Major Triad Grips (Strings 1/2/3)

Peter

It is covered in Grade 3 :sunglasses:

Oh ok. Thanks.Just about to start grade three after I finish the current music theory module

2 Likes

A visual representation of G chord grips and the pattern of the root notes

2 Likes

I’m trying to experiment with different finger positions for the Major Triad Grip 3 on strings 1,2,3 (G triad with the root note on the 12th fret, third string). It seems like using fingers two and three would free up the pinky to grab that “F” on the first string, 13th fret to get a G7?

1 Like

Yep, go for it mate. There’s no one way to finger a triad/ chord etc. It may change depending on the context.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Here are diagrams with the intervals showing exactly that:
I have left the 5th in the first diagram even though it is not heard / played due to fretting above it.

NB: a 7 chord would not be called a triad.

Ah, yes, my bad. “Quadad” then? As I study along the PMT course, I’m starting to see all sorts of note combinations, which is really the point, I guess.

Do you get any real advantage using arpeggios, Richard when triads offer the root notes?.I understand the rationale for D7 chords,but it just appears to be more stuff to learn.

I think Im asking for the motivation, Richard.

Peter, I’m unsure what context and what use you are thinking of in asking your question.

Oh sorry. I was thinking about using triad grips to solo. But,Ive read your tips about triads and its answers my questions.

1 Like

Getting started with triads and chord tones is what I meant to say. Using the whole neck to identify triad chord tones seems very logical to me. I think I will try that for solos as opposed to shape postions.

1 Like

I’m confused about why the root note is where it is for these shapes.
Up until now I was under the impression that the root note was always the lowest pitched note in each chord, so this throws me off.

1 Like

Triads are small 3-note grips taken from full barre chords (also referred to as “shapes”) which you will encounter in the intermediate grades.

If you know which shape the triad is derived from, then you know where the note root is.

Let’s have a look at the full E-shape, D-shape and A-shape. The notes in light grey are part of the shape, but you don’t play them in these particular triads. They’re just there to help you visualize the complete shape and see the root notes (indicated by “R”).

Triad grip 1 is derived from the E-shape which has a root note on the 6th string, the 4th string and the 1st string. If you only play the thinnest three strings, then your root note is found on the 1st string.

Triad grip 2 is derived from the D-shape which has a root note on the 4th string and on the 2nd string. If you only play the thinnest three strings, then your root note is found on the 2nd string.

Triad grip 3 is derived from the A-shape which has a root note on the 5th string and on the 3rd string. If you only play the thinnest three strings, then your root note is found on the 3rd string.

I hope that makes sense to you. Don’t worry if you don’t understand this yet, Justin tackles all of this in the intermediate grades. For now, just memorize where the root note is found for these three triad grips.

6 Likes

Hi Jeff, Thank you mate, this makes perfect sense now.

1 Like

I just cannot get the Grip 1 to work, as my middle finger mutes the 2nd string every time! I have difficulty keeping the barre finger straight and the second or third finger bent at the knuckle so as to not mute string 2.

Any tips or tricks people have learned to deal with barring?

1 Like

Have you read through this thread? Some helpful hints have been given (including by me :slight_smile:

It’s a tricky grip and takes a lot of practice and patience. Good luck!

2 Likes

I had exactly the same issue, my solution was not to mini barre at all and use 3 fingers.

Conversely for grip 3 I mini barre the g and b strings with ring finger and e with index.

1 Like

I would advise against this. You will need that ring finger at some point: for embellishments, adding the D string to your triad (this is the mini-F shape), adding higher notes on the B and e strings.

That grip is tricky, but doable. It took me a long time to get it consistent. Keep at it and good luck!

2 Likes

I can’t play a mini F either for the same reason, so whilst you may advise against it for most for me it’s the only option and could be for some others.

1 Like

What makes you think that you cannot learn to play the correct grip?

I bet you could with enough experimentation and patience.

1 Like