiar with it - not as an up & down exercise that trains your fingers the habit of scale runs but as a vehicle for making music. And to do this over backing tracks.
These are all comments written in the very first Major Scale Maestro lesson for Pattern 1. https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/major-scale-pattern-1-mm-001
(highlights are mine)

Backing Tracks:

2 free doanloadable tracks:

There are many, many people who have learned multiple scale patterns but been unable to actually use any of them for music.

Justin created a video lesson to address this with what may seem a click bait title but contains all the wisdom. https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/when-not-to-learn-scales-sc-104

Interesting topic. What I noticed is that there are many lessons on Justin’s site that teach licks in the minor pentatonic scale. These should be considered little phrases that one can put together to improvise with the minor pentatonic over a blues progression (or other types of progression, I suppose).

However, I don’t see the analogous lessons on licks using the major scale, licks that would form the building blocks to improvise with the major scale. It seems like the improv over the major scale that Justin is teaching in the Major Scale Maestro (https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/major-scale-maestro-1) module is much more free-form, not relying on pre-learned licks, but just improvising using the notes in the scale as the building blocks.

I’d be curious to know the idea behind this difference in teaching improvisation with the minor pentatonic and the major scales. Any thoughts?

The major scale is not such a lick-driven improvisatory tool. It lends itself to longer, story-telling melody creation.

Think of the song Amazing Grace. The melody is all major scale and the whole piece tells a narrative story.

Think of the song Thrill Is Gone. This is minor pentatonic and it is a story (of sorts) but the narrative could be summarised as You done bad, I feel blue, it’s lonely on my own. The conveying of the emotion takes a little more priority over the actual substance and quality of the story telling.

Amazing Grace can best be told by means of a melody that swoops along a long and winding road (to steal a lyrical phrase from a musician who knows something about writing and singing melodies).
Stories weave a path through the usual plot devices of introduction and development, peril, triumph over adversity etc.

Thrill Is Gone can best be told by licks that emulate the short bursts of emotional outpouring. Gut-wrenching blues can quite readily be described through guttural wailing … I feel sad whoooaa yeah, you hurt me bad mmmmhhh ooohhh, baby’s gone aagghhh. And pentatonic licks, with their articulations and bends and slides and nuances or expressive play are ideal for telling this human hurt.

2 Likes

Thanks @Richard_close2u for the very interesting reply. I hadn’t thought about it like this, but it totally makes sense.

Update: I also came across this from Justin in his old lesson on major scale improv:

There are not as many “licks” as there are in blues style playing - the major scale is more about listening than playing licks!

The lesson I refer to is here: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/major-scale-basic-improvisation-im-123 (just for reference, the new Major Scale Maestro lessons supersede this, I’m sure).

1 Like

But it’s possible…right? or is it bad advice because then I will adjust my answer… for what it’s worth, I did use it a lot in the beginning to play licks (esp the longer ones )and think in major scales, but I have more learned things out of order in my short time before arriving here…
Greetings

thanks roger, sorry another question, go i have learned well the 3 mj scale patterns and the x2 minor pen scales patterns, but licks learned x10 currently are for the minor pen scales…

can I use these licks on the major scales or does Justin teach us major scale licks later on?

Hi Craig,
After having just read Richard’s story again and now it is completely clear to me (explanation was good, my translation in my head had some problems at the time :blush:)

I hope that I can make it clear (EDIT: i don`t think so :see_no_evil:) with that small quote that it could well be, but would actually be a wrong approach (and the same pattern is both major and minor in another place ) , but I doubt whether I will start with the bigger explanation because I fear with great fear that I may not make it clearer.

There will certainly be major scale licks discussed later in the program,follow the blues program step by step and it should become clear, I am not the best explainer in this area, I remember having at least 20 lightbulb moments during these blues lessons… but maybe Richard can give better advice here than I can ,so don`t hesitate to tag him if my explanation is of no use to you …I hope this helps you a little , have fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

FWIW, at my early stage of using scales to make music, I practice this with the Major scale by transcribing and learning the vocal melodies of songs. For example, I just learned to play the vocal melody for “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd. Then, when I get together with my friend who’s been playing for30+ years, I’ll play the vocal melody, he’ll play the solos, and we’ll both take turns playing the chords.

For Minor Pentatonic, I spend 5 minutes every other practice session doing the following:

1. Learn a lick
  2. “Play with it” to find a bunch of variations that sound good to me
  3. Mix it into a 12-bar blues with other licks I already know.
  4. Add some vibrato on the last note of the lick(s)

At this point, I’ve only learned 4 licks, but with them, the variations of them, and some vibrato, I’m already starting to sound like I know what I’m doing :metal:

For the Minor Pentatonic, I’m only using “pattern 1” (the one with the root under the index finger on the low E string) in the keys of A and E, and have started adding in the “blue note” just recently.

For the Major Scale, I’m primarily using “pattern 1” (the one with the root note under the middle finger on the low E string), but because the fingering needed for some vocal melodies requires it, I’m starting to “step outside” that pattern a little. So, I’m kinda learning pieces of the next pattern up and down the neck and a bit of how to play the pattern with different fingers.

YMMV

1 Like