Metal123 learning log

TLDR

I learned basic chords long time ago. Those are A, E, D, A min, D, min, E min, C ang G chords. I learned them with thumb on top of the neck. Justin teaches us that we should place thumb behind neck while we play basic chords to develop muscles, that we need to be able to play barre chords. I know 9 barre chords. Where should I put my thumb? He puts thumb on top of the neck. I learned traditional A chord with thumb on top.

When I discovered this web page, I learned A, E and D chords with thumb behind neck. Should I learn other 5 chords with thumb behind neck, or skip it and play them with thumb on top? it will be hard to mix first 3 chords A, E and D where thumb is behind neck, and other chords are with thumb on top.

I think Justin teaches the chords first with the thumb behind the neck and later on as the modules progress he puts the thumb over.
Iā€™m not a teacher so I canā€™t advise.
I put the thumb wherever ot feels comfortable for each chord (or chord sequence).

Maybe I should just do it like he does in videos. if he does that way in videos, it is now wrong. I will watch tutorial by other people too.

EDIT: I will repeat chord changes in first 2 modules to see how it works with thumb over .

1 Like

I still canā€™t decide where should I place my thumb when I open chords from grade 1 and probably other grades. Is there any video when Justin says when we should stop playing chords with thumb behind neck and in what module is it?

I will not give up. I will learn riffs and strum patterns from grade 1 and skip chords and songs until I figure this out.

I think thatā€™s the best way to not figure it out.

If you use the search button youā€™ll find multiple threads here about thumb position.

Hi, everybody.

Yesterday I started module 3 officially. In fact I learned 2 strum patterns from module 3, in January, when I had blister on index finger. Those are D DUD D and D DUDUD. Yesterday i started to learn new strum pattern that Justin mention in last video of module 3. It is D D DUD . I am not sure, if it is Easter egg for those that do not skip videos.

My routine for module 3 is:

1. Tune your guitar
  2. Am 1 min +
  3. Em 1 min +
  4. Technique - One Minute Changes Am to E 138 | 140
  5. Technique - One Minute Changes Em to D 144 | 148
  6. Technique - One Minute Changes Am to Em 156 | 168
  7. Technique - Anchor Finger E, A & D Chords 2min +
  8. DUDUDUDU 5min +
  9. D DUD D 5min +
  10. D DUDUD 5min +
  11. D D DUD 5 min +
  12. 7 nation 2 min + ( 4 min )
  13. song 10 min ( Ed Sheeran - Sing lasts 4:37) play it 3 times with different strum patterns. +++

It seems like that I can change chords fast. Seven nation riff is easy.

I increased amount of time for strum patterns, because I want to learn them well. Justin says that we should be able to play them at any tempo, while we talk and while we are distracted.

Is my routine for this module good? Should I change something? Should I play anything from previous modules? I play Peter Gunn theme, and two songs from previous modules.

If you can already play the chords, then I would definitely not relearn them using a different position of the thumb. Most everybody who has played for a while (except classical players and the occasional exception) plays open chords with the thumb high on the back of the neck, including Justin. This is especially true for you, since you already play barre chords.

Regarding your question about Dmin, I think itā€™s generally considered that either way (with 3rd or 4th finger) is fine.

Hi everybody. I was busy, because of it I was not active here. I have a question. I learn module 4 now. What do you keep to play from previous modules? I play songs and riffs, from previous modules. I stopped to do chord changes, from previous modules, anyways I am fast. I also play strum patterns from previous modules, I most cases with songs, sometimes with metronome.

My advice is to follow Justinā€™s practice routine for that module and then change where you need additional practice. As you progress through the course, you donā€™t need to practice every chord change you have ever learned. Justin says in one of his lesson videos (I think that it was early in Grade 2) - practice the chord changes for the songs you are practicing and love to play. You donā€™t need to practice one minute changes at 150 /minute if you can play chord changes in your songs quickly enough for the tempo of the song. As others have said, focus on the songs and have fun

Yes. I stop to do chord changes when I switch to new module. I keep to play songs and strum patterns. When I finish module 4 I will continue to play stretching.

[quote=ā€œMetal123, post:30, topic:272285ā€
When I finish module 4 I will continue to play stretching
[/quote]

I have small hands, so I have to continue with stretching even now in grade 3 :slight_smile:

Maybe get smaller guitar?

Can you compare grade 1 and grade 3?

I do less stretching exercises now. I think playing scales provides similar benefit. If you look at the discussion for the grade 1 mod 4 finger stretch lesson I have posted comments on Aug. 22 with picture of my hands :slight_smile:

Grade 3 is just a continuation of Grade 2 with other technical exercises and strumming and tsfingerstyle, but mostly information on how to practice and learn. There are also lessons on ways to modify each of the D, A, E, C and G open chords. In Grade 3 you are encouraged to create your own practice routines, but Justin provides some suggestions. There are no special lessons on rock or metal guitar, but there are a lot of song lessons on the JG website for rock songs.

Grade 2 has more focused practice routines like Grade 1 and when you finish grade 2 you will know all the open chords that you need to play grade 2 and 3 level songs. No new chords are introduced in grade 3, although barre chords are briefly mentioned near the end to prepare you for grade 4. Grade 3 is considered a bridge between beginner and early intermediate guitar, with time to work on consolidating Grade 2 knowledge. Some call
Grade 3 advancing beginner.

There is much to learn in grade 2 and I recently went back and reviewed all the lessons in grade 2 and recorded all the exercises.

Grade 1 is a 30 minute practice session.
Grade 2 is a 40 minute practice session.
Grade 3 is a suggested 60 minute practice session, but I only have 30 to 40 minutes so I divided the practice session into two 30 minute practices over 2 days. I takes me twice as long to finish the practices, but that does not bother me. If you follow Justinā€™s suggestion to spend half your practice learning to play songs, then you would need 2 hours each day. I decided to alternate a week of practice routine and a week of song practice. Iā€™ve been in Grade 3 for well over a year as you can tell from my Learning Log.

Goodluck and more power to you and your journey.

1 Like

I will start module 5 today. IN module 4 I learned song Edwin Collins- Gir like you. I will continue to play songs, strumming patterns and riffs from previous modules. I will continue to do stretching from module 4. Maybe later I will learn more songs from module 4.

I will give my opinion on module 5 as I learn and watch videos.

I module 5 I learned NIrvana - come as you are riff, it is easy.
I already knew C chord, but I did not mute 6th string, so it was C/E. And I decided to put m my middle finger closer to third string, because I want that A7min chord has clean sound, when I lift ring finger.

I learned 2 strumming patterns DU_U__D_ and DUDU_UDU. It is third video in module. I already know some rhythms. So I should learn 3 more DU_U_UD_, D_DU_U_U; and UDU_UD. I think that Justin say that we should make uor strum patterns. I will do it whe nI learn 3 more patterns.

I watched video about notes and about song book. I understand that. I already knew names of notes and what are semitome and tone.

I learn too slowly. How can I speed it up?