Metallica - One | Cover (work in progress)

Thanks Jennifer! :smiley: :+1: Really stoked you checked it out and glad you liked it :sunglasses:

Totally! Great way to work on different skills but with a clear purpose in mind, really helps with motivation to learn new techniques I think :slight_smile:

Please do!! It would be killer to see you and Dan smashing out some Metallica! :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
You have already delivered fantastic work :scream: :sunglasses: :clap:, you have shown and let heard so many good things here ā€¦againā€¦ and yes absolutely a work in process of course,
I know the song note by note by heart and the quiet parts in the beginning are still there a lot of hours of work before it runs smoothly, but Iā€™m not telling you anything new with that.
That I can still read here that people donā€™t know this song right away as one by Metallica :roll_eyes: :speak_no_evil: :sob:, one of the most (or just the most) famous metal song ever made, the song that put Metallica on the map worldwide among metal/rock fans I saw last month in a documentary ā€¦ the 3 songs that make a band / artist iconic ā€¦ it was my first hard rock song I think I heard and I was immediately hooked.

Dangerous to post such an iconic song, still far from ready, but very tough :sunglasses: :clap: :man_bowing:
Good luck with polishing because itā€™s in your head and fingers, itā€™s now ā€œonlyā€ a matter of more practice, Iā€™m already making a very deep bow to you,

Ps: and me looking which Jeff was doing the soloā€¦ :joy:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hi Rogier, great to hear from you and thanks for your kind words and encouragement! :smiley: :hugs:

You are spot on my friend! Lots of practice still needed to get that right and securely under my fingers. Also there are some many other layers that I could look to learn, Iā€™ve really only scratched the surface and still grappling just with that :sweat: :joy:

Yeah, it is right up there, perhaps Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters probably top it in widespread popularity, but it was their initial massive mainstream breakthrough. Due to the video and all that MTV airtime, many old school fans began murmuring about them selling outā€¦ little did they know what was coming next! :see_no_evil: :wink: :rofl:

Yes, I was a bit nervous about that, I wanted to put flashing lights on the ā€œwork in progressā€ disclaimer :sweat_smile: I really needed to move on for now as other things are taking priority but I had put so much time into it I had to do something with it, so a snapshot of progress seemed a good idea :wink:

Thanks again Rogier! Really appreciate it :hugs:

umā€¦ :grimacing: :see_no_evil: :joy:

1 Like

Hi,
Those other songs were treated as number 2 and number 3 in that programā€¦ Iā€™ve been looking for it for a while but canā€™t find it that quickly, and the black album contained/are very good songs, I remember the evening when the whole CD was played for the first time on Dutch radio, and there were certainly many mixed feelings, which were confirmed at the first concert after that, where I and my neighbor went to ā€¦ grown people in a neat jacket :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Work on progress was more than enough as a warningā€¦ super good to post it because the pressure and practice that entails helps you / us a lot further :sunglasses:

Greetings :sunglasses:

Edit;I do remember that Enter Sandman was made by letting the band members tell their nightmares and they used that.

1 Like

If you manage to track it down, please share it, sounds like an interesting doco to watch, Iā€™d be keen to check it out! :sunglasses: :+1:

Wow! That wouldā€™ve been an experience! I never got to see them live until about 2008, a lot of water under the Metallica bridge by then! :laughing:

Thanks again Rogier! :metal::smiley:

1 Like

That was fantastic Jeff! I would be very happy with where you are. Sounding great and as always I am impressed with your technique. Really great listen and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks Eddie! Yes, despite some of what I said above :sweat_smile:, I am happy to get to this point, of course much more to learn but certainly pleased to have got this far :slight_smile:
Thanks so much for checking this out and for your kind words mate, super appreciate it! :metal: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Man, that was great! Iā€™m impressed! :clap:

1 Like

Not much I can add to what others have said other than good job man :clap::clap::clap::clap: If i can play a fraction of that someday then Iā€™ll be very happy indeed

I think one thing that can be misunderstood about metal is that itā€™s harder than people think to make a lot of noise AND sound good AND be able to play it again and again consistently!

