Moving Between Scale Patterns

Learn how to choose which Major Scale pattern to play and the best way of switching between patterns.

View the full lesson at Moving Between Scale Patterns | JustinGuitar

hi do the patterns for every other major scale follow the same shapes?

Yes. Using the CAGED system there are 5 pattern. Each pattern
is movable, the Root note determines the scales name.

Should I be able to play pattern 1 with confidence without looking at my fretting before I attempt to learn pattern 2? I am able to play it well while watching my fretting hand but it all goes south when I try it without looking. Is this something that develops over time or should I be focusing on this now before moving on?

Itā€™s more important to be able to use the scale to play solos
Before learning pattern 2.
If you canā€™t use pattern 1 to make music learning pattern 2 wonā€™t
make you a better player.

The only why to stop looking at your hands is to practice not
looking at your hand. You play the way you practice.

1 Like

Hello @Jenrm125 and welcome to the community.

As @stitch says, do not think of leaving pattern 1 behind unless you have learned to use it meaningfully, musically. You want to get it working for you immediately as a tool to create and be musical. You need to avoid learning multiple scale patterns if they are only patterns that your fingers can walk yet you have no idea what they are for.
Watch this for insight to this advice: When NOT To Learn Scales... | JustinGuitar.com

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your thoughts. :slight_smile: Yes, I understand the importance of being able to use the scales musically. I am currently able to do so and enjoy it very much, but only while watching my fretting hand. Iā€™ve decided to take a step back though and start practicing pattern 1 without looking. Iā€™m able to do it but very slowly. Iā€™m thinking I just need to break the bad habit Iā€™ve formed of watching my fretting while I play.

2 Likes

Is there also a minor scale maestro course ?

Not as such.
There are sections about the minor scale (note, there are several minor scales) in the modes & scales sub-section and also in the theory lessons.

Cheers :slight_smile:
Richard

Thanks for another fantastic lesson! Just wanted to note I believe there is a typo in the written description for the lesson, under ā€œ1 - Restrict To Be Freeā€, it sayā€™s ā€˜Bar farā€™ where I think it should say ā€˜By farā€™. Cheers!

Does anyone know the sequence of notes for the tune that Justin is playing in the G major scale on string 4?

Iā€™m pretty visual so I created this color-coded fretboard diagram using Neck Diagrams to help me understand this lesson.

FYI, you missed one note in pattern 1. Low E string, 2nd fret, fretted with 1st finger. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for taking a look at my Pattern 1 and 2 scale. Please see Justinā€™s ā€œHow to Play Pattern 1 of Major Scalesā€ video beginning at 5:05 where he shows the full pattern. The note you mentioned isnā€™t part of the pattern.

You may have been looking at the portion of the same video beginning at 10:32 where Justin shows the relationship of the G major barre chord to Major Scale Pattern 1, with the former including the note you mentioned.

@rklein
Fast-Eddy is correct the note you are missing is the 7th of the scale. This is from Justinā€™s lesson on the major scale at 7:50 he explains why that note is part of the pattern

1 Like

OK Fast-Eddie and Stitch, I eat crow on this one. I was thrown off by Justinā€™s Major Scale Pattern 1 lesson in which (a) Justin said that all of the 5 patterns have 16 notes, (b) the majority of the lesson showed Pattern 1 without the F# on the 6th string, (c) it wasnā€™t until 7:40 of the lesson that Justin added the F# on the 6th string, which was the 17th note, and (d) Justin stated that the F# (17th note) is only played when you descend the pattern so that you go as low as you can to enable you to finish on the root note, i.e., G, on the 6th string. I re-posted the neck diagram which includes the missing note in Pattern 1. I canā€™t slip anything by you guys!

1 Like