Music Production Introduction

This course is designed to get you from no knowledge of music production to finishing your first song. In this video we check out the song we're going to create together.

View the full lesson at Music Production Introduction | JustinGuitar

Hello everyone who reads this… now that i bump into this so i’m going to buy some stuff, watch more videos, invest a lot of time and hopefully have a lot of fun…
I want to buy …Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen 8-in, 6-out USB audio interface,
Does anyone have a tip about good boxes, not too big, but of a good quality ? i read about
studio monitor…active…bluetooth ( better not do that, since bluethooth headphones are also not recommended)…
Thanks in advance for thinking if anyone post a tip…
Have a wonderfull weekend and be careful with yourself and others, :champagne: :beverage_box:
greetings, Rogier

1 Like

Hi Roger,
In general, all decent studio monitors these days are active. Active means they have the amplification built in so you don’t need a separate amp, you can just plug them straight into the output of your audio interface.

The big advantage of active monitors, other than not needing a separate amp, is that the amplifier section can be closely matched to the speaker and cabinet, to optimize the sound quality. In fact many active monitors these days will have multiple amplifiers in them driving separate speakers (e.g. an amp for the woofers, and a separate amp for the tweeters) to give the best quality.

As for recommendations, I’ve not used them myself, but I hear good things about the Adam Audio monitors.

As for Bluetooth, there’s nothing inherently wrong with getting monitors with built-in Bluetooth as long as that’s in addition to the normal wired connection to your audio interface. This will let you, for instance, stream music to them from your smartphone; it won’t be the best quality but for that purpose it’s fine. As long as you aren’t using the Bluetooth for music mixing/production or monitoring, which is a bad idea.

But, realistically, there aren’t many quality studio monitors that include Bluetooth capability, so be wary of any which claim to be “monitors” which have Bluetooth.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi Keith,
Thank you for this answer,… is very clear and will speed up my search enormously.
About the bluetooth ,…I now almost want to have bluetooth because of your explanation, :blush: … but I listen to music.youtube via the laptop, so that is not necessary…
Thanks again ,greetings,
Rogier

I’m using Yamaha HS8 studio monitors; they sound great. Since you said “not too big” you might look at some of the smaller monitors in the HS line. I think they go down to 5 inches or so. (And you could always add a subwoofer if you wanted better low end.)

1 Like

Roger, I have the Yamaha HS5 monitors and they sound good to me.

I assume you have a good reason for wanting that number of inputs and outputs.

1 Like

Hi J.W.C,
That looks good, and a good idea to also look at a subwoofer with a small type of speakers… I’m a big fan of good speakers…whith a nice bass.
Thanks ,greetings Rogier

:joy:
Hello DavidP…Uhh…well …the point is…
…I guess not

[quote="DavidP,
I assume you have a good reason for wanting that number of inputs and outputs.

I thought, because it said “even better technology, new generation, more possibilities etc”
and with being able to do more…I didn’t think of just connecting more things…
But because of your subtle addition… I understand that I should just go for the simple implementation (the 2i2) …did i get that right ?
Greetings ,Rogier

Well, as Yngwie says, “more is more.” :slight_smile:

If your budget allows, I think it can make sense to get an interface with more inputs. In my experience, you always end up wanting and using more inputs than you might initially think. For example, I often use three inputs when mic’ing a single acoustic guitar (two mics and the internal pickup). And the price difference between a Scarlett 4i4 and 8i6 is only $60 or so.

I’d say a bare minimum is 2 inputs, with 4 being better. When you get into the 8+ range it’s mainly useful for situations where you are recording multiple instruments/musicians performing at the same time. Or maybe if you’re mic’ing a drum kit.

Rogier,

I would say think about your current need and then imagine possible future requirements. And then combine that with budget considerations.

For me a 2i2 has worked fine nearly all of the time. Every once in a while, my wife joins me and then I wish I had a 4i4. Though maybe then a mixer would be a better bet.

You do get mixers that have an appropriate USB interface to connect with a PC and provide 2 input channels over the USB. So that is maybe an option to consider (@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby, can you share a little more on this option). Just have to be careful what you buy since some provide only a single input to the PC, a stereo feed of all the inputs mixed together.

But if you think there is almost no likelihood of needing more than an instrument and mic input for playing and singing, then a 2i2 (or suitable mixer/AI) would make more sense to me than a 8i6.

Keep in mind you will need either headphones or monitor speakers for playback. With that in mind I got started with a Focusrite Studio bundle (it does have everything as advertised, other than a microphone stand). Whether this is the best bang-for-your-buck vs buying a 2i2, mic and headphones/monitors separately, I couldn’t say. It did meet my needs.

Good to keep asking questions and exploring to help ensure you buy what is most suitable when you pull the trigger.

J.W.C and DavidP,
Big thanks for your information… i have read a lot these last days, and I started to get stuck.
Recently I don’t really have to pay attention to what I spend with this
kind of price range things…my wife keeps calling… a hobby can cost money, buy yourself some more,if you think you need it,
and preferably a black guitar … :rofl:…really and truly.
Because I have a guitar-learning friend who actually plays saxophone, I have a wife who recently started playing the piano…I’m going for the 4i4 just to be sure,.
Hopefully I’ll run out of this soon, that would be a great sign, but thinking about it, it won’t happen anytime soon…
And now start looking about mixers…oooh, this is going to be something…is there a end???
I guess not :see_no_evil: :grin: :sunglasses:

Keep in mind that the right mixer/AI product is an alternative to a 4i4. I’m on shaky ground but @TheMadman_tobyjenner would be able to make some sound suggestions.

