Mari’s Learning Log

Guitar time is the best time!

Thanks for listening Rogier :smiley:

Thanks for your suggestions, Toby, this one in particular. I know Justin talks about a lick library for blues but I never thought about that in terms of the Major scale (duh!). Lots to think about and practice.

1 Like

It’s 1 month on, so time to post an update on my progression in Justin’s Major Scale Maestro course. I found the Motif Development lesson a really good one, so I’m trying to work on that here. I also liked Toby’s suggestion about collecting some go to runs, although I’m not sure I implemented that much here. Breath, and bends, are the other two things I’m working on. Got a long way to go, but I like the idea of tracking progress. It might take awhile before I feel I’m making much progress, though, but in the meantime it sure is fun.

Any input / tips / suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

(On listening back I realized the backing track should be louder. Next time.)

2 Likes

Hi Mari nice one, good to see you are keeping up the practice with impros! Sounded good to me, as you say BT could be a tad louder but your bends were mostly in tune, I think one thing you could perhaps work a bit more on is vibrato to make it more distinct. However I can fully appreciate this stuff takes time, trust me I know! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Definitely, the song I’m working on, PW, has mega vibrato, and I have none! I decided to just trust the process and see where I end up after going through Justin’s Major Maestro course, and working on songs. Lots to learn, but I’m having fun so will enjoy the journey :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say key is to like with anything else do it slower first but distinctive rather than fast and barely. Just do slower vibratos but so you can tell it is there and then try to accelerate it. That’s what I think at least :grin:

1 Like

What a collection of songs. “Breathless” sounded just gorgeous! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you so much @zys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can happily strum an infinite number of songs. I’ve learned (and often forgotten) quite a few cool songs: songs with identifiable riffs, or ‘sounds like the record’, or cool fingerstyle. What I’m still aiming for though is being able to express myself on my guitar. To find the magic. I’m a definite proponent of the songs songs songs mantra, but I’m still looking for the magic. With a milestone birthday in December, and a 50 year guitar anniversary on Christmas Day, I’m changing my focus to learning improv. I’ve started and stopped on that several times in the past few years, and haven’t really gotten anywhere, but I’m looking forward to this new path. I’m on a journey to find the magic. Watch this space.

Lol keep having fun, whatever guitar path you’re following.

5 Likes

Blues Improv #1 - Aug 12/23
There’s lots I’m not happy about with this 1st attempt - and yes I have tried before but rather more aimlessly, so I’m considering this the starting point and therefore attempt #1 - but you gotta start somewhere! I decided to save it to my Learning Log rather than AVOYP because learning is what it’s going to be about for quite a good long while.

Recorded on my iPhone.

9 Likes

Hello Mari, that was a really nice first blues improv. From the mini improv practices I’ve done so far, I know that that’s not easy at all. So I really think, you made a damn good job :star_struck:. With more practice you’ll get more relaxed and it’ll sound even smoother. But a great start is done :+1::clap::smiley:.
I’m looking forward to seeing how you’re progressing on that :blush:.

1 Like

Thank you Nicole. And here’s to eventual progress! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marie!

This is way above anything that I can play so I can only comment as a listener.
I think you’ve got a good framework there. Little repeating motifs, then take it somewhere else and coming back to the motif. You’ve got the ideas and leaving breathing space between them. These are all things that I’ve picked up from Justin in my early learning of improvisation and you are doing it all.
You say yourself that you’re not happy with it so I’m guessing you know how you want it to sound and how to progress with it.
For me, the notes now need polishing up and make music out of them. This is an early attempt so all that polishing is still to come.

Great stuff! Inspiring too! Keep going with it and I’m sure you’ll get to a point where you are happy with it. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Mari,

Beyond my play grade to give any meaningful feedback. You say there lot’s you’re not happy about; as a starting point focus on the things you were happy about with your playing, any particular phrases that you liked, bends in tune, timing, space etc. I quite liked the phrase you played around the 1.37 minutes in the recording. With your dedication and feel for the blues I’m sure you’re going to make great progress. As you said you’ve got to start somewhere and to be honest you haven’t started off in a bad place. I look forward to following you on this blues improv journey.

1 Like

Thanks David.

This is pretty much how I feel, kind of like I’m learning a few riffs and just randomly playing them so not finding much of interest to say. I am happy to be learning a few licks though, I even started the Lick Library Journal that Justin suggests, and the more I practice I do feel like I will get comfortable. Making music is definitely the goal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks James, that’s a very good point, there are a couple of things I did like and focusing on them as building blocks for next steps is a really good idea. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done Mari. Off to a great start.
The importance of having a solid motif or theme is central, and you’ve got one going on here. Just keep playing around with the scale and the phrasing, trying firstly just to resolve on that root note.

I’ve also found it extremely beneficial to play over just one chord sometimes. It takes the pressure off chasing chords, plus it allows you to start to find and hear the chord tones, and create different phrasings.
You’re on your way. Its not easy at all, but very worthwhile, and fun, as you develop it.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Thanks for checking in, Shane, you’re a big inspiration to me for following this improv path now! :slight_smile: I like the one-chord idea, will check that out next practice session.

Bravo, Mari. What a pleasant surprise to pop in to catch your latest LL update and find you jamming the blues.

Lots to like and build on, some really cool vibes going on at various points, taking advantage of playing at different positions up and down the neck, throwing in the bends.

On the bends, I was looking at your technique and remembering the frequent feedback I received, which is to work on the hand rotation pivoting around the point around the base of the index finger rather than an action based more on pushing the fingers up. Always hard to tell on videos but maybe something to work in, in support of the good support provided by index and middle finger when the bent note played with ring finger.

I also saw your post about tone and the BK50. So I am guessing you are not totally happy with the tone you had here? Talking about tone is as hard and almost mystical as talking about wine taste … finding good adjectives such a challenge. I can’t offer much in the way of help. I think for the blues a slightly ‘fuller’, ‘fatter’ tone with a little more ‘warmth’ would work well. How to tweak is az little beyond me, perhaps rolling off a wee bit on the guitar tone control, fiddling with EQ options on the amp or any FX you are using?

If this is something you are experimenting with as part of this adventure, then maybe Adrian will offer something useful on that other post (I tagged him in). @sclay Shane, I think you are producing some fine bluesy tones and could also share a few thoughts from your own playing?

Look forward to more as you progress, Mari!

1 Like

Out and about with flakey mobile signal, so will have to listen properly via monitors later.

Some good stuff going on Mari. There’s certainly a constant theme and vibe coming across.

You’re using some nice licks and repeating them but you can add some spice with a few tweak ala call answer. I might play the same lick a few times but first time finish on the root, repeat but finish on the 5th, repeat to root, then next say 3b then last time going home to the root and letting it hang. Lots of mileage out of one lick with different final notes. Then repeat at the octaves. But from a quick listen sounding promising.

1 Like