One of my practice routines at the moment is playing power chords to a metronome but itā€™s a lot more fun with the amp turned up and lashings of fuzz :joy:

For me this album is quite significant because it was just out as I was starting to get into metal at the end of the 80s so Iā€™ve listened to it A LOT!!! Itā€™s somewhat scary to think that itā€™s 35 years since it was released :scream:

1 Like

Oh yes :guitar: :notes:! Unfortunately others in my house disagreeā€¦but I get a big smile on my face, playing ffw a few years, maybe my grandchildren answer the question from their friends: ā€œWhat kind of noise is that?ā€ with: ā€œOh, thatā€™s my grandmother, playing the soul out of her guitar :heart_eyes:!ā€

I completely underestimated how difficult it is to use them in songs and to speed them up for being able to play songs :joy:. And donā€™t talk about the speed needed to play lead. I reckon, Iā€™ll never get there in my life anymoreā€¦so hats off for everyone being capable to get there :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Rob_K & @mattswain! Really appreciate you guys checking this out and for your kind words! :metal::smiley:

Hell yeahs it is! Good stuff Matt! :metal:

:exploding_head: Thatā€™s so nuts eh! :crazy_face::sweat_smile:

This! Yes! Love it! :heart_eyes::metal::smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Jeff, this One is part of those very few Metallica 'songs I know :sunglasses::guitar::roll_eyes: It seems to me youā€™re doing an amazing job as it sounds great! As you can imagine I wouldnā€™t be able to say how youā€™ll improve it but I was happy to read youā€™re overall happy with it, this is for sure something to be proud of! I also enjoyed the production of the video, it seems so difficult to synch the audios, are you using any particular software or app? Bravo! :clap::clap::clap::blush:

1 Like

Hi Silvia :wave::smiley: Thanks so much for checking this out and for your kind words! :pray::hugs:

Yes, Iā€™m doing all the post-production in DaVinci Resolve, using the free version of this video editing software from Blackmagic. From my research, this is the best free editor out there, in fact it was originally recommended to me from our Media Production techs at the university I work at. Iā€™ve found it great and certainly makes putting together more complex productions much easier. If youā€™ve worked with Adobe Premier or, say, OpenShot, then the learning curve wonā€™t be too difficult. Otherwise there are good help videos on their website or YouTube. In saying that, I enjoy this sort of stuff and like spending time learning it, however could imagine others finding it unnecessary time away from the guitar! :joy:

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

Great job.
Tallica at their classic best - and an awesome live song.
Absolutely nailed the bridge into the solo. Great stamina. Makes you appreciate how these guys keep it going for an whole gig.
Air drumming was going 10 to the dozen.

Iā€™ll bite David. :slight_smile:
ā€œJK, Iā€™m sure you are right and as equally sure many would say One is one of U2ā€™s best songs and better than all but a few of Metallicaā€™s songs, those being their best songs off that Black Album ā€¦ā€
:astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

One of U2s best songs - for sure.
Better than all but a few Tallica songs - define few. Lol. Wouldnā€™t even get inside 'Tallicaā€™s top 20. :slight_smile:

Jeff - Awesome.

Digger

1 Like

Great job on this one! You are pretty much aware of things that need working on so well on this. Plus, thank you for inspiring me to return to this one and try to fully learn it after a decade (or maybe even 15 years)!

PS:
If you get a chance, go and see Metallica live. They are on fire! And their new album is made to be played live in my opinion. ā€œOneā€ is also one of the best songs to show how well Jamesā€™ vocal aged.

Thanks so much @Digger72 & @glpguitar!! Super appreciate you guys checking this out!

Yeah, thatā€™s nuts eh?! Forearms of steel! :muscle:

Excellent! :metal: :metal: :metal:

Defintely! :wink: :sweat_smile:

Thatā€™s awesome! Stoked to hear that! :metal:

Rad! Soooooo jealous youā€™ve seen them playing recently and got to hear their new stuff live! Agreed, I think it would be much better hearing those tracks live than the polished album version. I have my fingers crossed that they come back to NZ some time soon, would love to see them live again. Last time was back in 2008 (front row standing right beneath the stage - it was epic! :metal:). I did have a top tier ticket to see them again in 2019 but it got cancelled as James had to go back to rehab :roll_eyes: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

STRUTH JEFF! Man that was awesome. You certainly owned this one. It is so impressive watching you play and you always seem to go balls deep and pick a long song as well.

He put some acoustic in there Mr P, what more must a man do, sing as well? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks Stefan!!! :smiley: This is a tricky one for sure and plenty still to get right, but stoked to get this far and super fun song to play! :metal: :sunglasses: Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for checking it out! :smiling_face:

:joy: Yep that was literally my token acoustic part just for David! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, I donā€™t find it to be unnecessary, on the contrary I would like to be better at production and Iā€™m taking a note of this to check it out when Iā€™ll finally decide to spend some time on itā€¦and Iā€™m very happy itā€™s free, as I wouldnā€™t spend money for it becauseā€¦guess what?.. I want to buy a new guitar :star_struck::joy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s great, Silvia, Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t be disappointed with the software, it really is fantastic :sunglasses:

ā€¦And saving money for THIS is definitely the priority!!! Wooohoooo!! :guitar: :metal: :smiley: :+1:

1 Like