Math07 JG Rock Songbook Project (7 out of 15) - 2 songs added 11 May

Thank you @CarlosAP for following my progress :slight_smile: I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Yes, you will enjoy adding La Grange to your list. It’s a song that make you grow in your journey.

You are right, I would actually recommend to start learning the first riff only with pick to work on your fretting hand.

At the beginning, I used that Youtube tutorial for picking. And then, after your fretting hand is familiar with the riff, you can add the hybrid picking technique (pick + fingers) that Justin shows in his lesson if you want some further challenge.

Though, I tried both version and they both sound great so it’s not mandatory.

1 Like

Great job on both of those songs, Mathieu. La Grange looked tough one and that was some finger workout. Overall you did a great job, just a few times it dropped off the beat but then hey, who hasn’t. :smiley:
In bloom was real nice. Your power chords are really coming along and boy did you look happy playing that one.

1 Like

@SgtColon Thanks Stefan for taking the time to watch the videos and write a supportive comment :slight_smile:

Yes, keeping the beat was a challenge as my first finger was not always cooperating :rofl: Some muscles that are not used often were definitely working out while doing that mini A barre chord movement + muting many times in a row. It felt like lifting weight for my first finger :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Wow Mathieu! :star_struck: I listened only to High Way to Hell and it sounds just awesome! I’ll come back here to listen to the other two on my next Rock Mood :love_you_gesture::guitar::love_you_gesture::guitar:

You sure you want to play chord melodies? You’re great with the electric guitar!

1 Like

Great job Matt! Lagrange sounds insanely difficult - sounding all those chords on the offbeats - well done.

1 Like

Superb job on both of these awesome songs Mathieu with spot on, dialled in tones to boot. La Grange really shows the power of practice and persistence :slight_smile: :+1:

:guitar: :boom:

1 Like

@SILVIA @twistor59 @Notter
Thank you Silvia, Phil and Mark for watching my progress. It means a lot to me to engage with people like you in the community :slight_smile: :partying_face:

Your 3 messages were an highlight in my day :slight_smile:

That’s a good point to think about Silvia. :thinking: :bulb:

In the last module of grade 3, Justin discuss about moving from beginner to intermediate pratice. He says : “We can’t pratice everything” and that we should focus on one genre at a time.

And it’s true that chord melodies and rock songs involve many different techniques. I may not be able to pursue both of those genres in the near future.

I started chord melodies because I wanted to be able to recognize the song without singing. But, I think that I was able to accomplish that goal in a different way with my rock songs and backing tracks.

2 Likes

Very cool Math07! It’s a nice challenge the rock songbook, and impressive how you managed the la grange riffs! The most difficult song out of the 5 you recorded, I imagine.

I have all of Justin’s songbooks (except the Aussie one), and your project inspires me to do the same :slight_smile:

Look forward to hear more songs from you, cheers!

1 Like

Mathieu that’s great work :+1: I nearly had an anxiety attack just thinking about trying that ZZ Top, man that is some great fingerwork :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by @Inge_guitar29 and @CD02. Your comments were really nice and put a smile on my face :slight_smile:

Craig, so true ! I had the same impression when I first watched Justin’s lesson. :rofl: :rofl: I feel relieved now that this song is finished :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Inge, it would be awesome if you started your own project ! It’s hard to describe, but there is definitely something going on when doing all the songs of the book one after the other. Justin put the songs in a well-though order. Every song bring something new, a challenge for sure, but still manageable. For instance, I realize that the pinky stretch that I worked with La Grange is helping me while doing the next songs Rock and Roll All Nite and There She Goes.

Since you have all of the songbooks, the next question is which one to choose haha ! They must all be great.

I think this depends much on one’s expectations, but sure progress is slowier if you practice more things…which doesn’t mean it can’t be valuable in some ways.

Here’s an example, it’s very good if you were able to find and follow your own path…as we progress and grow as musicians some creativity will naturally pop out, whether in arranging things or in the way we learn new things.

1 Like

Yeah ! My rock songbook project is progressing well. :slight_smile: 7 out of 15 done !

The next 2 songs in the book were really fun to learn and play. I’d definitely recommend them to any grade 3 students.

• Who would have thought that Rock And Roll All Nite involved many techniques from the 12 bar blues shuffle taught in grade 2 ? Such a cool song to apply those techniques in a new concept.
  • There She Goes is a really fun song to start learning lead guitar. And it also has an interesting rhythm guitar part.

I think that they were my best performances so far. So, I’m proud of my progress with the course.

Song #6: Kiss - Rock And Roll All Nite

Song #7: The La’s - There She Goes

5 Likes

Very cool project, I like it. :slight_smile:

I think you were excellent, especially impressive was that five fret section with 2-finger and 3-string power chord and pinkie stretch in RnR all nite. Your tone was good and overall very good rhythm. Well done Mathieu.

1 Like

Thank you @Boris1565 for your supportive comment, I really appreciate it🙂 You are right about that pinky, it was a difficult stretch. But, it adds a cool sound to the song.

Mathieu

Superb playing. Particulalrly liked “There She Goes”, one of the best songs ever,really well covered with excellent strumming and picking. Very enjoyable.

Brian

1 Like

Just been catching up on the latest uploads from the community after being behind with things and not checking in for a while. I enjoyed all your recent uploads and your playing is sounding really good, in particular I liked In Bloom and There She Goes (maybe because they are familiar songs to me and resonate). I thought the effects you have on In Bloom were really great, and your playing too. Glad I checked in, Susan

1 Like

@beejay56 @SusanW

Brian and Susan, thank you very much ! I’m happy that you liked the songs.

Your messages were heart-warming :slight_smile:

You rock Mathieu :love_you_gesture::guitar::love_you_gesture: Sounding soo good, your playing seems to go along the backing tracks very accurately and…ohhhh…your acoustic strumming :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck: you change your chords along the strumming me I strum along with the chords :see_no_evil: :thinking: not sure I’m expressing myself properly…anyway…you’re doing great! Thanks for the gift of some rock 'n roll to the end of my day :blush::star_struck:

1 Like

I agree it’s your best performance so far but it’s normal! You’re really getting better! :clap:

Are you just practicing songs at this point or you also keep practicing new modules of the guitar course?

1 Like

@SILVIA
I’d like to thank you for your warm message and also for a second reason. Since watching your classical guitar videos and the ones of @RadekSiechowicz , I started to enjoy that style of music more.

So, I tried something new and I went to see a classical guitar band live recently. It was a lot of fun and it’s definitely not something I would have done before because I did not know much about that style.

Also, sometimes, I find myself searching for classical guitar playlist on Youtube when I want to relax at my job. Thanks to you haha !

1 Like