Module 13 Practice

Hey Stuart,

Yep, you’re right, scales are particular notes played one after the other, in various ways.
But we also want to play more than one note at the same time, because they sound good together. Hence we get chords, by combining some of these notes. Logic suggests we combine these single notes in the scale to get these chords.

On the 3rd fret, play the G Major scale, then play a G barre chord. Can you see how that G chord sits right over that scale? The notes you’re playing in that G chord, are the exact same notes inside that G major scale.

Of course, you can play a G chord, any chord, in lots of different ways and in different parts of the fretboard. The above just highlights that a chord comes into existence directly from the scale.

Cheers, Shane

I get that but had never got the relationship between scales and chords. Not sure this is really covered in the beginners courses.

Going to have to take your word for that as the G Major scale and the G barre chord are not covered in the beginners courses. saying that I do know and can play the G barre chord. Will try and find details of the G Major scale.

Just down a search and JG doesn’t have this on his site!

Sorry Stuart. Perhaps not a good way for me to explain it. As you move through the lessons, it’ll probably become clearer.

All the best.
Cheers, Shane

Definitely the best lesson so far! Starting to get into some really good stuff!!

Thanks all!

1 Like