Module 5 Practice

@dailin

You should now know how to play these chords:

A, C, D, E

Am, Dm, Em

Go to the songs page and use the filter system - click on Grade 1 for 108 songs:

There are thousands more using these chords out in the wilds and if you follow your tastes I’m sure you could find tutorials on the interweb somewhere.

Cheers
Richard

1 Like

It’s a very useful if you manage to mute the 6th string. As strumming will become faster, it will become more difficult to not hitting the low E string.
Well, that’s the theory - I have to admit, that I’m not able to mute it when playing the C chord :face_with_peeking_eye:. I’ve been trying it for months, and it’s still impossible to me. Therefore, I try to work on my strumming accuracy, instead.
Later on in this journey, we will learn to mute the 6th string with the thumb of the fretting hand. Hopefully, things will get easier then :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

To be able to deliberatly mute strings is a great skill, and it’s definitely worth trying and practicing it. But if you get the impression, that it’s not possible for you right now, move on. You always can come back to it and try it later on in your journey.
If I hadn’t moved on, I would still be stuck at module 5 due to my inability to mute the low E string when playing the C chord :see_no_evil: . Interestingly, I can mute it when playing the Cadd9 chord :smiley:.

1 Like

For the OMC C to Em drill, when playing the Em, should I switch my fingers, to how Justin originally showed the Em, or leave my 2nd finger on the 4th string and my 3rd finger on the 5th string? The latter seems a lot easier for the chord change, but is a bit different from how we were shown the Em.

Unfortunately he doesn’t show this chord change in the video. Thoughts?

1 Like

Hello @scottyja and welcome to the community.
Definitely continue using the fingering that was taught for Em. Yes it involves a switch around and no anchor but that is how it is sometimes - most of the time even. The benefits of doing so are many further along.
Cheers
Richard

Good to know, I’ll keep at it. C chord has been a pain so far, but practice is helping. I’m sure I’ll get the finger switch-up eventually too. Cheers!

1 Like

Hello.

While practicing songs for this lesson i have noted to big issues with my playing.

Im practicing Get Lucky by Daft Punk, which is a song at 113BPM and a chord progression of Am-C-Em-D

So my first big issue that i have notice is that if I try to do a more complex strumming pattern than a simple D-D-D-D i always end up rushing. I try using D-DUDUD and with D-DU-UD and with both i end up rushing ahead of beat after 2 or 3 bars.
I tried keeeping the beat with my foot, i have tried to keep the beat by loudly counting the beats, i have try keeping up by using an isolated metronome but i always end up rushing ahead.

Is honestly Fing annoying, and im starting to think that something is just wrong with my brain.

The other issue i have notice is that i always seem to be late on my Em to D change during the song. And i have identified that the reason is that when changing from Em to D, i put my Index and Middle finger down at the same time, and then i put my Ring finger on place a second later, which results in me missing a beat (or playing a beat with only 2 out of 3 fingers of the D chord in place).

How do i change this? I been trying to learn how to put all 3 fingers down at the same time but i cant, for some reason i always put two first and then the third.

1 Like

Medu @Medusaurio

First of all welcome to the community :+1:

What you describe is all too familiar to all of us beginners that have passed through grade 1.
Don’t be put off just keep practicing it will come. Perhaps don’t try too complicated strumming patterns at first, try just DDDD.
Putting all fingers down at the same time again is one that comes with practice, no magic formula.
Michael🎸

3 Likes

Thank you Micheal! :smiley:
I will keep at it.

2 Likes

Hi @Medusaurio

Regarding strumming. How do you go with muted strings? Trying different strumming patterns with a metronome and muted strings might be one way to practise.

If you have the D-D-D-D down pat that’s a good start. Next up could be DUDUDUDU and maybe the next easiest one if D-DU-D-DU

With the D-chord. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Back in the day I would often play the D Chord with just the two fingers on beat one before putting the third finger down for beats 2,3 and 4 and I think it still sounded mostly right. You obviously don’t want it to became a habit but for now I would say getting the beat down and keeping the hand moving is more important.

2 Likes

is it really necessary to be practicing these stuff for a week (minimum) or more? i personally do these exercises once or twice a day and move into the next module and if i felt like i forgot something or my playing is becoming worse i just get back to the old videos but i feel like i should be giving it more practice.

1 Like

Hey Justin, just subscribed to the Tabs, they help so much, thank you :slight_smile: Could you please add Daft Punk - Get Lucky to the tabs?

1 Like

Check this out: How To Play The D Chord - #69 by Richard_close2u

That is not surprising.
Get Lucky is a 16th strumming pattern and there are really important accented strums that do not necessarily happen on the 1, 2, 3 or 4. Unless your groove and rhythm are rock solid, trying to throw a counter-rhythm pattern over this will prove difficult.