I just realized that when i read it again…I was already putting together a shopping cart at Thomann…but I have just agreed with myself that I will wait at least 1 week and listen carefully and read what is written here…no rush Roger … …no rush roger.

1 Like

You have to be careful with mixers for this reason: mixing everything down into combined tracks into the audio interface (and, thus, into the DAW) means you cannot separate those tracks later for editing or mixing if you need to.

There are some mixers, like the Behringer XR18 that I have, which are, in effect, combined mixers and audio interfaces.

With the XR18 I have an 18 channel digital mixer as well as an 18 in, 18 out audio interface. This gives me almost any combination I want from treating each input as a separate channel to the PC/DAW, to mixing everything down to a stereo pair to the PC.

But most devices that are mixers with USB interfaces (like the Behringer Xenyx series) mix everything down to a stereo pair to the PC and you have no choice.

I would say that, unless you have good reason to want an external, standalone mixer for a PA, then go for an audio interface with as many inputs as you think you need. Adding an external mixer to an audio interface is always a compromise.

Note that in my case, in normal use I only use 2 or 3 channels of my XR18 into my PC. However, I used to regularly use my XR18 as a standalone mixer into a PA for local bands and, at times, I needed all 18 channels which is why I have this beast. For most people it’s total overkill.

Next month (subject to Covid) we are using it for sound for our local Panto, which will also use all 18 channels. In a couple of cases I have also connected my laptop to the XR18 whilst running sound for a band, and recorded all of the channels into a DAW.

As I say, though, for most people this will be overkill (and excessively complex). A basic audio interface with the right number of inputs for your maximum expected use is easiest to use and gives you best bang for the buck.

Cheers,

Keith

@DavidP sorry, did not see the call to arms but Keith has summed it up above.

Avoid mixers unless you specifically want a combined output ie a PA feed, unless its a combined mixer/multi out as Keith’s XR. AI like the Xenyx range are fine if you only want to record a single track/input at a time and mine (302, 802 & 1202) worked fine for that purpose but immediately boxed me into a corner when I started to record vocals and guitar simultaneously. The problem being a blended stereo mix being sent to the DAW, in other words no capability of adding vocal biased FX to the vocals and the same for the guitar input. Its all or nothing. So my advice avoid anything like the Xenyxs.

If I could roll back time I’d opt for something along the lines of the 2i2 or most likely 4i4 as they both give me what I thought I was getting in the first place but didn’t read the small print (or for that matter listen to Keith in a not so old post on t’other side). In fact my, bought for vocals only Behringer U-Phoria UM2, 2 in 2 out, would have been a better fit for purpose AI, for multi tracking, if the output was not so weak !

So it is wise to seek advice and check what you are buying is fit for the purpose you desire. Oh but make sure you read all the replies. Some one once recommended a UMC1820 around the time I got my X1202. Guess what’s sitting front and centre of the “studio” these days ??

2 Likes

That’s pretty sweet. I especially like the Linux software support. I didn’t know Behringer was offering that.

Guys , you make my day.......and since you guys are still using words that i hear for the first time in my life , i still have a lot to learn,........but for now do i know which interface i want to buy (focusrite 4i4), and the yahama hs 8 with stands......in our room are now standing 2 boxes from 93 cm high, so these are small enough,....my girl reacted as if it was a present for her, (she loved those boxes, so sweet little,she says)…I’m probably not there yet, and I probably have to order more,…so I’ll wait until the weekend…but this where the big stuff for now,…
Many thanks,
Rogier

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. It’s one of the reasons I opted for that over other devices. For my usage, it’s great. It is, however, also very complicated to use and it’s very easy to end up with no sound and scratching your head to wonder why.

Although, to a degree, it’s a bit like that with any mixer; I’ve had some interesting troubleshooting with an old Xenyx 1202 which I used to use into my PC and which, occasionally, stopped working because the cat had decided to walk over it and press a few buttons.

The complexity presented by mixers is another reason I would suggest to avoid them unless you have a specific need.

Having said that, if you do have the need, something like the XR18 will let you route stuff in all sorts of clever ways.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

@J.W.C …and also @DavidP …and also @david, but I only manage to tag 1 person???
Mmm i think it working now…I’ll leave the sentence as it is, just in case… :blush:

I have a question for you … because I also think of the yahamas,… and to everyone who has experience with this of course … I have found many different opinions on 1 subject, so here is THE question…
do you also listen to your regular music (dire straits etc.) on your monitors, and if so… are you satisfied with the sound?

I suspect that some of you now have to laugh at my question, because I already indicated a bit that they (maybe) will replace my large hi-fi boxes…

If some of you say that it is really not nice to listen to your “regular” music, then I may choose the smallest set of monitors…
Greeting, Rogier

Yes, I listen to “regular” music on my monitors. No complaints about the audio quality. They sound good.