Minor Keys

But what if you're feeling sad?

View the full lesson at Minor Keys | JustinGuitar

Wow that explains the progression of the Song Green Onions by Booker T and the Mg’s which I learned on the organ a few months back F - Ab - Bb then Bb - Db - Eb then C - Eb - F. I was saying what progression is this. Thanks J!!!

1 Like

John, I am a little puzzled by your post. Green Onions is a 12-bar in F using chords F, Bb and C. All major chords. You’ve posted in a topic on minor keys. :confused:

1 Like

When learning chord progressions using degrees, most of the lessons and songs on the site deal with the major keys (I, V, iv, IV progressions etc.).
Many (most?) of the songs I am drawn to are in minor keys, and so far, I have not bothered to ‘retrain’ my brain to relabel the 1-chord as such and continue to think of it as simply the iv.
Am I creating problems for the future by doing this, just in case I ever get better?
Are there any other lazy learners like me? :rofl:

1 Like

Interesting topic Brian. I love me a good theory discussion :nerd_face:
I’m a little confused about the following however;

Are you talking about 2 parallel keys eg. C Major vs.C minor
Or
2 relative keys eg. C Major v A minor?
Or did you mean vi?

Either way, not sure what you mean by the iv of the Major? , becoming the I of the minor?

For what it’s worth, key-wise, I always relate everything back to the Major scale.
So a minor scale is just a b3,b6,b7.

For Nashville style labelling minor/ major chord progressions, I ‘see’ minor and major as distinct, because I’m ‘thinking’ about their function in the progression.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Cheers, Shane
Yes, I could have expressed myself more clearly.
If I’m playing, say the Axis of Awesome’s 4-chord progression, in C major, that’s C, G, a, F , or I, V, iv, IV
Now, if I use those exact same chords (in a different order) the key of A minor (the relative minor to C), let’s say a, C, F, G , my understanding is that the chord progression has now become i, III, VI, VII in the key of A minor.
My lazy brain prefers to simply think of it as iv, I, IV, V, keeping the same labels for the chords within the circle of 5th ‘group of six’, irrespective of whether it’s a major or minor key.
Am I overthinking this or even worse, completely mistaken? :thinking:
I’m not too far gone to change direction if necessary :laughing:

1 Like

NB iv should be vi

Interesting question.

Here is a wheely-thing for major and relative minor, where each could be considered as the start point.

Major

I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii

Minor

i, ii, III, iv, v, VI, VII

Note that I like to use upper and lower case. Justin tends not to do this in his lesson notes.

And many of them have borrowed chords also. Notating your borrowed chords using Roman numerals will be more correct and appropriate and understandable if you count from the tonic minor chords as i instead of vi.
It depends if you are going to be communicating your progressions to other musicians too. If your chord progressions are written just for you they only need to make sense to you.

1 Like

Thanks Richard
(after posting, I wondered if I should edit and tag you, but you saved me the trouble :laughing:)
That all makes sense.
Argh! Yes, Roman numeral typos! :roll_eyes: I bet the maths teacher in you is happy we switched to Arabic numerals, eh?
I’m happy with the circle thingy and more importantly the Co5 (I won’t even question the vii in major keys :wink:) I’m with you on case-sensitivity.
Tbh, I don’t ever write down chord progression numbers, but was wondering if it would make life harder for me later on.
The only musician I ‘communicate’ with really, is Chris, and he quite rightly never listens to a word I say. He just says ‘send me the original’ and throws his eyes to heaven, whenever I change the key :rofl:

1 Like

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 9.06.23 pm

I think that should be III @Richard_close2u

2 Likes

Hoisted :rofl:

1 Like

Nothing to see here, move along, move along haha :wink:

2 Likes

I like your wheel-thingy diagram, but am confused by how diminished chords fit in for minor keys (makes sense for major keys)

1 Like

They are the ‘two’ chord and are still largely ignored / not played in minor keys.

Ok, is this correct?

Major

I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, viiDim

Minor

i, iiDim, III, iv, v, VI, VII

Yes. You obtain the minor key chords by taking the major scale chords in order, but starting with vi. Then you renumber them starting at one (i).

1 Like

Yes. Ideally, the diminished has a superscript circle (letter o) after it but if that formatting isn’t immediately available the abbreviation dim is used. I didn’t write it in either of my lists by choice to keep only Roman nu erals knowing it was shown in words on my diagram.

1 Like

All makes sense now that iv - vi typo is clarified.
I suppose then, just reiterating, I see the minor/ major in its own ‘format’.

eg. C Major is the I chord in the key of C, but it’s the III chord in the key of Am.

Importantly, for my brain at least, this framework properly reflects the function of each chord in the keys progression. And it becomes even moreso as things get trickier as you start extending and/ or modifying chords.

But, in the end, I suppose its whatever continues to work for someone.

Cheers, Shane