Moving on

Hi guys
I think, without checking🤔 Justin recommended before moving on that I should memorize 5 songs strong textDoes that mean be able to sing them as well?

3 Likes

Hi Vincent, I take it you’re talking grade 1?

Regardless, no it’s not about singing with them, unless you want to that is! Just be able to memorise them to play is your goal here.

All the best!

3 Likes

Hi Vincent,
Because sometimes an extra confirmation is nice ,so I say “what Mark says”

Thank the earth that is not necessary, otherwise I would still be in grade 1 after almost 3 years :sweat_smile:
Greetings and have fun :sunglasses:
Rogier

5 Likes

If singing were a requirement I would have been run out of town (at least my house) long ago!

4 Likes

Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly!! I’m using Justin’s app., finding it to be incredibly helpful. I really like the tutorials and more so the recommended songs for each lesson. The only problem I have at times is the graphics on the screen are a measure or two behind how the song plays. That’s a bit frustrating but I’m dealing with it.
I very happy to hear that I don’t need to be able to sing along to move along. It’s taken me about a month to be able to sing and play one song. I can much more easily play along with many songs as long as I keep my mouth shut :shushing_face:.
Thanks again.

4 Likes

Oh, in that case I say start singing along … that would be 12 songs a year and that with so many songs is a repertoire that many a guitar player would be jealous of, so let yourself progress with lessons don’t hold back if your not sing with all 5, but sing and play as much as you can… :sunglasses:
I absolutely have to take lessons before I put my vocal cords to work like that, otherwise my wife will kick me out with a wheel clamp :hear_no_evil: (and I can’t hear it myself :blush:)
Greetings

4 Likes

Perhaps I was misleading, it’s taken me a month to learn and sing just one song. I can play along with the guitar with several songs, not great but I get better each day. I’m hoping the better guitarist I become the easier it will all be. This is definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever done!!

2 Likes

Vincent

Just remember its JustinGuitar not JustinSings. It took me many years to be able to sing while playing. Focus on the playing for now. However, this will explain why it is not as easy as you may think it is !

4 Likes

I’d say it depends on your goals. If your goal is to sing and play, just like playing, the more you sing and play, the better at it you’ll get. Since you can sing one song, regardless of how long that took you, I’d encourage you to keep singing and playing as your singing will improve the more you do it.

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Do you all know if there’s an app that singles out one instrument like the rhythm guitar?

1 Like

Hi @Feefee ,
To me, if you are learning to play the guitar, singing the song properly, paves the way to playing the guitar properly.
In the beginning, as you are naturally lagging behind in guitar playing, your singing along forces you to play the guitar “catch up” .
As you are able to play the guitar and your chord changes gets proficient, the beat and the tempo of the song is driven by your singing.
Great topic.
Sing it!!!
Rene

4 Likes

This makes a lot of sense!! Thank you.

2 Likes

Agree. It would have been an Anne Boleyn scenario here. “Uh, there goes the cat under the car tyres again”

:thinking: not really sure what that means.

Sorry darl. I was replying to Jamolay’s comment and his neighbours running him out had he tried singing. My singing would be the same. I’d be hung up and torched by my neighbours also if I tried singing.

:+1::+1: gotchya

1 Like