Brian Larsen - September 2022 - McArthur's Park + Karma Police

Hey Brian,
All in all, a good showing there mate! But I have to wonder about one thing. If I count right, you are strumming over about the 17th fret area? Why so? Do you find the tone there to your liking? I don’t see many play in that position… Have you tried it down a bit further towards the bridge? To me it might be a bit more robust and fuller down there…

All the best,
LB

1 Like

@roger_holland You do make me laugh, meneer :rofl:
Thank you and hello to Mrs. Roger :kissing_heart:

@MiJoy You were drinking beers as a kid? Rock ‘n’ roll!
Good to see you passing on to the new generations :smiley:

@tony cheers mate. Not nearly as sceptical as I was when embarking on this quiest! :rofl:

@oldhead49 Much appreciated, Dave. I’ve been enjoying your increased presence around the new community :smiley:

@DarrellW First of all, thanks for the thumbs up :smiley:
Regarding Daphne, well she’s going through a bit of a crisis and is aging faster than she was expecting. She’s already greying…
She’s spent too long in the sun and is planning on getting some edgy ink tattoos. She’s talking about gender transition and is demanding I call her, or rather him, Icarus :roll_eyes:

@batwoman the blathering or the performance? :thinking: :rofl:

@jkahn It’s far from obscure, you’re just young! :laughing:
OM will have to be something simple, but I’d be surprised if anyone will have heard the one I have in mind. (It means folk might think it’s supposed to sound like that :laughing:)

@direvus Cheers, Brendan.
I used to struggle a lot with phrasing vocals while playing, esp. if they didn’t coincide with at least the first beat of every bar, but like with most things guitar, it becomes much easier the more you do it.
Ta for the genitive pick-up. I love those kind of details :smiley:

@SgtColon Ah yes Stefan, I did allude to the fact that it was over-ripe cheese, but in the right frame of mind, those moments can be transcendental too :innocent:
The difficulty after stripping back, is always to see if there’s a way of making it interesting again :wink:

@sairfingers Oi! What’s this? I dedicate a song to my Border-Tour-Buddy and he screws the ant?
Haha, good pickup. How did that happen? I don’t even read! :roll_eyes:
Many thanks for your generous comments, though. I love reading through all these, feeling my head swell, until I remember everyone else only says the good stuff :rofl:

4 Likes

@Socio Ta James, very generous.
Not knowing it simply means you’re still paddling in the fountain of youth… :wink:

… unlike @Malz here who was old enough to buy one :laughing:
Thank you kindly for your generous thumbs up, Sir. Much appreciated :smiley:

@LBro Thanks for the listen and approval, Brother :smiley:
When i watched the video I noticed the same thing. It is purely a lazy/comfort thing.
If I’m sitting, playing without a strap, the concave bit rests on my right thigh and unless I consciously move my hand back that’s the natural strumming area.
We live on opposite spectrums regarding the chasing of tones/sound in our productions, but I do like to understand how things could (should?) be done.
You’ve sent me down another rabbit hole with your question, which merits a thread of its own in which you shall be tagged. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m bouncing in my chair with impatience…

And??? have you already started the thread where you are going to explain how you became the most sloppy and slightly lazy rhythm guitarist in this universe?..

I think you’ve got a Joe Satriani/or Neil Young in you that needs a shake up :innocent:

Okay, I don’t know if you mean it, but I’m genuinely curious ,I myself tend to play more on the neck, … with the Ibanez a bit more logical because of the space, but with the PRS I don’t have that excuse :blush:
Greetings,…

2 Likes

I’m sure Brian answered that same question on a previous AVoYP post… :thinking:

1 Like

I prefer the term laid back :sunglasses:
Here you go

2 Likes

I never did like the original but good job on removing the kitchen sink and still keeping it recognizable.

Well Brian hasn’t posted anything for a while so clearly we know what takes majority off your youtube playlist :grinning:

Captivating as ever Brian, as a youngling I have never heard that song before but it was definitely something unexpected as far as your repertoire goes. Really nice and laid back, will be interesting to see what other cheesy song you pick :grinning: all the best!

