MissMohawk's Learning Log

Grade1 Module 0
Not skipping the basics, assuming nothing and following all the lessons.

I don’t know who is controlling my ring finger but it certainly isn’t me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
My first attempt at the D chord, my fingers were muting the other strings

Cutting my nails short helped a lot to get each string individually.

I have an odd default way of holding the pick, between my index finger and my thumb, not sure if this is a problem or not but I will be trying to correct it to the way shown in the video.

I am sure this will all develop with practice, like when you first start typing and have to look at the keyboard and then all of a sudden one day you are looking at the screen while you type without looking down.

8 Likes

When I looked at the first pictures I was going to comment on the length of you fingernails but then I read you already cut them.
Try and keep your thumb behind the neck more. Justin explains why at the 5:10 mark of the lesson video. The first step of your journey has started good luck enjoy the journey.

3 Likes

I remember my eyes being glued to the fretboard when I was beginning. I intently watched a guitar player then at a local performance and was amazed to notice he hardly ever looked at the fretboard. When typing I never look at my fingers, but then they always go to the same place for the same letter, whereas on the fretboard I now can play many of my songs without looking but there are also songs where I still have to peak. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slow and steady is the way, Jess. Good to see you asking questions, working things out, both will support your learning. Very helpful to post the pictures. Have fun!

1 Like

Dolly Parton seems to manage with enormous talons! :smile:

3 Likes

:joy::joy: I don’t know how.

@MissMohawk
Because she mostly plays using open tuning and does mostly short barrés, makes it a lot easier for her!

2 Likes

I’m having to train myself to change the position of my fretting hand. I find the default position results in my fingers laying flat across the strings and muting strings a bit like you describe. I need to roll my hand further under (away from me) so my fingers can come more vertically onto the strings. Having tried and failed before I 100% agree with your approach, even the seemingly simple things have little nuances to them that will be a lot harder to correct in 6 months time once a habit has become embedded

2 Likes

Did the 1 minute chord changes today for A and D chords. Got 24 today. A marked improvement from 10 the last time.

Need to practice being able to do it with a better posture, I’m hunched over the guitar trying to look at what I’m doing.

Looking forward to getting better at it and starting the song practice during the week hopefully. :blush:

5 Likes

Thats a good improvement. I remember managing just 8 A to D at first and thinking I will never get to 60 but I did, eventually. I found trying to play a song helped speed things up for me although I never figured out why.

1 Like

It was exactly the same with me at the very beginning. But after getting some back ache from this bad posture, I quickly changed it into a more back friendly one :wink:.

1 Like

Hi Jess, Once the muscle memory kicks in you will no longer need to look over the guitar. I did the same thing at the beginning. If you can play in front of a mirror until that happens you can also see where your fingers are going. Don’t worry about the rate of chord changes, as when I started off I can remember thinking that 60 a minute is just crazy talk but it happens faster than you might think.

3 Likes

I’m finding it hard to find the time to keep up with the forum.

I’m aiming for 20 minutes practice 4 times a week. Yesterday (or Monday, I can’t remember) I tried to play along with one of the beginner songs with just the A and D chord and I hadn’t a hope. Tried again today and managed about 2 minutes of it, was so happy with myself :joy: . It wasn’t perfect but it was fun.

4 Likes

Nice one Jess! I couldn’t manage 20 minutes a day when I started . Small bits of progress to build on is the way to go as you will build strong foundations.
You will find that once you get comfortable with the first set of chord changes that the next ones will be easier and you will notice increased progress.

2 Likes

Well done Jess! I’ve lost count of the number of days where things just don’t work, like fingers can’t move and strumming may as well be using a leg of ham instead of a pick!! And yet the following day it all clicks and the joy immediately fills you.

Endure the bad days and the goods will feel even more awesome!

1 Like

Hi Jess, do not worry too much about not being able to participate as much as you would like in the forum. It is an extra benefit of Justin Guitar Lessons bur everyone has different time availability for that. About your practice time if you can stick to those 20 minutes four times a week you’ll see progress sooner than later. Everyone struggles at the beginning. For me just being able too keep a steady 1, 2, 3 rhythm was a big challenge when I started my guitar playing learning long time ago.

1 Like