Music Theory Grade 1 Test

In my opinion, the music theory lessons will complement anything and everything you do on your guitar journey. So, if you have the time, I would continue with the theory lessons, as long as you are able to play the topics that are being covered, in parallel with the beginner and intermediate lessons. You might reach a point where the lessons are too much ahead of your ability. But then just put them aside for awhile and come back later. I’ve been doing that for 3 or 4 years, now.

4 Likes

Todd @SocratesDiedTrolling
My view is that the two are not related in terms of grading, however I have just started grade 2 for the guitar and on grade 3 for theory and have found so far that learning the theory helps me understand what is going, but I am that sort of inquisitive type of person.
Michael :notes:

3 Likes

@MAT1953 @VeloVagabond

Thanks, guys! That all makes sense. I think I’ll just start into Music Theory Grade 2 and… play it by ear. :wink:

-Todd

2 Likes

@SocratesDiedTrolling
Grades 1 & 2 of theory are free anyway so it won’t hurt and won’t cost to give them both a try out.
There is no parallel or clear and direct correlation between beginner course grades and theory grades however.

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’ve just completed the music theory grade 1 videos and I’m eager to take the test… however I can’t see a link anywhere on the page, could someone help please.
Thanks in advance Chris

Hello @Cosmo66 and welcome to the Community.
Congratulations for starting on the music theory course - I hope it goes well.
The test resources, like other resources available throughout parts of the site, are found under the video player - click on Resources.

I hope that helps.

Cheers :smiley:

| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

3 Likes

Cheers Richard I’ll take a look.

Chris

1 Like

I’m a little confused with two of the answers in Q18, C to Bb, the correct answer says 10, I put 2 because I am going down two semitones to Bb, secondly, C to Eb, the correct answer says 3, my answer was 9, again, because I was lowering 9 semitones.

1 Like

@MikeJT1962 Going from C to Bb is going up the scale. Bb to C would going down.
Same with C to Eb is going up the scale. The direction you count is determined by the order of the notes.

1 Like

Hi Mike,

The instruction says “go clockwise” which means that the pitch has to be raised. Therefore, you go up from C to Bb and up from C to Eb.

What may be confusing here is that flats are used instead of sharps. In such cases it’s worth knowing the enharmonic equivalents as well (A# and D#, respectively).

1 Like

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. It makes sense to me now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like