Master Your Major Scales: Intro

Welcome to the JustinGuitar course on mastering your major scales! We’ll be learning five major scale positions that will help you expand as a guitarist!

View the full lesson at Master Your Major Scales: Intro | JustinGuitar

Why is the G Scale called the E shape?

it is called the E shape because like the open E chord
the root notes are on the 2 E strings and the D string.
This is where all the CAGED shapes get their names.
The C shape has the root notes on the A and B strings just like the open C chord and so on with all the shapes.

Copyrights go to @stitch I am just copy pasting it over :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for this. It doesn’t make sense logically, but who cares? I mean the root notes of the "C Shape are on the A and B strings. Plus it doesn’t make any sense to me to play the G scale in what’s called the first position. If you start on the G on the low E string, you can march right up the open strings. How did that position of the second fret come to be called first position? A very accomplished guitar teacher here in the Bay Area referred to the fist position as beginning in the first fret. Is there a formal assignment of first position starting on the second fret? Thanks.

How do you mean this does not make sense? Do you find these examples incorrect or just difficult to play?

In the lesson linked in OP, there’s a book under the Resources tab. It has examples and explanations which can help you understand the logic behind the CAGED system.

Also, I think you’re confusing the terms “position” and “(scale) pattern”. The CAGED system is primarily about patterns. As these patterns have notes played on each string, they are movable along the fingerboard; thus, the fret where you put your first (or any other) finger depends on which pattern of which scale you’d like to play. As Justin teaches pattern 1 of the major scale, the 2nd finger frets the root note on the thickest string. From this it follows that the 1st finger will play the 7th degree of the scale which is one semitone (fret) lower than the note fretted by the 2nd finger.

Logically, not from playing, simple logic. The “C” is called the “C” because the root notes are on the A string and the B string. How does that follow?

Well, the root notes of the open C chord, from which the C shape takes its name, are on the A and B string as you fret the note C on both of them…

Have you checked out the practical music theory course by any chance? Maybe taking a few steps back would help you understand the logic, and the major scale theory is covered there too.

@reblark watch lesson 2 of the series. From 3 minutes on Justin explains everything you are asking.

It is all to do with the fact that …

You can view the scale pattern as containg the shape of a 6-string E-shape barre chord (G majorin this case) …

Or you can view the scale pattern as being a collection of scale notes that surround a G major barre chord formed using the 6-string E-shape.
I would post a diagram but I am on my phone.

Where is the backing track for this video?

Also looking for the backing track! Another different backing track in the key of G will do of course :slight_smile:

Welcome to the Community Guus

Check out this

https://www.youtube.com/@ElevatedJamTracks/featured

If you have a look a the video list and playlist there quite a few in G and some great styles.
Enjoy.

:sunglasses: