Memorize Easy Songs

:+1: :guitar: :+1: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Hobart,
Justin explains song structure (intro, verse, chorus, bridge) in his video on strumming dynamics, starting around the 1:37 mark. I’ve seen you posted this several months back but I hope this helps if you haven’t gotten it sorted out.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I haven’t really pursued the issue much, but I recently completed Strumming Foundations and will be doing Strumming Dynamics soon, so I will certainly be on the lookout for that.

2 Likes

So, confession time. I have been avoiding playing any songs up until this point, because I had a frustrating first experience playing a song. I feel pretty competent on the drills I’ve been doing now and feel I can play some stuff, but I don’t know how to identify an “easy song” and I don’t feel like I typically gravitate towards “easy” songs. I grew up on prog… the simplest I got was Styx growing up. So, here’s a playlist I put together. If I can get some help on identifying some easy songs or someone choose me out a 5 from the playlist then that would be cool and very much appreciated! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking to make it past Grade 1 & finally play some music! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Anthony @Snee
Had a quick look through your list, a lot I didn’t recognise so your tastes are different to mine.
Look on the song section on the website and you can filter out grade 1 songs and hopefully there are some that interests you. There are other filters and sometimes Justin gives a simple version as well as a complex version for a song in a later grade.
By the way welcome to the community.
Michael :+1:

I think this is still relevant…

1 Like

I agree with Michael. Instead of starting out with a list of songs you would like to play and trying to find easy ones, you will have better luck starting with a list of easy songs and seeing if there is anything there that you like. Justin’s song page is the place to get a list of easy songs.

Justin has a lesson on Hey, Hey, My, My, it’s pretty easy, although it has some single note runs that might be challenging (you didn’t say what level you are at). Of course, the single note runs make the song recognizable, which is very satisfying.

Simple Man is a very simple chord progression (C - G - Am, if I remember correctly) that is fun to play along with the original. It also has some nice single note riffage that makes the song recognizable.

If you can play power chords proficiently, I think there are lots of songs on your list that are approachable (although, I also am not familiar with many of those songs). I’m thinking Offspring, BTO, maybe. Maybe some of the Alice Cooper stuff.

Oh, Zombie is also a song that is often taught at the beginner level (Justin has a tutorial). Same for Ain’t No Sunshine.

3 Likes

@MAT1953 & @jjw1 Thank you for your responses and the warm welcome. I will definitely check that out Michael… I didn’t know that was a thing. I will explore the whole site a little more.

Your right though John, I didn’t mention current skill level because I don’t really know :sweat_smile: but I can do all the chords taught in this module * A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, & G *and switch between them all above 30 in 1 minute and most of them/the average switches is 55 with the highest amount I got was 82 seated because I also do it standing for Am to Em. I was also learning some other chords F & B never tried switching between barres yet though. I got my DDUUDU strumming down comfortably and I also learned the Major Scale… I think it was…?? The scale that goes 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 I also delved into some theory and ear training but I still haven’t played a song so I’d say I’m a nerdy beginner. :joy:

I do have a feeling I can do some power chords though. I never practiced, but after looking at them they always seem like they are only 3 notes played simultaneously while the other strings remain muted or unplayed.

So, game plan is I’m going to explore the website and its songs. Then check the internet for some easy songs and see what I can find. If I can’t find anything that interests me I’m going to stick with what jj got me! I appreciate the help again fellas!

2 Likes

That’s definitely the truth! I got really frustrated though to the point I was getting heated and sweating and those 10 minutes he had allotted for me felt like an eternity and it was only about 4 minutes… lol

When I start trying to learn some songs. I’m going to break it up into like 2-5 minute segments. 10 minutes felt like to much for me.

Anthony @Snee
Do check out the website songs you will be surprised at the choice available. Playing songs is what it is all about as you will see this mantra mentioned many times in the community.
I think you need to be realistic in your choice of song, to start with, don’t get too ambitious. Not trying to put you off but there is a world of difference between OMC and a chord sequence for as song, but you seem to be at a point where you really should be playing songs. Don’t be put off by some songs that may not be your cup of tea, you are developing your skills to play the songs you really want.
Let the community know how you get on.
Michael

3 Likes

@Snee ,

Playing songs and memorizing songs are two different skills. For you, I’d strongly suggest you focus on the the first one.

When I started Justin’s lesson a couple of years ago, one of the real game changers for me in learning to play songs was the Justin Song App.

By Module 7 there are dozens of songs that are carefully chosen to be appropriate for that level. If you already know some chords, you can play along karaoke style…as slowly as you need to.

It’s the easiest entry into song playing that I know of…by far. Not free, but a 1 month subscription is only $10 - $15, so you can cancel if it’s not for you. (And there might even be a free trial period).

Ironically, it won’t help you memorize songs, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

2 Likes

Hi Anthony @Snee ,

Jolene …easy … but can also be very difficult

This is a good example which in line with what has been said by the people above me ,and there are so much more songs here… lovely song by Justin , quite easy to play along (grade 1) , but the better you get on guitar the harder you can / will do it on the guitar … before you get the riff right (grade 5?) you must have already worn out some sets of strings :smile:

Welcome here and have fun :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Impressive collection of songs :slightly_smiling_face:. If you have the App, there are easy versions of “Hey Joe” and " I won’t back down" at least.

1 Like

Thank you Nicole @JokuMuu and growing everyday! :sweat_smile: I make it a point to listen to one new album everyday!

@roger_holland Wow! Thanks for opening my ears to Dolly Parton… I always heard that song and never actually gave it a listen… that is a groove! I can definitely see myself playing that! Might also have to check out more of her stuff…

I went out and did what I said I was going to yesterday and I found the songs I think I’m going to work towards. With the aid of a website called Songsterr I used that to look at the music and if I even for a second got confused. I put it off as too complicated for right now. I also used it to listen to the guitar isolated to see if I would still like it because taking one part from a piece of music it wont always sound good by itself because you are playing a part in overall piece. So, I tried to choose songs that I like first and foremost, that also might develop some skills or techniques.

Which led me to these:

1. Hey Joe Recommended for learning the CAGED System & its Jimi :sweat_smile:

2. House of the Rising Sun for Arpeggios & 6/8 time + if I some how forget how this song goes I can just turn on the radio lol I won’t though its pretty much ingrained in my brain now

3. Ain’t No Sunshine no real studious reason I just like the song

4. Waiting for 22 arpeggios and predictable practicing switching between time signatures

5. Horse With No Name for working on my strumming

and maybe I just slide Wish You Were Here *there :shushing_face:

Others that didn’t make it but still valid are:

• Nothing Else Matters
  • Scarborough Fair
  • Dear Mr Fantasy
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday
  • Hey Hey My My
  • Jolene

So, I those are what I’m going to work on then I might do the ones that didn’t make it who knows… I will likely run through my whole playlist on songster and update it with potentially easy ones if anyone wants me too.

Lastly @MAT1953 don’t worry your not putting me off! :slightly_smiling_face: I went and checked out the site… wow everyone reading this needs to do that if they haven’t already! The strumming pattern tool is fun as heck to play around with. I will keep you guys up to date though… if I don’t forget that is! I likely will be puttin up a post in the just chatting section too just for the fun of it!

but can you explain what an OMC is?

1 Like

One Minute Changes. Justin practice routine to speed your chord changes up from early in the Beginner course. Someone will no doubt add a helpful link.

:sunglasses:

@Snee Sorry… You made me curious. You mean: One album that you had not known before? And you go through the whole thing even if it’s not good? I do something similar at work (interrupted by ringing phones colleagues of course) but I usually give up on an album I have not known before, when I have listened to the first three songs and none of them caught my attention :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep! One album I’ve never listened to before all the way through! If its something I don’t like but don’t hate either. The most popular track or title track if it has one goes in like a “background noise” or what I call the “One Mans Trash is Another Mans Treasure” Playlist because who knows you might grow to like them.

If its something I like/love I write the album and band name down on paper and put it with my songbook and learning resources. Then I put the first song or title track if it has one in my “Perfect Album” playlist.

Then I have my “Leftovertures” which I put songs from albums that I like but the album has songs I don’t like or have to many back to back “meh” songs. Similar to you though if its actively irritating to me. I will skip to the next track though. I end up having to skip a lot of Power, Death/Black, & Thrash Metal tracks because I’m not a fan of the 100% of the time max speed element of Thrash & the Vocals/Lyrics for Death/Black/Power metal. I have to at least listen to the first minute or so of all the songs because there can be some hidden gems within albums you might not otherwise like. If you stick through some of these albums you will find some gems. Example for me is Death Angels " A Room with a View" that song is coming from a Thrash album. :sweat_smile:

Thanks @TheMadman_tobyjenner should of prolly put that one together myself! lol oops.

2 Likes

Anthony @Snee

Here is the link to OMC that Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner mentioned

You will also come across other chord practice abbreviations
CP chord perfect
PFC perfect fast changes

Hope this helps

Michael

The only one in your list that I know for sure is considered for Grade 1 is Hey Joe. I saw you had some Neil Young. Cortez the Killer is considered Grade 1 and Justin has a lesson for an easy version as he also does for Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd.

And if you go to this part of the Website, you can put in the chords you want to use and up will pop songs that Justin has lessons for.

Nope, they should all be Grade 1. Maybe a tick above but, House of the Rising Sun he recommends it to you during the Grade 1 module. I mean, They all look less complicated compared to Wish You Were Here or Jolene to me…except for Nothing Else Matters but when you look online there’s not much 6/8 songs that stand out to me so I felt like including that and Waiting for 22 is a 1 minute long transition song. If I stick to the rhythm… and not do the leads it shouldn’t be a problem I would think.

I mean to me this > Waiting for 22 Tab by Queensryche | Songsterr Tabs with Rhythm
looks easier than this > Wish You Were Here Tab by Pink Floyd | Songsterr Tabs with Rhythm