Midjourney crisis - nothing works good

Two more comments, because I am like thatā€¦:roll_eyes:

1. I also want to play fingerstyle and classical guitar. However, after working at that quite a bit, I realized that I needed to go back and learn strumming and strummed songs better. Not only do I need the rhythm basics strumming teaches in order to play fingerstyle (and classical too) I needed some less complicated successes to bolster my sense of achievement.

2. Guitars are cheaper than carsā€¦

3 Likes

I am seconding this too. I had a fingerstyle phase with YT channels like SixString. But, in the end, it did lower my motivation because even the easy lead melody arrangements takes a lot of time to master at our level. It did not feel as fun as I thought given all the time that I had to invest. I had way more fun sticking with Justin Songs which are more about rhythm guitar (chords or fingerstyle) as itā€™s closer to the skills that we learn in the course. Itā€™s not like starting over something new, itā€™s a continuity.

2 Likes

To add againā€¦

It also is easier to learn rhythm and timing with strumming and chord structures than it is to learn it while trying to learn fingerstyle, especially if it isnā€™t a simple, repetitive picking pattern.

Rhythm and timing is important. Possibly the most important.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s been it for me. After you get a few songs in your pocket, add some variety. Many use the ā€œold faithfulā€ strum pattern D D u u D u. Introduce some new strumming patterns/rhythms or start some fingerstyle.

Justin has an excellent lesson on thumb and finger technique that gave me a great strum with a back beat that just suits certain songs.

I canā€™t remember where I heard this, but I think itā€™s very wise:

ā€œDonā€™t compare yourself to other players. Compare yourself to the player you were a year agoā€

Also, learning guitar is not a linear processā€¦it often proceeds in fits and starts, with long plateaus, and sudden jumps to the next level.

Iā€™ve had many periods of frustration. But I have come to realize that this is often a prelude to a jump to the next level of playing. You kinda have to just tough it out.

2 Likes

Hello Michael,

A lot of great info here already, as youā€™d expect from this great community.
A couple of things, if I may.

1. I think its a good idea to change it up for bit; take a break from the strict JG lesson format, as youā€™ve intimated. It may be the circuit breaker you need. As others have said, find a few songs you like, and have a go at them, without any pressure.

2. Eventually, I think its always a good idea to do a thorough and honest review of your weaknesses, and strengths, being very specific about both. That way, you can seek, find, experiment with practice routines that attack those weaknesses with laser like focus.

3. Along the lines of @Jamolay input.
    Iā€™ve always seen learning, of any type, as a journey from initial knowledge to full competency. The knowledge part is at the lowest level. It is the fun part - novel, often exciting and stimulating, often full of wonder. The move towards competency is the hard part; bringing that knowledge together and expressing it creatively on the guitar. Itā€™s often littered with frustration, temporary failures, trial and error etc. It has to be. But itā€™s also filled with much joy, progress, fulfillment.
    I thinks that itā€™s consistently finding the joy in the second part of the journey that keeps you going.

All the best.

Cheers, Shane

5 Likes

Just a little update:

I took a day so I can have a look on guitars and some stylesā€¦ also I go keyboard Yamaha at home, but I am too lazy for that now. :smiley:

I checked some Furch Little Jane and I really like it, but maybe some dayā€¦ this is not the way for me.

I checked fingerstyle and thats good, but they all offer only intros and if you want play whole song it is really complex and hard. So this is not the way too.

I checked country style and I pretty like it with lot of hammer ons, but I checked few songs and they just dont touch my heart how I would like to. So this is not the way right now tooā€¦

You know since primary school my main and favorite band is Simple Plan. The only band I have been on concert live 3 times. I am not doing this things, but this is really something. I know almost every lyrics from them, I got their vinyl, picks, hoodieā€¦ well I checked YouTube for some tutorials and found ā€œSimple Plan - perfect by DocOtepā€ and thats something I am working on now. Just mutted strings and learning pattern with JG Time Trainer - I am using this app few months and I was really sceptical before buy, but for few bucksā€¦ this is really great and my little helper while I tap my foot. But back to that Simple Planā€¦ I really like strumming and chord progression, only one bad here is Bm, but to me it looks like F chord only one line higher, so I got also something to work on also with my barrĆ©.
I am gonna share with you few pictures because I am feeling happy a interested now.
Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s also a Rut Buster module over on the website, you might find some good ideas in there too:

1 Like

I think youā€™ve also got to bear in mind that the likes of the song lessons done by Six Strings is aimed at a playing level similar to his course structures. A bit like how Justin teaches you how to play some chords and strumming patterns and gives you some suggested songs.

1 Like

Yes, SixString fingerpicking course and song lessons definitely seems great. I might do this course or the one from Joe Robinson in 2 years when I have achieved my current JustinGuitar goals (blues and rock). I now focus on one course/genre at a time as Justin says in grade 3. :slightly_smiling_face:

Itā€™s great to see that Careta is having fun with his Simple Plan songs. :smile: Itā€™s a great band !

1 Like