1 Like

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

But I was actually just listening to this new song when she came home from work…really…

I’m very busy reading here and also listening to you people,…so no time to my regular you tube…playing guitar and stuff that makes several of you appear in my playlist sometimes…scary stuff when not expected :rofl: :sunglasses:
Hugs to you Adrian :smiling_face:

1 Like

@skinnyt Cheers Trevor :smiley:
First to admit to having shared some questionable taste items on our forum.
Well worth the exercise though :smiley:

@adi_mrok Thanks, man.

Excuse me! The cheese course is over.
We’re back into post-prandial depression now :smiley:

@roger_holland Hug people on your own thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ll leave that for you to decide :grin:

1 Like

I thought this was going to be a totally different and completely unrelated song - so well done on this one! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Brian, thanks for sharing a AVOYP of this song, which I’ve never heard before (although I’m not that young :flushed:). It took some bars to get into the rhythm of it, but suddenly I could feel the vibe and really enjoyed listening :hugs:.
It seems to be a very tricky song to play and especially to sing.
You did it incredibly well :grinning:.

1 Like

That was interesting, something different, Brian. In that you remain true to form, whether it is the obscure (as you said, for those for whom there is music before grunge this would be generally well known), the dark and depressing, or just something off the beaten track for you to put your spin on it.

I enjoyed your stripped version of the song and thought the vocal performance was stellar.

As for some of the other guitar related comments …

One Keef is famous for strumming up on the neck. So my 2cs worth would be that there are no rules as to where you should strum. Rule #1 applies … if it sounds good (to you) it is good.

Seeing Joe Satriani and Neil Young in the same sentence to unleash some inner guitar mojo caught me by surprise. I’d consider them to be as different as night and day.

Look forward to your OM choice and performance

2 Likes

:joy:
That depends on how hard I shake him David … :grin:

Greetings,…

2 Likes

Hello, a very enjoyable listening…I didn’t know this song, it’ s very beautiful. Can I ask whether you’re using only index while strumming or adding the other fingers too? I also strum with my fingers but I think I’m condemned to a never ending exploring phase :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Very nice cut back version Brian, entertaining as usual. Now I understand what prompted the where to strum question. And that softer tone worked well with this, Sure you could have twiddled knobs on guitar and amp but if you are happy with the outcome using this method, why change ? If it sounds good…

Look forward to the OM after your opening statement. Should I be changing the running order or will I be safe to follow you ! :rofl:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Super! tbh, I prefer your stripped back version to the over-the-top job that we hear on the radio. Great job on the vocals too, that sounds like it would be tricky to sing.

1 Like

First off, high praise for another enjoyable live performance. Well done. Nice tone from that HB guit. Dig it!

1 Like

@Mari63 Thanks Mari, I was listening to your riff uploads and loved them loads, but never got round to saying. Cool :sunglasses:

@NicoleKKB Thank you so much :smiley:
I simplified the chords a fair bit, but it still took a while to get it flowing well enough to allow myself to concentrate properly on the phrasing (timing) of the singing. Like all things guitar-related, time & practice…

@DavidP

My secret fear is that I will run out of ‘different’ :laughing:
Much appreciated, and glad to see you recovering, as evident it the growing length of your posts. I reckon you’re in the sweet spot now :rofl:
Looking forward to the OM too, although find myself easily distracted when faced with a deadline…

@SILVIA Thank you :smiley:
Yes, I never really got comfortable using a pick. I think it started because I was trying to keep my playing quiet in the beginning. I think I use 3 fingers, but mainly my index and middle.
One day the pick will be my friend :smiley:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Cheers mate :smiley:
Yes, but all academia put on hold for the moment.
Back to @Richard_close2u’s mantra for me…
Relax re OM, I’m getting mellow in my old age. I’ll be playing a bit of depression without any gimmickry :wink:

@twistor59 Cheers, Phil :smiley:
This kind of lo-fi stripped back performance lies at the opposite end of the spectrum to your technical instrumental wizardry, which I love. Hard to think it’s the same instrument/course, eh :rofl:

Ah, @CT, thanks for the listen and shout.
I’m thinking we’re due another taste of some home-grown/home-brew from sunny CA? :sunglasses:

5 Likes